• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do you grip the putter?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
My putting is so hot and cold I've got to fix it... :(

What grip do you use. Reverse overlap, "claw", etc. I'm looking to change something in my putting that will be more consistent and am interested in what others do.

And I "know"

You don't use your wrists
Should be shoulders only and all else still
Don't peek
blah blah blah

I have good distance control, my stroke "looks" okay, and the Spider rolls the ball nicely but I can't get it on my chosen path consistently enough. This has been a problem with every putter I've used. I'm going to try playing the ball from the middle of my stance instead of just left of it.

And the very last alternative would be a chest or belly putter which I hate. :(

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
How about side saddle putting? Or is that even what its called?

Standing perpendicular to the line of the putt...i have alwasy wanted to do this but it feels weird with my putter, i think you need a putter setup specifically for that type of putting?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
How about side saddle putting? Or is that even what its called?

Standing perpendicular to the line of the putt...i have alwasy wanted to do this but it feels weird with my putter, i think you need a putter setup specifically for that type of putting?

I watched a guy do that last year, he sucked at putting too.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
My putting is so hot and cold I've got to fix it... :(

What grip do you use. Reverse overlap, "claw", etc. I'm looking to change something in my putting that will be more consistent and am interested in what others do.

And I "know"

You don't use your wrists
Should be shoulders only and all else still
Don't peek
blah blah blah

I have good distance control, my stroke "looks" okay, and the Spider rolls the ball nicely but I can't get it on my chosen path consistently enough. This has been a problem with every putter I've used. I'm going to try playing the ball from the middle of my stance instead of just left of it.

And the very last alternative would be a chest or belly putter which I hate. :(

Cross-handed, like Mr Harrington. If your issue is with your wrists, this will fix it. It's virtually impossible to do _anything_ with your wrists while holding the putter cross-handed. I honestly don't know why everyone doesn't putt like this, since it is so much easier to put the hit you intended on the ball.

I'm not a great putter; I two-putt virtually everything. 8', I 2-putt. 80', I 2-putt. That said, I do hit 95+% of them exactly the way I planned, I just don't read greens with enough precision to actually *make* the putt. I wind up with 6-8 tap-ins per round.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
i dont know if it would be worth building the putter or not, but i know as i stand behind the ball i can see the line of the putt really well, but then when i walk around to the side, even if i have a spot on the green picked out to roll it over i just cant see the line anymore and i lose all my confidence in the putt.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Grip it lightly - concentrate more on gettng the ball moving on line than making a perfect stroke, freedom will improve the stroke naturally.

Don't be afraid of missing - a video I watched of the guy who works with Brad Faxon was really helpful - forgotten his name but someone will know. It's worth a look, he deals with the mental aspects.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I just do regular ole golf grip on a regular ole putter.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I will try and explain my grip.

My putting grip is similar to my normal interlocking grip with one key exception. I take my pointing finger (trigger finger) on my right hand and place it down the backside of the grip (the side of the grip opposite the side facing the hole.) I have read in someplaces that this is poor technique, but I find my self putting better with this grip. With your finger down the grip, it encourages less wrist movement than a closed fist and I feel that it helps keep the clubface square to the target line. While no putting stroke is truely straight back and stragiht through, this is what I attempt to do. The trigger finger grip with a center shafted, zero offset, and face balanced putter works well for me. Trhough in some extra head weight and a 150g backweight and I am a happy man on the greens.

Burg

Jul 17, 2007
Cross-handed, like Mr Harrington. If your issue is with your wrists, this will fix it. It's virtually impossible to do _anything_ with your wrists while holding the putter cross-handed. I honestly don't know why everyone doesn't putt like this, since it is so much easier to put the hit you intended on the ball.

I'm not a great putter; I two-putt virtually everything. 8', I 2-putt. 80', I 2-putt. That said, I do hit 95+% of them exactly the way I planned, I just don't read greens with enough precision to actually *make* the putt. I wind up with 6-8 tap-ins per round.

I have to agree. I switched to "left-hand low" and it has really improved my overall putting.

I struggle with distance control at first so I only used "left-hand low" for putts of 20' or less until I could comfortably lag the ball.

Try it. I guarantee that it will help from 6' and in because you can't break your wrists and its very difficult to have a long backswing on your putting stroke. Either of those two lead to difficulties making short putts.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The "normal" putting grip is the "Reverse Overlap," which has the grip along the lifelines of both palms, the thumbs on top of the grip, the right index finger curled around the grip, and the left index finger overlapping the fingers of the right hand.

I use this grip, except that my left index finger goes underneath the fingers of the right hand, and holds the left side of the grip against my right palm. My right hand fingers curl up and around the outside of my left index finger. I feel this is even more stable than the standard reverse-overlap.

SolderJockey

Oct 31, 2007
This is a bit unorthodox, but since I switched to it late last season, everything goes exactly where I aim almost all the time. (unfortunately, I don't always aim at the right spot, but that's neither here nor there.) 3 putts are almost a thing of the past. I start with both palms facing each other on the left and right sides of the grip. I then put both thumbs on the
flat part of the grip next to each other with both hands even (no hand low?) The fingers then finish the grip as if they were doing a reverse overlap except that index is even with index, middle with middle, etc. Combined with a face balanced putter (ping c-67) and a straight back, straight through stroke, everything goes dead straight where I want it to go. Another thing I do which helps me is this: Right before I hit the putt, I stare at the hole for about 4 or 5 seconds. For some reason, this tells my brain how hard to hit the ball. If I am relaxed and concentrate while doing this, I have very good distance control.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
This is a bit unorthodox, but since I switched to it late last season, everything goes exactly where I aim almost all the time. (unfortunately, I don't always aim at the right spot, but that's neither here nor there.) 3 putts are almost a thing of the past. I start with both palms facing each other on the left and right sides of the grip. I then put both thumbs on the
flat part of the grip next to each other with both hands even (no hand low?) The fingers then finish the grip as if they were doing a reverse overlap except that index is even with index, middle with middle, etc. Combined with a face balanced putter (ping c-67) and a straight back, straight through stroke, everything goes dead straight where I want it to go. Another thing I do which helps me is this: Right before I hit the putt, I stare at the hole for about 4 or 5 seconds. For some reason, this tells my brain how hard to hit the ball. If I am relaxed and concentrate while doing this, I have very good distance control.
Do you do this with a standard grip, or have you tried one of the 2Thumb grips that are made for that style?

2 Thumb Putter Grip Series

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I will try and explain my grip.

My putting grip is similar to my normal interlocking grip with one key exception. I take my pointing finger (trigger finger) on my right hand and place it down the backside of the grip (the side of the grip opposite the side facing the hole.)

Sounds almost exactly like my putting grip & I like to think i'm fairly decent at putting. 31 putts today for 18 holes, drained a real beauty from more than 20' out for birdie.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.