• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do you practice!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
If I can't break par on a par 3 course, how will I ever do it on a 7K yard course?
FYI, par 3's account for the highest average over par. Par 4's and 5's allow for recovering from bad shots, were you are far less apt to do so on Par 3's. I believe if you can break par on a par 3 course, you would be far more likely to do so on a 7K yard course. Unless of course you have a terrible long game. In which case you probably shouldn't be playing off any tees of 7k.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
FYI, par 3's account for the highest average over par. Par 4's and 5's allow for recovering from bad shots, were you are far less apt to do so on Par 3's. I believe if you can break par on a par 3 course, you would be far more likely to do so on a 7K yard course. Unless of course you have a terrible long game. In which case you probably shouldn't be playing off any tees of 7k.

No offense but what kind of logic is that? If I play a par 3 course it's the same as nailing every single tee shot in the middle of the fairway for a whole round on a regulation course. I have 3 shots to put it in from a perfect, chosen, lie. The only holes it might be easier on a real course would be a shorter/easier par 5. Also, the par 3 courses around here that are $8-$10 have a max distance of about 150-160yds.. The one down the road for the 1st tee has a bunch between 85-120yds..

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
No offense but what kind of logic is that? If I play a par 3 course it's the same as nailing every single tee shot in the middle of the fairway for a whole round on a regulation course. I have 3 shots to put it in from a perfect, chosen, lie. The only holes it might be easier on a real course would be a shorter/easier par 5. Also, the par 3 courses around here that are $8-$10 have a max distance of about 150-160yds.. The one down the road for the 1st tee has a bunch between 85-120yds..
I believe it is logic supported by statistics I saw at one point (or actually several times). Will have to try and hunt it down. Actually I had a link to it on Golfonline, although since they have gone to Golf.com they did away with alot of pages like that one. You have to also consider things like birdies and eagles figure into averages. How many Eagles have you ever seen or made on a par 3? Again though we are talking in relation to people that play a 7k course. I believe the statistics I saw are for PGA players and better handicaps.

I believe if memory serves me, for the high-mid to Higher handicaps, par 5's are actually the higher average of the 3, and the entire scenario is reversed. Although I would hope those players are not playing a 7k course.

Now granted if your par 3 course is only between 85 to 120 yards, this may be a different story. To me that is more of an "Approach Course". Then I would assume what you mention may hold true, I know it would for me.

If you go on the PGATOUR Statistics site and look at the hole lists on separate hole performance, you will get an idea about what I am referring too. Although you may see the top few players may be lower on par 3's, in general that is not the case. Actually almost all of the players average very close to par on the par 5's

edit 1 - actually thinking a little bit about this. For a person capable of playing well off tees of 7k, a shot from 85-120 may very likely not be full shots, so unless you also have a very good short game, then I could still likely see you scoring better on a 7k course. For me however, 85 yards is almost a full sandwedge and I have 2-3 other clubs I could use almost full out to 120. I would bargain to guess you would rip me apart off 7k, but from that range you may likely have some trouble doing so. So I am not sure it would serve either one of us on the ability to score well in the other scenario.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Huh, maybe it's just me then. I played that par 3 course down the road over a dozen times last year. Greens are actually semi-challenging. Elevated and most have 2 tiers, bunkers as well 2 playing over water. The longest is 146 and the shortest 85 with a substantial 2 tier green. The worst score there for playing it twice, 18holes, was +6, the best was even and avg. was +3. Of course my real course par 3 avg. was 3.4 last year. I have more birdies on 3's than 4's and 5's combined, highest GIR % on 3's. Down in FL we played match play with "dings". I missed 2 par 3 GIR's in 54holes and had 2 birds.

I probably need to hit more fairways I guess.
icon10.gif

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I plan to change my practice up this year. I started doing it last year but want to take to next level. I'll be playing a lot of par 3 courses. Quite often they are empty of people and $8-$10 to play. My game, I came up with... play 2 balls specifically marked to tell the difference. Drop them on the teebox, no tee. Keep score on both balls and try to break par. Now here is the kicker... cannot use the same club off the tee for both balls. If I can't break par on a par 3 course, how will I ever do it on a 7K yard course?

Interesting thoughts that's for sure. There is a really nice par 3 course about 5 minutes from my house and it is great for practice. I havn't played with two balls before, but I love the fact its all short game practice! I take usually three clubs and my putter that's all. Not saying that I do it on purpose, but missing the greens there is amazing practice. If you can scramble for a par on a 90yd hole it becomes easier on a 400yd par 4.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
On another note, last year they opened an "approach Course" with lighting last year just down from our house. It was not until we looked at joining the club that we found out it was only $12-15 to play 9 and if we join it is 25% off that. Then a 50% replay if you choose. It is also built right off a Sam Snead's Restaurant (Sam Snead actually used to be the resident pro at this course when he lost the 1938 PGA Championship played there by a stroke). Similar to what you mention, they have holes ranging between 40-135 yards.

I'm guessing we will be playing the "Approach Course" a lot this year when my wife gets off work, they have tee times till 11pm.

Staff online

Members online