• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do you aim your driver tee shots?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Set face to target, get feeling slighty open to target, hit ball at target. I've actually been drawing the ball out of an open to target stance by picking a target right. Usually drawing the ball off a fairway or greenside bunker.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I was going to bring up Rotella too. He suggest picking a very specific target, referencing an anecdote from ol' Ben.

Hogan's second shot into a par 5 was to a blind green that had a cluster of big palm trees right behind it; the tops of which you could see. He asked his caddy what he should aim for.

The caddy replied "Aim for the palm trees, Mr. Hogan."

Hogan answered, "Which one?"

It's not just that Hogan was that good; Rotella suggests that the mind operates more efficiently when you pick a very specific target; and an aerial one if possible, like the highest branch of a tree out in the distance as opposed to a spot somewhere on the ground out it the fairway.

Personally, I stand behind the ball and pick the line I want my ball to start on. I usually hit a little draw-to-hook, so I always tend toward the right side to allow for some error in the swing. I then pick a spot on the ground in front of my ball that is on that line, and stare it down while I approach the ball and address it. I set the club down square to the line, then set my feet to the club. Then I look at the target, then back to the ball. When I'm looking at the ball, I try to think of the target. Then I swing, making sure not to do anything voluntary with my hands. Throughout the swing.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It's not just that Hogan was that good; Rotella suggests that the mind operates more efficiently when you pick a very specific target; and an aerial one if possible, like the highest branch of a tree out in the distance as opposed to a spot somewhere on the ground out it the fairway.

That's something I like to do, pick a target high and far away off the tee. I like a target that's well beyond 100yds. past where I'm capable of hitting the ball. That seems to help me swing through the ball and at the target.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
So would he say I'm being too specific with my targeting? I've looked at that book. I may look more closely.

Kevin
Probably all a matter of interpretation. The reason I specifically mentioned it is that it is similar to what you mention in picking the smallest target and being able to focus on such. Simply said, I too use a lot of tree tops, and specific branches. Kinda funny, because on my home course I have specific branches and twigs that only change if they change the tee boxes. Seems to add to my familiarity on the shot I want to hit on a given hole.

edit 1 - In other words. If anything, you may not be specific enough.

OP
Esox

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
That's cool. On many of the holes on my home course I have been picking aerial targets, and those are the holes I've hit some of my best drives of the year. My home course is cut out of an old quarry and has a number of elevated tees. On a number of holes there are hills or trees behind the greens, and I use a certain branch or small opening in the limbs as targets. On others though, I have been using ground targets.

I shall raise my eyes to the heavens more often looking for targets. Thanks for that info, guys. I'll probably pick up that book.

Kevin

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
Where I aim my drives. . .Well, I have to assess my drive on the first hole to see which direction the ball is going to fly. Honestly, lately I've been hitting a lot of draws, and some snappy hooks if I rush. So, I've been aiming down the right--usually I pick a target down the right rough line.

I can start slicing at any time though. . .Very inconsistent, but getting better.

My pre-shot. . .I try to get about 6 to 8 feet behind the ball--facing my target. I find my line and start taking practice swings. I may take 1, I may take 4, never more than 4. I'm trying to find the consistency within my inconsistency. I walk up my line to the ball, address, usually have to step back 3 to 8 inches. I'm always crowding the plate.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
I walk directly behind the ball and look down the fairway and pick a small target. While facing the target I hold the club in my right hand as if I was about to set up to the ball (that would be the left hand for you righties). should take the ball.

Kevin

Don't translate for them--it's not like they do it for us! I tend to speak of the forward hand and the trailing hand. Makes it easier all around.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Don't translate for them--it's not like they do it for us! I tend to speak of the forward hand and the trailing hand. Makes it easier all around.

Everyone is born into this world left-handed. They remain that way until they commit their first sin. There are very few of us left!

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Oh Claire, you're left handed?

I'll keep the seat to the right of me open the next time I go to a movie theater ;)

It's all about using your strengths

Golf, I mean, of course...

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
BURN...haha...That bit reminded me of something a buddy told me about this "easy" girl he knew...He said " she has been with so many guys, me being with her now would be like throwing a hotdog down a hallway."

Beyond tasteless, even for this place. If it wasn't intended as a direct insult, it sure reads like one. -1

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
eesh, nope....shooting for more of a "thread" width man part trying to do....well.....anything...make any sense?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.