• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

how do you get chip shot to release??

Shea_Butler

Aug 31, 2006
so i think we can all agree, that the most consistant way to get "releasage" is any iron shot depending on the circumstances in the middle of your stance using a putting stroke, yes?

GUITARNUTTERUK

Sep 3, 2007
place your hands infront of the ball and push through whilst hitting so as to generate top spin upon landing, remember everything has back spin on it even your driver. if you stab a pitch it will release with top spin

is this thing ment to be dick cheney?:hunter:

Shea_Butler

Aug 31, 2006
haha no its WBL when the golf salesmen tells him the new driver wont help :laugh::laugh::laugh:

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
so i think we can all agree, that the most consistant way to get "releasage" is any iron shot depending on the circumstances in the middle of your stance using a putting stroke, yes?

er,no,I didn't say middle of the stance.The two critcial things for me is NOT hitting down on the ball and sweeping the ball away with the hands in front,you will get a crisp shot which will release.In the middle is not good imo

Shea_Butler

Aug 31, 2006
why not? The back of the stance you hit down on it or tend to and in the front of your stance idont see how practical it would be to try and get your hands in front of the ball when its that far up... middle of the stance is perfect imo, BUT everyone is different and clearly have different opinions

Poe4soul

Feb 3, 2006
Dead hands. Don't cock the wrists - just flick at the ball with your hips, shoulders, and arms. As said before the club should come be kept low. If you get steep you'll spend the ball.

If none of this works pick out some Top Rocks, XL2000's and you'll get all of the release you need.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
why not? The back of the stance you hit down on it or tend to and in the front of your stance idont see how practical it would be to try and get your hands in front of the ball when its that far up... middle of the stance is perfect imo, BUT everyone is different and clearly have different opinions

Just to add from what was already mentioned, I can see how a putting stroke may work for some, but if I were to try and use that it would be disastrous. I know because I toyed around with it and it is just uncomfortable and unrepeatable for me. The clubs are just too long compared to my putter.

I think I would more likely say use whatever technique you are comfortable with that will not provide a steeper swing and hitting down on the ball. For me it is just a matter of moving not only the ball but my wrist forward (still de-lofting the club) from the back position which does in fact put it in the middle of my stance. Although for many others this my may lead to a lot of bladed shots, for me it works quite well. Where I usually try and use an 8i, the same result could likely be achieved with a 5-6i with a putter stroke. I think I prefer delofting the club because I prefer chipping with shorter clubs. I will do the same with my wedges if I need to carry a little more distance yet still get some run.

I think chipping is alot like putting. There could be about 50 ways to achieve the optimum result for whatever is more comfortable. Although for me if I want the ball to run I simply look at it is as using the one that is most comfortable for not hitting down on the ball. Just as when I chip, I keep my feet fairly close together, where others get the same result and feel they have a more stable foundation by spreading them out. More people may use the other method, but I feel I achieve better results because I am comfortable with the other method and would put my chipping up against most I play against that do the other. If I used their method I would not be so confident. This may also be a big reason I am not comfortable with a putting stroke, that and my putting setup is a little more unorthodox as well, but I would put my putting up against just about anyone because I have found a method for which I am fairly confident is the best for me.

DVS

Aug 15, 2007
Oh the best way ive found to produce a non-checking shot, is with an eight or nine iron, middle of stance, with a putting stroke (as long as you accelerate that is)

Agree 100% there! Thats my bread and butter chip shot! I got so comfortable with that shot that I'll sometimes prefer that shot over putting when its a really long distance putt.

The way I got better at chipping was that I practiced to death with two clubs: 8i and a 60 degree. One I use when I need to "release to the hole", the other when I need to fly and check it. Once you have a good feel for those two clubs, you can make that your benchmark and sub in the lofts of your other clubs to get the distance/shot-type you are looking for in a particular circumstance. Or just keep playing that 8i and Wedge. Thats what seems to work for me at least.

-DVS

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Personally,I think its harder to be consistent in the middle of the stance for a chip shot,you really have to work hard to get your hands in front to keep crisp.Farther back in the stance is easier and more consistent imho.The release and spin control this thread is about is primarily the angle of attack and how closed the face stays on the back swing.The ball can stay at the back,you don't need to vary it that much.All imho

Shea_Butler

Aug 31, 2006
But, for a beginner and even intermediate golfer, further back in a stance naturally makes a golfer want to hit down on it. I guess i should have sayd where ever you place the ball when you putt if that was more comfortable. IMHO the middle of the stance allows the least amount of steep swingage while still able to use a putting stroke without blading it ie in the front of the stance. AND with this shot your hands need not be too far ahead of the ball, but more infront of the clubface at impact, you could even have your hands even with the ball because the clubface will be lagging about 2 inches behind regardless, and thats my senseless explaination for this shot :laugh:

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
They hit down because they don't rotate the forearms as you would a full shot,so imho its not the position in the stance that is critical its the technique.The club should go back as a full shot,low with rotating forearms,as the full swing.

Putting the ball in the middle of the stance is a quick fix and imho its better to study correct technique,however,if it works for you then fine,there are many ways to skin a cat

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Putting the ball in the middle of the stance is a quick fix and imho its better to study correct technique,however,if it works for you then fine,there are many ways to skin a cat
I would likely agree with what you are saying and only venture to guess that one of the reasons you will find moving the ball forward is more common is because people do not have the necessary time to practice the other options like what you mention. As it is something that without the practice will likely produce poor results. In the same sense you will find most instructors initially tell you to keep stable wrists while chipping and even some pitching, where most pros do in fact hinge their wrists in many situations around the greens.

Once you start trying to duplicate some of the more complex methods without practice, it could spell disaster really quickly. Probably the reason the instructors try and keep it simple and provide the easiest method to provide immediate results. They know the good majority of beginners will not practice this part of the game, and once they do they will likely either research or stumble upon more reliable methods for their game through trial and error.

Like I said before, until I started reading and searching around, the only method I ever heard from Pelz seemed to be a stiff arm approach with the ball behind the feet to promote crisp contact and a descending blow to get the ball up and rolling on the green. Works great if you don't want to practice and have one good chip you can duplicate. Similar with most beginners will usually use 1 specific club mainly because they only have time to become familiar with 1 method. Not saying you could not be a great chipper and good player with just one club, but in order to do so you still usually have to practice and gain a better understanding to produce all of the necessary shots for a round. Whether that time is better spent learning different shots or reaction from different clubs likely depends on the individual, but either way it will involve more practice time and much trial and error.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Good points,can't argue with that.But I do feel that it only takes 15 minutes a week to practice decent chipping technique.You can even do it in the lounge without a ball,but I take your point

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.