• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hooking problems, just with my driver

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Reaction score
somebody on TGC said that you can never stand too close to the ball. but, what is a good test based to see how far away to stand, for my driver.

ive been hooking the ball like crazy lately, does anybody have any suggestions?? ive turned my left hand on the grip more left, ive tried tilting my shoulders back.

all this hooking started after i changed my iron swing to hit down on the ball more.

what i have been doing is like a push hook, either it starts out way right and hooks a little bit(which is bad for me, i play on a course with alot of trees close to the teebox) or it starts out straight but super low(like 10 ft off the ground) and hooks like crazy.

sometimes just randomly, it will push 50-60 yds right and then fade but that only happens 5 times a round.

thanks guys, this hook is really starting to bother me.

Your arms should hang straight down. With proper posture you will likely have not much more room between your hands and your hips than a fist with you thumb sticking out. It would make sense that you would hook or slice the ball if you are too far away, as it gives you a flatter swing and you swing around your body, which means the face is square for a shorter period of time. Although there could be many more causes.

Undo the change that caused the problem,then start again.You don't really need to change a swing to hit down more,hitting down and through the ball happens as a result of doing a lot of other things right

Well, not being able to see your swing I can only suggest the two most prominent things I've found:

A) Make sure your hands aren't turning over too fast in your upswing(i.e. right before contact with the ball through finish).

B) Make sure you aren't leading your downswing with your hips.

OTT move maybe? I have had this problem with the driver the past few months. Cure, take the arms and clubhead back as one piece, very wide, start the transition smooth and wait till it's in the slot to turn on the power. If you are also occasionally hitting skyballs that are out of the ordinary, you definitely are afflicted by OTT move that has been plagueing me.

Cure, take the arms and clubhead...

Oh I thought it was going to say "Buy more drivers, real or not." :p

Actually I forgot about this, and Ezra has a good point.

apparently it was fixed today.... i didnt hit a hook all day, it was either a small tight draw or a 10 yd fade.

hit the ball very long today too, as well as straight. i drove the 8th hole(very short 272 a tad downhill) and made my first ever eagle.

i think i was standing too far away from the ball, the closer i stood today, the more it faded, and i eventually got it to straight/ small fade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520

3. 15,300