• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hosel boring...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I know this has been discussed before but I couldn't find the old thread. If I wanted to bore out a set of .355's to fit .370 how hard would it be? Is it as simple as buying the correct drill bit?

From this link, is the correct bit the last 2? What is the difference between the last 2? Thanks All!

DRILL BITS - The GolfWorks

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Of the last two, the more expensive one is cobalt plated to help increase the life of the bit. It is really not hard to ream a .355 to .370. Most say you need a clamp and drill press, but I have done it with a vice and cordless drill with good results.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Of the last two, the more expensive one is cobalt plated to help increase the life of the bit. It is really not hard to ream a .355 to .370. Most say you need a clamp and drill press, but I have done it with a vice and cordless drill with good results.

That's what I was thinking of doing, a vise and cordless drill-maybe a level thrown in for good measure. So, probably spending the extra $5 may not be a bad idea. I'm thinking I can pull this off if I find a set of irons. My reason for doing this is that I love the FST 125 shaft and want them in my irons, problem as you may have guessed is they don't come in .355.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I figured it was because you wanted the FST iron shafts. The more expensive bit is probably not a bad idea since you will be doing a whole set, and probably one after the other. Just try to not let it get too hot. If you have a drill bit index, it helps to do the size under first, to make sure it's straight. My index goes by 1/64th's, and I believe that .355 is 2 bits smaller then .370. I know .370 is 3/8".

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I figured it was because you wanted the FST iron shafts. The more expensive bit is probably not a bad idea since you will be doing a whole set, and probably one after the other. Just try to not let it get too hot. If you have a drill bit index, it helps to do the size under first, to make sure it's straight. My index goes by 1/64th's, and I believe that .355 is 2 bits smaller then .370. I know .370 is 3/8".

I have a ton of drill bits, but do they need to be special drill bits to bore out the hosel?

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I have a ton of drill bits, but do they need to be special drill bits to bore out the hosel?

Nope. Just use your 3/8" bit. I've only done one and the bit tried to bite a lot, I guess maybe because there isn't much to take out or something? I dunno. Just make sure it's clamped really well.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Best to practice this a few hundred times before attempting on irons you actually like

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Best to practice this a few hundred times before attempting on irons you actually like

LOL, I was thinking that was the case also. I guess it would probably be easier to just find .370 heads, unfortunately cheap OEM heads are all .355's and I am having a hard time finding some decent components that I like and are affordable. Oh well.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You could send them to Dana Upshaw to be bored out. Or maybe Golfworks.

I bet Rory or Ken would do it too. If you have a jig set up for a drill press, it's pretty easy if you have the right tools and some know-how.

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.