• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hosel Rocket...

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Today on 16 - I am just out of gas...

I hit a good drive (its a downhill hole). I have 100 yards to the pin.

In case you haven't figured it out already - there are many sidehill lies on our track. But I have played it forever so what the hell.

So here I am with my Cleveland 54 - my 100 yard club - with a somewhat downhill/sidehill lie.

Man I am pooped and I shank the crap out of it. The dude goes 45 degrees to the right over a creek.

Our guest is a great guy and he yells out...

"Hosel Rocket!!"

I have to laugh...I said, "Looks more like a shank to me..."

He says, "Never say the S word, Never."

I'll be damned if he doesnt stand up there and shank one himself....no I mean Hosel Rocket one.

And he's a decent player himself - index 9.

Anyway, anybody ever heard this term or the "never say the S word" deal??

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
As most of you know. I love the shanks. The video is still up for everyone to enjoy.

As to your question though...when I told various people of my woes that one evening, some of them responded with "never say the S word" or something along those lines...hence in the video where there's a bit that says "The Shanks, the S word of golf" or something. Some people lower their voices and say "I...*whisper*shanked*/whisper* one yesterday."

Weirdos. Maybe I'm desensitized.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Nah, doesn't bother me. If I'm hitting it like shit, there are many, many ways to describe it that would embarrass a sailor instead of using the word "shank".

Hosel rocket, I haven't heard that in a while...

My favorite shot is a 105 yard wedge that you clip thin and sail over the green at about 10 feet off the ground and the ball ends up 100 feet past the pin in the trees. When that happens, we all look at each other, shrug our shoulders and say "Nice course management, took the bunkers outta play there". Then we laugh hysterically as the guy searches in the trees for his ball.

R35

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I was pissed at the shot but laughed when he called it a hosel rocket.

I took the front of the green out of play...

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
rockford35 said:
Nah, doesn't bother me. If I'm hitting it like shit, there are many, many ways to describe it that would embarrass a sailor instead of using the word "shank".

Hosel rocket, I haven't heard that in a while...

My favorite shot is a 105 yard wedge that you clip thin and sail over the green at about 10 feet off the ground and the ball ends up 100 feet past the pin in the trees. When that happens, we all look at each other, shrug our shoulders and say "Nice course management, took the bunkers outta play there". Then we laugh hysterically as the guy searches in the trees for his ball.

R35

so you're the asshat that's always laughing at me

jackhole

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Asshat. That's new.

And it's going right into the repetoire.... ;)

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo said:

A few months ago I walked into a friends office to ask for some advice regarding s____s. Not knowing any better I used the actual word and the next thing I know he's holding his hands over his ears saying, "never say it, never say it". He's been a scratch golfer since he was a teenager so I figured he knew what he was talking about.

Even Harvey Penick in his Little Red Book doesn't like to use the word. He prefers to call it a lateral shot.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Yeah, you're not supposed to say shank because it does get into your head. It's a bit superstitious for me though.

I suffer from the shanks every spring. It's just so much fun.

I did like asshat. Haven't used that one yet. Going to though.

One of my friends suffers whenever you say the words "Johnny Snaphook". I have no idea why that gets him to snaphook every time, but it does. He usually plays a fade.

The power of suggestion.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
caddyshackgolf said:
I have never heard anyone say hosel racket before. Just ceratain s words cough shank cough.

"swing and a miss.......... man, give that guy a hosel racket, "

and with all that surface area,

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo said:

Just in case you need more evidence, I left a little early yesterday hoping to get in 18 before dark. It started on the second hole, (you know the S's) and by the 9th I had had enough and went home.

Apparently even seeing the word in print is enough to launch an episode. I'll be going to the range before heading back to the course.

Sling, we need a new forum rule. Any mention of the S word will be cause for banning, (not counting my just mentioning it of course). :p

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Boy I love spring.

My course finally opened at noon on Saturday. I played both Sat and Sun.

I'm happy to say I'm ONLY averaging 5 S's per round.

When you have 5 "Hosel Rockets" per round, you just can't score. Nor can you trust your swing at all, so every iron becomes a pull.

I'd rather shoot (as a 6 summer handi) 87-87 over the weekend with 5 sha___ and 3 3-putts per round than to not play at all.

Boy I love spring.

🔥 Latest posts