• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How 'bout them CHIEFS!!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I about gave up on the Chiefs in the first half. Eagles marching down the field. Mahomes 'hopping' to the sideline with a bad ankle. Gonna be a blow out for the Eagles.

Never count Mahomes out!! Came back after the half and put it to the Eagles. Defense finally showed up in the second half. Seems every single Chiefs game comes down to the final minutes... or seconds... and they win.

Rumors Coach Reid may retire. Would be a devastating loss! But, the list will be long of good coaches wanting the change to coach this team.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
That holding call was complete bullshit and determined the outcome of the game. Terrible.
From Bradberry, the CB from the Eagles who was called for the foul:
"It was a holding," he said. "I tugged his jersey. I was hoping they would let it slide."

You can't just swallow the whistle in the last 2 minutes. If you do, you would have more people saying the same for not calling the foul.

1676476855974.png

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Nope. There was ten times that going on all season, and to call that soft of a hold at the most critical point of the most critical game to put one team into scoring position at the very end is bullshit.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Nope. There was ten times that going on all season, and to call that soft of a hold at the most critical point of the most critical game to put one team into scoring position at the very end is bullshit.
... so I assume you also disagree with the offsides they called on the Chiefs on 4th and 2 that gave the Eagles a first, simply because some of the refs didn't call them all season. Crucial call in a critical game, only lined up a couple inches offsides?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I don't have a dog in the fight, but I agree...that 'tug' should not have been a foul.

I don't know what the official language of the rule is, but in my opinion(which doesn't mean much) if it doesn't impede the receiver, it's not a foul. I don't think that tug on the jersey even remotely impeded that receiver.

I'm also semi-convinced that to a certain extent...professional football is scripted...but that's another thread.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Let's be clear here. The call on the field was Holding, not Pass interference. It was before the ball was in the air.

ARTICLE 6. DEFENSIVE HOLDING

It is defensive holding if a player grasps an eligible offensive player (or his jersey) with his hands, or extends an arm or arms to cut off or encircle him. See 12-1-6.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Let's be clear here. The call on the field was Holding, not Pass interference. It was before the ball was in the air.

ARTICLE 6. DEFENSIVE HOLDING

It is defensive holding if a player grasps an eligible offensive player (or his jersey) with his hands, or extends an arm or arms to cut off or encircle him. See 12-1-6.
That's great.

Lets call it on every single play then, because I just watched the 'highlights' of the game and saw holding according to that definition on almost every single play that was on the highlights....for both sides. As far as I recall, that was the ONLY time it was called the entire game. There were plenty of other examples of greater magnitude in my opinion.

The issue we (at least I) have with it, is that it was only called on a play that had significant direct impact on the end result of the game. Not if it was 'technically' holding according to the rule on paper.

It would be like pulling someone over for going 56 in a 55. Is it technically speeding? Absolutely, nobody would argue it wasn't. Would I still be pissed if I got pulled over specifically for going 1 over? Yes.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
That's great.

Lets call it on every single play then, because I just watched the 'highlights' of the game and saw holding according to that definition on almost every single play that was on the highlights....for both sides. As far as I recall, that was the ONLY time it was called the entire game. There were plenty of other examples of greater magnitude in my opinion.

The issue we (at least I) have with it, is that it was only called on a play that had significant direct impact on the end result of the game. Not if it was 'technically' holding according to the rule on paper.

It would be like pulling someone over for going 56 in a 55. Is it technically speeding? Absolutely, nobody would argue it wasn't. Would I still be pissed if I got pulled over specifically for going 1 over? Yes.
For me it's real simple. Anytime a guy has a handful of jersey, and the ref calls it, I can't blame the ref for calling the penalty. Is anyone here really disputing it was a penalty by rule??? Not even the defender. In that same sense, if an offensive lineman got called for having a handful of jersey of a pass rusher, I wouldn't be saying it was in the last 2 minutes they should let them play. Live footage, I thought it was a bullshit call, until I saw he had a handful of jersey. Which changed things.

Talking about other uncalled penalties over the course of the game or season is what is BS in my opinion. Not sure I have ever seen any game in any team sport where refs where 100% correct in their calls.

Kinda like old school golf. It would be like saying if a ball was in footprint in the sand, or fairway divot, it would have been OK to move your ball, but only if it could affect the outcome of an important competition. If it's a BS rule, change the frick'in rule to give the ref more leniency in using their judgement as to how it would have affected the play like they have in pass interference. Or I guess it would be easier to just blame the ref. Better yet, just pull the refs off the field for the last 2 minutes of the game.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I don't think it's BS to want refs to call games consistently regardless of game scenario...Why is wanting consistency the 'radical' idea here?

If they're going to call it by the book, then call it by the book all the time(or at least most considering the human element). If you're going to 'let them play' then let them play all the time. That's not unreasonable at all in my opinion. If an umpire calls a tight inside zone and loose outsize zone for both teams and generally calls it the same consistently, I don't care that he's calling pitches that are technically a ball a strike or vise versa. As long as he does so consistently and for both teams, we're all good.

I don't think the golf analogy holds water. I would expect a golfer to take any advantage of any rule in the rule book as they're acting in their own interests. This isn't that. This is a referee, a third party that is supposed to be consistently applying rules and aren't doing that based on what I see.

When you miss or ignore a certain type of foul for most of the game even though there are numerous and egregious examples of it, only to call it in a key part of a game. That's not right. It makes it look as if they're purposefully attempting to alter the outcome of the game.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Interesting discussion. As PA Jayhawk said, I've never watched a football game where the officiating crew is 100% correct on each call. That is proven over and over via replay.

I applaud the Eagles player and coaching staff and how they responded. They did not whine. The player said he had hold of the jersey. Eagles said they caught a bad break but will be back to the SB next year.

No matter whether the call should or should not have been made, the game is over and the trophy is in KC until next February. Honestly, I would love to see a rematch in 2024 and have the Eagles get a chance at revenge. They are one heck of a great team! We saw the best of both conferences and a game that went to the final seconds.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Yep, I have already moved on to College Basketball

Limpalong, what a log jam in the Big 12 (10), Oy Vey. While I am obviously biased, that is probably the best conference I have ever seen in College Basketball. Three tied for 1st. 6 teams within 2 games, 6 ranked teams, 3 in the top ten. None of the 10 have a losing record.

Looks like they will get at least 8 in the dance, very possibly 9.

🔥 Latest posts