• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Honest opinion about my clubs

shanker

Feb 11, 2008
I started seriously playing golf last june after I shattered my hand playing softball(i let it heal for a couple weeks first). I went to Pro Golf and they sold me a brand new set of Golden Bears complete with driver, irons, woods & 2 hybrids.
Recently I have upgraded my driver to a big Cobra which does hit bombs.

After playing a couple dozen times, I am getting the club fever. Callaway seems to be a forgiving club for a semi-newbie like myself. I am pretty good athlete but also a very lucky one catching on quickly. I have hit 300 yd drives a few times and my friends could not believe it along with some cool eagles. It is usually feast or famine. How far will these Golden Bears take me? How long did you guys wait before you got your second set of clubs?
Thanks for any replies!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Shanker,

Belief in your clubs are in the eye of the beholder. In other words, if they work for you, use them.

That being said, there are advantages to being fit into a proper set. My guess is you bought yours off the rack and ran to the range. Join the club, you're not alone.

If Callaway peaks your interest, I suggest heading down to a local fitter and getting fit for a set. The big box guys like Watts, Nevada's, etc. have some knowledgeable guys, but be wary - most just want to make a sale. Go get fitted a couple of times, it'll be worth the efforts.

Once you have your set picked out, use them until your skills are honed.

Good luck. This part of golf I find fascinating. :laugh:

R35

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Tell us more about your game . Shot shape. Do you hit it high average or low. What about your wedge play. What does your mistake shots generally look like.
slice, fade, pull, hook, skull, fat etc

post a swing video maybe

put your clubs on your signature

OP
S

shanker

Feb 11, 2008
Tell us more about your game . Shot shape. Do you hit it high average or low. What about your wedge play. What does your mistake shots generally look like.
slice, fade, pull, hook, skull, fat etc

post a swing video maybe

put your clubs on your signature
============================================
Well, when I struggle, it is usually off the tee.
Except for the shanks last saturday, when I miss a shot, I usually slice but I have almost resolved that completely. :)
My friend says my clubs look too short for me(i'm 6'2 / 250 lbs) and that I bend over more than I should at times. I did buy a set off the showroom floor and head for the range.
I actually hit my irons pretty well. I am still working on most shots but pitching and sandwedge are generally good. Recently started using the hybrids more and more.
I am a pretty consistent putter from 10-15 ft in.
That is a great idea. I will video my swing and also put my clubs in my sig.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If your 6'2" I'd say you definately need to be fitted. I'm the same height and bought off the rack clubs as you did, most of us do the 1st time or 2. When I did get fitted I found out mine were an inch to short and needed to be bent 2* upright. But everyone is different so that may not work for you. Call around and see if any instructors in your area do club fitting also, that way he has no agenda and will tell you what you need, not just try and sell you something he needs to move. Besides, if your just beginning, a lesson or 2 will get you started off right before any bad habits get too engrained.

And welcome to Shot Talk!!

OP
S

shanker

Feb 11, 2008
Great advice!
thanks. i actually have some lessons scheduled. Currently, I practice about twice a week weather permitting at range and I try to play once a week.
I agree with you about the height thing. My clubs are probably a little short for my body.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
I'm 6'3'' 240lbs and my clubs are +1 in length and upright 2*.

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
You ain't got a thing if you ain't got a swing. Think about this, Bobby Jones, Byran Nelson, Gene Sarazan, Sam Snead and Harry Vardon played with hickory sticks with club faces you wouldn't use today for garden tools. They played on greens that looked like shag carpet and fairways groomed like a typical city park. They were scratch! You really think its the clubs? Hit a few different irons. Pick the ones that look good to your eye and provide the most feedback to your hands to tell you what you did right and how it feels when you do something wrong. Best of luck.

🔥 Latest posts