• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Honorable Companies

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Many of you know that my Father passed away earlier this year at the age of 51. In the age of 'every man for himself' and an economic downturn i was impressed by what his employer did for the family. Maybe this is a normal deal, but i figured i would share...

My Father worked for this railroad company for almost 30 years, so a solid dedicated employment but nothing monumental really.

After my Father passed, they sent a representative out to my parents house to discuss arrangements for insurance/pay/etc. Which i found nice that we didn't have to drive the hour to get to their office especially during this trying time. She explained that the company would pay for 3 months passed the current month of health insurance, pay out all of his holiday, sick, and other paid time off he was owed for the year, pay out his life insurance policy he held through them, and how they would pay his pension.

What surprised me here was they were even paying out his holiday pay for the whole year of 2009 up front. He passed in January. The pension states that spouses need to be 60 to collect, they started my mother right away, as well as including double what my sister was owed due to an untimely death.

At the visitations, not only did his immediate co-workers attend(lots of them), but the owner of the railroad himself attended as well. That impressed me greatly. His closest co-workers were pallbearers in the funeral and the rail-road not only paid them for the day, the allowed them to use some of their very nice company Cadillacs to attend.

Now what brought this up, just before Christmas, my mother recieved an envelope that included a very nice and heart felt typed and hand signed letter from the owner of the rail road with three 2010 calendars where they dedicated January to my father. This includes a photo of my Dad ascending the stairs to Engine 4009, the caption reads "Duane Clark ascends the ladder to Wisconsin Southern Engine 4009, one last time".

Also enclosed with that letter was $100 for my Mother and $50 each for me and my sister. Something else that was not anticipated at all but appreciated greatly none the less.

I am awestruck by the level of respect this company has shown for my father and his family. There are still companies out there that treat there employee's well even after employment has ceased.

Thank you, Wisconsin Southern Rail Road.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Thank you for posting this Clark. It sometimes gets frustrating how some companies are, but see acts like this still happening means so much.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
Now that is taking care of an employee.

Our country doesn't even take care of our armed forces and their families that well. (SADLY)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Great post, Clark.

I think alot of what transpired from the company reflects directly on your father and your family. And that's something you or anyone else can ever put a price on.

Kudos to them for doing this, and a tip of the cap to your father for being the man that he was.

R35

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Great post Clark, thanks for sharing that with us. And like has been said, kudos to the company, that is amazing and heart warming to hear about in this day and time.

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
Great post. It's nice to see some companies still appreciate the "common man".

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Fantastic post eclark.

I know the Wisconsin Southern Rail Road didn't do such great deeds as a PR exercise but that company certainly deserves to have its altruism recognised throughout the U.S. Have you thought of notifying some of the large media organisations in the U.S.?

The flow on effect from publicity (IMO) would likely have a positive communal effect. Other companies may be sparked lifting their standards. & it would certainly be a confirmation for Wisconsin Southern Rail Road that it is doing the right thing.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Fantastic post eclark.

I know the Wisconsin Southern Rail Road didn't do such great deeds as a PR exercise but that company certainly deserves to have its altruism recognised throughout the U.S. Have you thought of notifying some of the large media organisations in the U.S.?

The flow on effect from publicity (IMO) would likely have a positive communal effect. Other companies may be sparked lifting their standards. & it would certainly be a confirmation for Wisconsin Southern Rail Road that it is doing the right thing.

I agree, it would be great to see such a company be used as example.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
All of this makes me think that your Dad must of have been one hell of a good man.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
that was an awesome story, and one that definitely needs to be shared beyond just the readers of this forum. Seeing loyalty rewarded like that is heart warming. Thanks for sharing, and my condolences on your father's untimely death.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
That is SUCH a heartwarming story....what total class from a company...and speaks volumes of your dear father.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
The truth is MOST companies are honorable. We just live in a country right now where business is constantly portrayed as bad.

🔥 Latest posts