• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How did you get introduced to this great game?

The master

Oct 24, 2004
I was just thinking to myself earlier about how I started playing this game. It was about 6 years ago I had been watching golf on tv and decided I wanted to give it ago. I had occasional hit a ball up and down the football feilds but didn't know anything about golf. My first real experience of golf was due to one friend the same age as me and my brother. They both took me out on seperate occasions to the local par 3 course so I could give this game a go, I seemed to take to it quite quickly and had no problem hitting the ball, soon after that I got myself a half decent set of clubs and applied for membership at a local club, and that summer got accepted. I played in all the clubs junior competitions, and in my first year brought my handicap of 36 down to 18, I then continued to improve every year and got down to 5 at the age of 15, I haven't improved to much since then due to other things in live, but I still love this game and will hopefully play it throughout my lifetime. I am so glad I was introduced to golf and I have met a load of great people through this game and learnt a lot.

What is everyone else story of how they were introduced to this game? I'm sure everyone else is a lot more interesting as well, and I am interested to hear.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I had played baseball since 3rd grade to 8th grade. The summer between 8th and 9th I went to a State Championship (finished 3rd), I was the best second baseman they had. However, the coach's son was also 2nd base. Out of six games, I played two and a half innings. Got up to bat three times, and each time got on base.

Sick of politics, so I went to a solo sport. Never looked back.

clemsonhacker

uncle sam's slave
Aug 15, 2006
a good freind on mine played alot and i wanted to try it...he got 3 people at one time hooked on golf(like like CRACK)

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Needed something to spend my $$ on & the choices were either crack whores or golf, I figured golf would be cost me less in the long run.

I was wrong:laugh:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I rode on the golf cart with my grandparents when I was 4. My grandfather cut down a sweet Jack Nicklaus persimmon 3 wood, a Hogan 5 iron and a Spalding 9 iron so I could whack the ball around while they waited on tee boxes.

I was 10 when I got my first birdie, 11 when I got my first eagle.

I was 14 when I first beat my grandfather. He played to about a 6 for many, many years.

I was 19 when I got my first ace.

I was 21 when I shot 69. Second ace that same game.

I turned 30 on September 16th and haven't broken 78.

It's all downhill from here. :D

R35

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Needed something to spend my $$ on & the choices were either crack whores or golf, I figured golf would be cost me less in the long run.

I was wrong:laugh:

LOL - you could have had a harem of crack whores and gotten away cheaper.

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
I grew up near a golf course and me and my mates used to go swimming in the dam getting golf balls and sellling them to the golfers. From there I had another mate who played a bit and got me interested. I borrowed an old set from a neighbour and we used to go up to the course at 5.00 in the morning and play a few holes till the greens staff or members chased us off. It just grew from there.

I also was lucky enough to grow up watching Seve at his peak. I remember staying up late watching him win his Opens.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
My dad golfed with my grandfather and so I rode along with them like the rest of us but really never got hooked on it unitl about 2 years ago now im a golf whore.

RustyL

Sep 20, 2007
My buds had been begging me to play but, they only played on weekends. I fish on weekends,though I quit at the end of May every year. So I went out and bought these clubs you see listed in my signature. I never expected to enjoy this game much. Wrong!!!! I've been having a blast. Next Feb. I'm going to join a club here by the house. Now they don't want to golf a here I am with these clubs, so I have been going solo. It is still fun. I have met some great people on the course whom do not mind showing me some things. Fishermen on the other hand are liars, well except me.....:)

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
I was 15 when my Dad and brother finally agreed to take me out on the real golf courses to play a round. That first day I went out for my first time and beat my dad. Never looked back after that. I went from a 24 handi at 16 and now Im 17 and carry a 7 (and still dropping). Planning on golfing in college also, so we will see what happens.

brendy

Oct 20, 2007
Used to caddy for my dad when i was an early teenager years ago, took the game up seriusly at 18 went from 18 to 12 then down to 6 in around a year, played of 6 for 2 years then with various reasons had to give the game up for 5 1/12 years and got started again last year when I was told about a possibility of full membership in one go rather than the house/5day/6day/full membership route.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
My dad played golf so I expect it was natural for my brothers and I to follow in his footsteps.

My first memory of anything to do with golf was when I was about 4 or 5. My dad had gone into the clubhouse (obviously for a few pints) and left us outside. My brother and I wandered over to the 18th green. I remember disticntly playing marbles and were trying to roll them into a hole with a flag.

Next thing I remember men screaming at us to "gte off the green" and people furiously knocking the windows from the club bar indicating that we should move.

We moved pretty quickly, knowing that we had doen something wrong but not sure what. I remeber our dad shouting at us. We had no real idea what the hell was happening, but that was my introduction to golf.

I started playing when I was 9 or 10. We lived very close to the golf course so I spent most summers playing 36+ holes a day. Started playing with a junior Dunlop BlueFash 4 wood, 4,6,8,PW (my mum's Patty Bergs split with my brother) and a basic mallet putter.

The rest, as they say, is history!

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I didn't touch a club until I was in my late 20s. I walked the course with a friend and at first just chipped and putted and then started playing holes from a 100yds in. Eventually I got my own clubs and started playing. I guess this why I play right handed even though I'm a lefty.

I didn't join a club or play regularly until I was in my 30s. I guess this is why I suck.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
My dad has always played. At an early age I had a cut down 7 iron (still have it). One of my good friend's played, and his father was the head pro at the local muni, so it was inevitable for me to play. At 12 we had run of the course during the summer.

My first set of clubs came from that pro shop...brand new X31's that I've been playing again recently.

I'm a member at that course and it is truly my home course...know it like the back of my hand.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
My dad didn't start playing until he was in his early 40's...he loved it so much that he gave me some lessons from a pro when I was 10...good way to start...I've played continuously since then except when I was in college...our college course then was horrible....I played my best golf however when I was around 50....

🔥 Latest posts