• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

"Honey, I'm hot today!"

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Playing some good golf right now. All the planets are aligning!

I had a 1/4 final match last night, this time against another 19 h/c player. I had to give him 15 shots ffs!! We played off the championship tees and it was a relatively cool night with a moderate breeze (15mph).

I shot a 74 last Saturday (SSS was 73) and am currently very happy with my ball striking and scoring. Still the odd poor shot here and there but managing to minimise serious damage. I'm driving the ball really well and my short game is very tidy. My long range putting is still a bit suspect, but managing to hole a few alright.

Anyway back to the match last night. This guy was your archetypal bogey golfer. 3 shots to the green, 2 putts for a net par on most holes. For a 19 h/c he didn't make too many mistakes. But I was "on fire last night". :thumbs up: and sort of blew him away.

We shook hands on the 14th green. I was -3 over the stretch to beat him 5 and 4. Had one bogey, one eagle and two birdies. I hit 11 GIRs in the 14 holes and putted really well. The only bogey I made was the result of a drive that nestled badly in the rough (had to wedge it back in play). That's as solid as I have played in a long time.

Hopefully I can keep this wee spell going for a while! Oh, and I now face a guy playing off a 2 h/c in the semi-final!!

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Nice playing my man. I struggled with the whole concept of matchplay until last year. I hadn't won a single match in the previous 4 years of competition. My simple ethos was to keep the ball in play and don't give a hole away cheaply. Long story short - won the competition last year.

Was up in Warrenpoint recently playing in the last 32 of an All Ireland event - we were sent home tail between the legs :unhappy: .

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Cheers Boys.

My strategy was to play medal play on the card. I actually marked my score and just focused on my game regardless of what he did. Got that tidbit from a Ryder Cup book I just finished.

Sort of figure that to worry about what he will do or to play shots depending on what he did is reactive golf. All I can do is worry about my own game, the match will take care of itself. With a medal card in your hand you tend to play relatively conservatively.

Now if I am all square playing the 18th and he sticks it OB, and I still have to play, I may have to rethink that.

🔥 Latest posts