• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do you grip the putter?

SolderJockey

Oct 31, 2007
Do you do this with a standard grip, or have you tried one of the 2Thumb grips that are made for that style?

2 Thumb Putter Grip Series

Right now, it's the stock grip the putter came with. When I replace it, I'll
probably go to an oversize grip. When I started using this grip, I was using
an old Titleist Bullseye which had a wide paddle grip which worked well.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Cross-handed, like Mr Harrington. If your issue is with your wrists, this will fix it. It's virtually impossible to do _anything_ with your wrists while holding the putter cross-handed. I honestly don't know why everyone doesn't putt like this, since it is so much easier to put the hit you intended on the ball.

I'm not a great putter; I two-putt virtually everything. 8', I 2-putt. 80', I 2-putt. That said, I do hit 95+% of them exactly the way I planned, I just don't read greens with enough precision to actually *make* the putt. I wind up with 6-8 tap-ins per round.

David Hillman

I watch Paddy using this and was interested. I tried it in my carpeted basement (with the cats chasing the ball) and it seems very promising.

I also want to try the two thumbs grip mentioned by SolderJockey. I know K. J. Choi uses the two thumb grip (only with that ugly fat grip).

Lot's of interesting techniques given in here. :)

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I use my regular club grip, but with the lightest pressure possible.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Jerry, I used the same grip I always do but today I messed around with ball position a bit. Seemed like if I kept the ball forward from center just a bit & kept the middle of the putter centered, it rolled a little better. With a blade putter I don't do that but with this Tourismo it just felt better. 31 total putts again including another long 25 footer so for me it obviously works. Also had 3-4 putts that either lipped out or rolled right over the edge of the cup.

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
It doesn't matter what grip you use, putting is all confidence. If you are not confident you will not make an aggressive stroke towards the target. Best way to become a good putter is putt from 2 to 3 feet all day and develop confidence.

SolderJockey

Oct 31, 2007
Best way to become a good putter is putt from 2 to 3 feet all day and develop confidence.

Totally agreed. For about the last month or so, I've been putting 100
3 footers on the carpet at home each night. It helped. About 2 years ago
I realized that if you are automatic from 3 feet, and can lag it close from
20 to 30 feet, you won't be 3 putting very much. My putting practice
at the course consists of 3 footers followed by long lags from varying distances with no 2 being the same distance in a row.

nancysgolfworld

Jul 26, 2008
Putting

One thing you may want to try (if your right handed) is to turn the left hand under (opposite for left handers). This will get the wrists out of the putt. Set the heads ahead to allow for a more solid left wrist. Think of the left arm and putter as one and do NOT allow the putter head to go in front of your hands during the follow through. That would cause a wrist break. The target (or left arm) should extend through as with the putter. You should always have your arms and putter go pass your left side during the follow through. The distance of a putt is controlled by how far back you take the putter so you always want to follow through, just shorten your back swing to adjust the length of putts. Your overlapping grip is a good idea. Also, you may want to try these tips as well: Place the writing of the ball inline with your target. For putts within 15 feet hear the ball drop into the cup, for putts longer than 15 feet weight to look until you know the ball is 1/2 way to the target. It may also to think of having the putter head follow the ball to the cup. I hope this helps. Please visit my website: no freaking links! read the rules or you'll be walking the plank in short order.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Have to post a minimum number of times before any links nancysgolfworld. :)

And I used the left hand low (ala Padrick) grip today on 18. Only one 3-putt!! Distance control is a little rough on the long ones right now but I made the 5-6 footers I left myself!! Seem to be right on my line and the ball is rolling off the putter face better. I'm very encouraged... :)

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
How do you grip the putter?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

With my hands, :thumbs up:

I can't believe nobody beat me to this one, you guys are slipping. :D

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
nope, I threw her overboard after her second post.

Thick, that one. :D

Yes, but . . .

Chip%20Shot%20Still3Cropped.jpg
Drive%20Clubface%20Still.jpg

Good%20Bunker%20Shot%20Still3.jpg

🔥 Latest posts