• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do I choose the correct shaft?

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
I finally hold my hands up, I know nothing about shafts, to me they're either graphite or steel, regular or stiff (old school! :D). What I need to know is is there a scientific way to assess which shaft you should select? I don't want any guesswork, just cold hard facts so I can have no excuses for getting it wrong.

With all the choices out there these days there must be more to it than just swing speed > 90mph = stiff shaft.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I finally hold my hands up, I know nothing about shafts, to me they're either graphite or steel, regular or stiff (old school! :D). What I need to know is is there a scientific way to assess which shaft you should select? I don't want any guesswork, just cold hard facts so I can have no excuses for getting it wrong.

With all the choices out there these days there must be more to it than just swing speed > 90mph = stiff shaft.

While probably not what you want to hear, you need to be fitted by an unbiased club fitter.

Theres too many variables involved in selecting a shaft.

Not just your swing and tempo...but also what heads you are using, geographic location...etc....

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
You already know the answer. Try 'em out.

It's becoming a lot easier with the Fit-on systems. I was able to try 4 shafts on the same Titleist head, only took about 30 secs. to swap it out.

Other method is to go to a driving range with a swing monitor. They will tell you swing speed, ball speed, launch angle etc. You can usually translate that into a category of shafts that would match your profile. A lot of the Shaft gurus can usually tell you what you should consider.

The reason it is important to get the right shaft is that our swings are so different. Consider what would your profile be on the following?

Smooth swinger v. smasher / hitter?
High ball hitter v. low ball?
How far do you carry a driver? 6 iron?
How accurate are you (too much flex can lead to inconsistent distances and big dispersions)?
How much feel / feedback you want with the head.?
Weight, do you prefer a lighter or heavier club?

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Ok, now that the topic is on, I wanted to ask someting and high-jack this thread. :D

If I've learned something from this forum it is your shaft is the most important part of your club. Its obvious now a days most top manufacturers make excellent clubs. I'm sure you can't say Cleveland has a better driver than Ping or Taylormade, it just suits more your eye or your conscience or your preference.

The question is. If I use a specific shaft lets say, a Stiff V2 75g, would my ball flights and trayectory be the same (or at least very similar) if I use a Hibore XL, TM Burner, FT-5 Mx-600 head? Would I be able to see a difference if I didn't know which head am I using (considering they all for some reason looked the same, obviously)?

Thanks mates...

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
You already know the answer. Try 'em out.

It's becoming a lot easier with the Fit-on systems. I was able to try 4 shafts on the same Titleist head, only took about 30 secs. to swap it out.

Other method is to go to a driving range with a swing monitor. They will tell you swing speed, ball speed, launch angle etc. You can usually translate that into a category of shafts that would match your profile. A lot of the Shaft gurus can usually tell you what you should consider.

The reason it is important to get the right shaft is that our swings are so different. Consider what would your profile be on the following?

Smooth swinger v. smasher / hitter?
High ball hitter v. low ball?
How far do you carry a driver? 6 iron?
How accurate are you (too much flex can lead to inconsistent distances and big dispersions)?
How much feel / feedback you want with the head.?
Weight, do you prefer a lighter or heavier club?

I love my irons and wouldn't swap them, but the shafts in them are S300's that were in them on the rack. I'm by no means a fast swinger (definitely in your smooth category), I think I get between 85-90 mph with my driver so it's highly probably that the shafts aren't the best for me but I've just made the most out of them because I like the heads so damn much.

I hit quite high naturally which I like as I can keep it low if I absolutely need to.

Driver Carry about 260-275, 6 iron 165yards.

I feel the stiffness has been beneficial with my accuracy.

Feedback galore please.

Weight wise, medium, if anthing on the light side.

Recommendations?

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
"... The question is. If I use a specific shaft lets say, a Stiff V2 75g, would my ball flights and trayectory be the same (or at least very similar) if I use a Hibore XL, TM Burner, FT-5 Mx-600 head? Would I be able to see a difference if I didn't know which head am I using (considering they all for some reason looked the same, obviously)?

Thanks mates...

Great question!

I can say without a doubt: yes and no :confused:

For the "most" part, the shaft's inherent physical features will remain the same for many heads.

However, driver heads can vary in weight by as much as 16 gms and that difference in weight can alter the shafts flex charactoristics dramatically...

Also, the BBGM also will greatly dictate the flex of the shaft....and those can vary 1.75".

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Here is Tom Wishon's Youtube video on this and I will summarize below:

YouTube - Wishon Golf - The Basic Elements of Professional Shaft Fitting

Shaft fitting is very dependent on when your wrists uncock in the downswing. The later they uncock, the firmer the tip you will need.

Video your swing from face-on to see when your release actually is.

It also matters if you are a hitter or a swinger.

If you make an aggressive move into the downswing, you may need a shaft with a higher weight, a shaft that is butt stiff, and low torque.

If you make a passive move into the downswing, and/or are physically weaker a lighter weight shaft, that is butt flexible with a higher torque would better suit you.

Then take a look at Taking the mystery out of golf shafts - Golf Shaft Profiles to compare shafts' profiles against each other.

Finally, as always, try it out.

Though, it is much easier to narrow down shafts that might suit you after going through the above steps. You'll be much closer than just reading about a "good shaft" on the interweb and trying it out.

Know what you need for your swing, (i.e. weight, tip stiffness, butt stiffness, torque), check out the profiles of prospective shafts, then try it out.

I hope that helps.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.