• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How big a PIA is drilling out hosels?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
If I wanted to experiment with reshafting a set of irons that are .355 taper tip, and wanted to use graphite shafts that are .370 parallel tip, how big of a pain in the ass is it to ream out the hosels?

I had Dana Upshaw do this for my Hogans when he reshafted them, but I want to do my "experimental" set myself.

I do have a small drill press. Do I need to make some kind of a clamp for holding the heads? Will a standard 3/8 bit work?

Should I just forget it and drink beer instead?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
It's pretty easy, as long as you have the heads lined up and held properly. Otherwise, you're effed.

Get some good press oil and go slow.

R35

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
It's pretty easy, as long as you have the heads lined up and held properly. Otherwise, you're effed.

Get some good press oil and go slow.

R35

Good advice and I would recommend going to a place where they have used clubs in a bargain bin and experiment with those......I've never seen ANYONE do it right the first time.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Good advice and I would recommend going to a place where they have used clubs in a bargain bin and experiment with those......I've never seen ANYONE do it right the first time.

AGreed. If you find the head I tried the first time in the bargain bin, don't do that like I did. ;)

You'll find some heads easier than others, but slow and low, that's the tempo.

R35

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country

Good idea. :)

I'll see if I can find some fugly Callaway shovels.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Hmmm, just found out that Golfsmith has 3 models of graphite iron shafts available in .355 taper, so no drilling required if I went with one of them:

Grafalloy Attack Lite, $19.99 each
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue, $28.99 each
Graphite Design, Tour AD 85, $69.99 each OUCH!!

Is the Attack Lite a decent shaft? Or should I stick with the original plan of drilling out the hosels so I can get a better selection?

🔥 Latest posts