• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do you measure shaft length with a shaft already in the club?

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
I hope this question makes sense. But say I wanted to figure out how long the shaft is in my driver, from where to where do I measure, and if I use those two points, do I have to add or subtract anything? Say I were to measure from the end of the grip to the top of the ferrule, wouldn't that be short of the actual length because some of the shaft length is underneath the ferrule and where the shaft and clubhead are joined?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
In the Wishon's book "the Search for the Perfect Golf Club" he says you rest the club (shaft installed) on the bottom of the head and take a tape measure (from the bottom) up the back of the club along the shaft to the top of the grip. This is the "shaft length". The actual shaft is 1/4" shorter to allow for the grip thickness at the end and however deep it goes into the head.

You install the shaft in the head and cut the end 1/4" shorter then what you want to allow for the grip. If you tip the shaft (be careful, some shaft manufacturer's don't recommend it on certain shafts) you just do this first. You don't cut the shaft to length until it's epoxied into the head so if you want to know what the actual length is without disassembling your gonna have some guesswork.

smileyrose

Aug 17, 2006
Add, Add, Add

>>>>and if I use those two points, do I have to add or subtract anything?<<<<

It's always adviseable to add and not subtract anything, it makes the girls smile much more! ;):D

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
I hope this question makes sense. But say I wanted to figure out how long the shaft is in my driver, from where to where do I measure, and if I use those two points, do I have to add or subtract anything? Say I were to measure from the end of the grip to the top of the ferrule, wouldn't that be short of the actual length because some of the shaft length is underneath the ferrule and where the shaft and clubhead are joined?

When I trimmed my ProLaunch the golf shop set it on a device with a yardstick underneath that measured from the end of the club to the tip of the shaft. Until I saw that I never had any idea either. I have a bore-through Titleist 983 and they measured it the same as the others.

OP

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
It finally made sense to me that basically you want to measure how long the club is. Simple. But somehow I'd gotten caught up in the idea of shaft length.

If you think about it then, ye old Perfect Club of infomercial infamy does make some sense then. Shorten the shaft, and it's an easier to hit club. And they've made a driver version that's 42 inches in length.

I'm still not buying one though.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
In another thread Wishon (in his book "the Search for the Perfect Golf Club") says very few golfers can hit a 45" (or longer) driver. That the average on the PGA tour is 44-1/2" and also gave a chart based on hand to ground distance. Longer distance = longer shaft. I'm 6' but have short arms so my ideal driver shaft distance is almost 45". I can get away with it. He gave an example of a 6' 8" basketball player with arms so long he had to actually make his shafts "shorter" then average!!

OP

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
I need to measure myself at some point, but I already know that I'll probably have some unusual measurements. My legs are a bit on the shorter side, and my torso is a bit long for my height, which I know because compared to people of similar height to me, I like the driver seat of cars to be much closer than others of the same height, otherwise my legs can't reach.

That means drivers with shorter shafts would be more favorable to me, most likely.

🔥 Latest posts