• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do I cure a over active Powerfade?

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
When I start to have this problem I find that it is usually that I am blocking the ball out by sliding rather than turning. Usually focusing on getting my left hip to rotate back rather than sliding forward quickly corrects this problem. Hope this can help you too.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I've been having the same problem, MDD. I went to the range and hit a large bucket, and here is what I found. For me, the two big things were tension in my arms and hands, and a backswing that was getting too long. Once I took it back loose, easy, and short, I started squaring the head up and hitting it in the middle of the clubface again. It goes in cycles with me, getting better, trying to hit it hard, then I get shorter and shorter until I go fix it. I think I'm about to start going the other way, thankfully.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I've been having the same problem, MDD. I went to the range and hit a large bucket, and here is what I found. For me, the two big things were tension in my arms and hands, and a backswing that was getting too long. Once I took it back loose, easy, and short, I started squaring the head up and hitting it in the middle of the clubface again. It goes in cycles with me, getting better, trying to hit it hard, then I get shorter and shorter until I go fix it. I think I'm about to start going the other way, thankfully.

Best of luck, hopefully some or one of the tips and suggestions I've gotten will fix it for me. Sadly according to the weather forecast its going to be several days before I get to try them out. But at least my elbow and tendonitis are getting a much needed rest, :D

As much as I hate going to the range, it definitely sounds like I need a good range session to straighten this out, pun intended, :prop:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
When I start to have this problem I find that it is usually that I am blocking the ball out by sliding rather than turning. Usually focusing on getting my left hip to rotate back rather than sliding forward quickly corrects this problem. Hope this can help you too.

That's a good one. I'm going to have to pay that some mind myself.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Here is something I do that works wonders when I am having problems with the driver and 3-wood going right. Prior to your swing squeeze the grip of your club as hard as you can and hold it until you really feel it burn. Then without letting go of the club relax your grip to the point where it feels like the club will fall out. Now make one or two loose relaxed practice swings, step up and grip it & rip it. What this does is it temporarily fatigues the forearm muscles that cause the push fade and lets them relax for the swing. With this method you might find yourself hitting draws.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Here is something I do that works wonders when I am having problems with the driver and 3-wood going right. Prior to your swing squeeze the grip of your club as hard as you can and hold it until you really feel it burn. Then without letting go of the club relax your grip to the point where it feels like the club will fall out. Now make one or two loose relaxed practice swings, step up and grip it & rip it. What this does is it temporarily fatigues the forearm muscles that cause the push fade and lets them relax for the swing. With this method you might find yourself hitting draws.

Hmmmm, interesting. If this friggin rain will ever stop I'm interested in trying this.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Thanks WOAT, I bookmarked that site. I may have too much tension, its gotten to the point I feel like I'm trying to steer the ball, which I'm sure is causing tension. It wasn't that long ago I was hitting the ball considerably farther, but as I've tried to fix this fade/slice/block, whatever it is, I'm losing distance.

Buy the Never Slice Again download from that site ( Never Slice Again 2 ) -- it's $20 and can watch it while you're stuck inside from this stupid gulf storm system that's been pissing on us forever. It's a good video even for non-slicers. Lots of good stuff in there to make you think about clubface awareness and such. I got the Soft Draw video kind of by accident and it's an excellent watch, too.

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Also, take some impact tape with you to see where you hit the ball on the clubface. I thought I had issues with plane and face angle, but it turned out a major part of my issue came from striking the ball off the heel. Did not believe it till the pro I use showed me with the impact tape. Something else to check out as well.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Buy the Never Slice Again download from that site ( Never Slice Again 2 ) -- it's $20 and can watch it while you're stuck inside from this stupid gulf storm system that's been pissing on us forever. It's a good video even for non-slicers. Lots of good stuff in there to make you think about clubface awareness and such. I got the Soft Draw video kind of by accident and it's an excellent watch, too.

The web download for both is 10 bucks each, and the quality is good, so you can just make a VCD or DVD from the mpeg file. I think the softdraw video is excellent, and I use the backswing, and transition parts..."counterfall" is a great way to get to your front leg pivot.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
The web download for both is 10 bucks each, and the quality is good, so you can just make a VCD or DVD from the mpeg file. I think the softdraw video is excellent, and I use the backswing, and transition parts..."counterfall" is a great way to get to your front leg pivot.

He charges an extra $10 for NSA -- the rest of them are only $10, though. Can't blame him for charging extra for the slicing vid, since that seems to be the prevailing problem in the golf world. Might as well cash in on that fact :beach3: I liked Softdraw a lot, too - I'm glad I ended up getting it.

🔥 Latest posts