• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do they get you so wrapped up?

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
So about a year ago, we got a little mini weenie dog. Named Bogey. I work from home so he pretty much followed me around all the time. This last Sunday he got into the neighbors yard and the dog bit him around the stomach area. Only broke the skin a little on his back. He kinda moped around for a few days, but some of the sweeling had started to go down. Yesterday he stopped eating at all and couldn't seem to hold water down. Took him to the vet this morning and he died. :( We wouldn't have had the money for any kind of expensive vet bill, if you've ever priced doggie surgery you know what I'm talking about.

I am just completely devastated. Been bawling like a baby this morning. Buried him in the back yard just a little bit ago, of course it was raining and got soaked doing it. I'll see something of his laying around and here come the water falls again.... and this is a DOG we're talking about. You would think I would have lost a kid or something. How is it that an animal just gets to you like this? I'm going to feel really stupid if it takes me a while to get over this. I guess it was that he was such a huge part of daily life. I wake up, there he is. I get home, there he is. Hell, I go take a dump and he's there waiting on me to get out! But not anymore...

Thanks for letting me vent...

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Sorry for your loss Slick. I don't know how they do it, but they definitely do.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Sorry for your loss Slick. I don't know how they do it, but they definitely do.

Agreed, they get you cuz they're so damn cute and their love is completely unconditional.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Sorry, man. I've seen dogs survive severe mangling, and others die from sepsis when the wounds look minor. It's really difficult to tell sometimes. Which is why human medicine is 20X as expensive and we all have to have insurance: they cover all the bases.

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Sorry, man. I've seen dogs survive severe mangling, and others die from sepsis when the wounds look minor. It's really difficult to tell sometimes. Which is why human medicine is 20X as expensive and we all have to have insurance: they cover all the bases.

Yeah, we have a vet friend we called and kind of explained to her what happened. She sort of thought the same way we did that he would probably make it through. Only thing that could have saved him was having some sort of x-ray or CT or whatever the heck it is they can see that stuff with. Then of course surgery, coupled with the very recent financial bind we've got in to there was just no way. It would be putting my family at risk to do something like that, and even the he still might not have made it. Hard to say, little guy was only 14 months old.

Like George Carlin once said, any time you purchase a dog, you're putting a downpayment on a small tragedy somewhere down the road.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Sorry, to hear of your loss Slick. One of the truly saddening things in life is the passing of a treasured pet.

I have a mini dacshund too, he turned 6 in January. These guys really are one of the most affectionate and loyal breeds you can own.

My condolences again Slick.

R.I.P Bogey

1967GTA

I Love Cindy Mancini
Dec 23, 2009
Sorry for your loss. Something similar happened to me 3 weeks ago. My cat got into a fight with another animal and was killed. I went outside to call him in for breakfast and found him laying by the front door dead. Made a little headstone and also buried him in the backyard. Sucks for sure. I had him for 15 years

20 PAT's

Jun 21, 2009
Sorry for your loss. My neighbors have a mini doxsie and I could spend all day watching it... I would be crushed if anything happened to our dog... She doesn't care what I do, she's always there for me

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
This is why I don't have dogs. I get too attached. Cats are different. They croak and "oh well". Dogs have personalities. Cats are just there.

Sorry for your loss.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
You planning on getting another dog? Our's is 10 years old & even though my wife tells him she wishes he would run away. I know she will be heartbroken when he eventually dies.

1967GTA

I Love Cindy Mancini
Dec 23, 2009
This is why I don't have dogs. I get too attached. Cats are different. They croak and "oh well". Dogs have personalities. Cats are just there.

Sorry for your loss.

hmm, i kinda liked my cat. i had him for 15 years until he was killed 3 weeks ago. and he definitely had a personality

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
You planning on getting another dog? Our's is 10 years old & even though my wife tells him she wishes he would run away. I know she will be heartbroken when he eventually dies.

Yeah we'll be getting another dog for sure. I work from home, so I need a buddy t hang out with during the day! Since this one was named Bogey, and we had him for just over a year, I think "Mulligan" might be a fitting name... lol

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Slick, So sorry to hear about your pup. We've got two doxies and lost one about 9 months ago to a bad heart, he was 10. For him we did the doc visits, which were expensive and in the end he still died. I like you, cried like a baby for weeks, with everything that reminded me of him. Funny I thought I was over it, but reading your story brought the tears back this morning.....and oddly enough, I just looked on the calendar and yesterday would have been Oscars 11th birthday....so sad to loose them. Wished I had some sort of great advice to help you through this, but I don't, some times life sucks and this is one of them. Hang in there.

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Sorry about that Slick, that does suck. I have had dogs my entire life, I am on my 6th lab, and it is never easy to let one go. But, the love and affection they give is worth the pain and heartache we go through when they leave this earth. I would not trade the memories I have of all the dogs I have had the good fortune to own.

🔥 Latest posts