• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Horse trading works out

bryguy

May 15, 2008
I have been struggling off the tee lately, crushing the ball , but have not putting the ball in the fairway. Ok, so I had several extra clubs laying around that I was not using. so I figure a trip to the local GS was in order to trade in a few clubs and see what was on special driver wise. Dumped 2 drivers, a 7 wood and a 3 wood. Picked up a Calllaway FT-IQ, 2 dozen Bridgestone B-330's, and got a nice little merchandise credit left over. Anyway, with the Iq in play, have not been as long off the tee, but that son of a gun is money. Probably about 20 or 30 yds shorter off the tee, but the trade off in accuracy has been well worth it. I had crepy back up inot the 90's again, but in 3 rounds of putting it in play, all 3 rounds have been in the low 80's. I'll happily take a 270 yd drive in the center of the fairway versus a 290 yarder in the trees. Lesson learned. The chase for extra distance had caused me some issues, and my scores showed it. Kinda has been an eye opener for me.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I've been killing the ball with my driver, and I think I've gotten it down to 3 swing-checkpoints to look at during my practice-swing/waggle.

1.) Alignment. Set up and rock-steady.
2.) Come from the inside; hit the ball with the right hip.
3.) Turn all parts of the body through the ball, hold nothing back. "Let it go." This one is critical, because I'd been failing to turn through my shots and hitting it all over the place.

When I do these things, I just kill the ball. 260 carry into the wind (I assume, as I finished at 283). Lovin it. The odd thing between you and I is that I seem to hit the ball much farther when I really "let it go." When I try to make some conservative little swing I end up guiding the club and spraying it all over. I'm more accurate when I turn through the ball like a madman. It's odd that you lost so much distance with the IQ, but losing distance and still hitting it 270 is pretty sweet.

OP
B

bryguy

May 15, 2008
SUX, I have also made some swing changes,like I am no longer going at the ball full speed. I have really focussed on my tempo, and making smooth swings. On Trackman yesterday, with a 106 ss everything was good number wise(L.A. 14*, Ballspeed 157mph, spin 2142, decent angle was in the 40* range or so) at full speed 112mph, everything went to hell in a hand basket. Swing path sucked, everything was all over the place.
I guess that the reason the distance lost witht the IQ has to do with spin. I had this same driver in 10* before, and the combo of the 10* IQ head and the fubuki just generated to much spin for me. I'll bet that the current setup is in the 3000 rpm range or higher, but the ball just goes straight. I could probably tweek it some and get everything better, but I am at a point where distance off the tee is not going to help me much score wise. I need to be in postion off the tee to be hitting mid and short irons into the greens. The key for me to have a good round is to hit a bunch of GIR's. If I hit a good number of GIR's then I can do ok scoring. The key for me to hit GIR's is to be in the fairway. The IQ does that, so I really see no need to tinker with drivers anymore. Ther are not many courses we play around here where 270 off the tee is not plenty. anyway, I know the where to go next with the driver after yesterday's trackman session. FT-Iz and a Diamana whiteboard is where I need to go next driver wise, just not ready to drop $700 on a driver right now.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
I know the where to go next with the driver after yesterday's trackman session. FT-Iz and a Diamana whiteboard is where I need to go next driver wise, just not ready to drop $700 on a driver right now.

Bry, not to get you to spend extra cash, but you can have that combo for right at $250 delivered if you go i-mix and Cally preowned. They've got a sale on the Whiteboards for $146.00 in a 72 Stiff or an 73 X-Stiff and the heads are under a 100.

OP
B

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Eddie, thanks for the heads up, but the do not have the FT-Iz head up there yet. This is the new triangular head callaway has out. Kinda ugly, but that thing was the best for me number wise. Still may go with the 8.4 Ft-Iq tour and a whiteboard for $221 next week if they are still running that special.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Eddie, thanks for the heads up, but the do not have the FT-Iz head up there yet. This is the new triangular head callaway has out. Kinda ugly, but that thing was the best for me number wise. Still may go with the 8.4 Ft-Iq tour and a whiteboard for $221 next week if they are still running that special.

For some reason I thought you were looking for the IQ. I'm with you though, next year I'll give the iz a go after Cally preowned gets them.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.