• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How bad does this game get?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I was playing on Saturday and the guy in the group ahead was mouthing off. I see him regularly, but have never played with him.

He was cursing his bad shots, getting frustrated etc. sort of in a sad but funny way. Turns out he used to be a decent player 8 or 9 h/c several years ago.

Well one day apparently he just snapped. After finishing his round, he walked into the pro shop seething and asked the pro to sell his clubs. He didn't touch a golf club for 9 years after that. He has only recently gotten back to the game.

Imagine the conversation in the pro-shop.

"Take these mother effing clubs and get me any money you can for them." :mad:
"But all the shafts are bent on them, they are probably only worth £5"
"I'll take it you robbing bastard! Now where's the bar. Ima gonna soak me up a bottle of Bushmills before going home to beat up the wife and kids"
"OK, do you want a receipt?"
"Shove it up your arse Mista!"

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
We have a guy like that on our course...he is alternatively known as Bagthrower or Clubthrower.

We'll be teeing off and somebody will say, "We're behind Bagthrower - watch for shrapnel".

It is not a pretty picture - the talking he gets behind his back...

If they only knew.

S

shortwavez

thats funny cause i can say the same for a guy at my course as well. its amazing how crazy ppl can get.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I heard a good follow-up to this...

My father in law was playing on Saturday. One of the member sof his group plays off a 5 h/c. His putting was obviously letting him down all day. Now this guy has a history of club throwing. Anyway this dude comes off 14 after a 3 putt. He's obviously pissed. He then tees off 15, as do all the others in the 4 ball. When he gets to his bag, he eventually snaps!! Literally, as he takes the putter out and puts it across his knee, twice!

This is 5 minutes after the 3 putt. That's an awesome display of Volcano golf!

I just don't get these guys. Golf is supposed to be a game of fun, right?

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
I heard a good follow-up to this.......I just don't get these guys. Golf is supposed to be a game of fun, right?

Apart from when ya get the wrong line on a blind shot ;) .... how's things ? ... just back from Portugal, catching up on last week's diatribes

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
Apart from when ya get the wrong line on a blind shot ;) .... how's things ? ... just back from Portugal, catching up on last week's diatribes

Dave, man. I was just thinking about your ace the other day and how crackin' it was, with a marvellous sense of occasion etc. and you're still banging on about a dodgey line?

Good break? Any golf or was it all family stuff?

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Dave Ireland said:

I'm with ya, Dave. Used to be a game for gentlemen.

Did you get any golf in while you were away? Any photos?

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Howya Lads,

Only golf I saw last week was on the coach passing by the courses. I'd actually forgotten how barren/arid Portugal is other than the lush acreage of the golf courses. I spent 3 days finding out who won US Open - good win for Campbell, I always saw him as a steely individual in the mould of Goosen.

We had an apartment with front & back garden, seeded with bermuda and bent grass. i had a 15 second golf conversation with herself about the merits and characteristics of the different types of grass we play golf on - it kinda ended when she said - "I thought all grass was the same, only difference is long and short grass"....

The heat was so oppresive anyways there was no way you'd golf in other than a cart, kinda gives you a more tolerant opinion of those molly coddled Americans playing in 40* on their perfectly manicured course with beer tents every 2nd hole ;) - also explains as to why Bravo has pencilled in November for the tourney in 'Bama.

As for pics, the only ones I took were of 19 - 25 year old dollies by the swimming pool, oiling copious amounts on sun cream onto their giblets - but who'd wanna see them - anyways I think IG might have his crown taken away as the numero uno adult star wannbe :D

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
anyways I think IG might have his crown taken away as the numero uno adult star wannbe :D

Is that a painful operation? :wow:

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Hey David:

Good to hear from ya and glad you had a good time...

Come on lets see the pics!!

Hey what do you Irishes think about Dublin's own Paddy Harrington's dramatic victory in the Barclay's yesterday??

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Bravo said:
Hey David:

Good to hear from ya and glad you had a good time...

Come on lets see the pics!!

Hey what do you Irishes think about Dublin's own Paddy Harrington's dramatic victory in the Barclay's yesterday??

That was sweet. 2 tourneys in 1 year. Coming of age? I was a week out with the US Open! Damn! :mad:

But what was just as interesting was Jean Van der Veld's return to form, losing in a play-off to another Frenchie in the French Open. Great to see him back, although he appears to still be choking like a donkey (or like IG). Finished with a bogie and then hit a triple in the play-off.

On the last note, I managed to screw up yet again on the home stretch. On Saturday I was +1 standing on the 17th tee and finished +4 despite hitting 17 and 18 greens in regualtion. A 3 putt from 12ft. followed by a 4 putt (including a missed 3" one handed affair) cost me yet another tournament. 7 effin' putts in 2 holes!! 40 points would have won me Saturday's Cup, instead I languished in Jnt. 9th on 37 points. But on the positive I had 4 birdies and hit my third successive 76! So I got that going for me, which is nice.

They invented the word "brain fart" for dudes like me. My day will come, you wait and see. :)

MyGolfDomain.com

Apr 2, 2005
My favorite tournament all year was last weekend. I anxiously wait to play in this two day tournament at a great course. I double bogeyed 3 out of the first 4 holes and picked up (birdied the short par 5). I just messed around the rest of the front nine then left. I paid $125 or so to be able to play and only played 4 holes "seriously". 62 was the low round for day 1 (!). I would have shot mid 80's to low 90's.

I "quit" at that point, but tomorrow is another day. I just hit some balls and played 9 from the white tees at an easy course to get outside and hopefully get back some of my confidence and interest in golf. My irons were still off, but I shot 35, 1 under. Here is the round.

http://www.mygolfdomain.com/round_view.php?round=624

Funny game.

Mister Bater

Jan 13, 2005
MyGolfDomain.com said:
My favorite tournament all year was last weekend. I anxiously wait to play in this two day tournament at a great course. I double bogeyed 3 out of the first 4 holes and picked up (birdied the short par 5). I just messed around the rest of the front nine then left. I paid $125 or so to be able to play and only played 4 holes "seriously". 62 was the low round for day 1 (!). I would have shot mid 80's to low 90's.

I "quit" at that point, but tomorrow is another day. I just hit some balls and played 9 from the white tees at an easy course to get outside and hopefully get back some of my confidence and interest in golf. My irons were still off, but I shot 35, 1 under. Here is the round.

http://www.mygolfdomain.com/round_view.php?round=624

Funny game.

Quitters never win and winners never quit.

" Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.'' Winston Churchill.

🔥 Latest posts