• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do you stretch/warm-up before playing?

ap1_alan

Jul 31, 2008
Hi everyone,

What do you guys do before you go out to the range, or play a round? I'm asking because i've been playing a lot more lately, and i've been starting to feel a little soreness in my shoulder after i play (and i'm only 25 years old).

Aside from the normal swing weights & shoulder turns, has anyone found any other routine to work better?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I actually do a lot of stretches you see before people do a baseball game(like minor league games). I came from basball, so it just kind of fit for me.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Each body has different agility levels. What works for one, might not work for another. The one guy in our group who does the most stretching, before playing, is the youngest... and the one with the most back problems. The rest of us are so old, we're almost afraid to stretch!!!!

I've got you by 40 years. First, I do not go to ranges. The Good Lord only put just so many swings in this ol' body. I'm not going to waste them hitting scuffed, out of round, rock hard, undimpled, Rock Flites on a range. The swings that are left are going to be made on green grass, chasing the ever alluding goal of bettering a personal best score.

I have one knee that was screwed back together some years ago... and, it's bone to bone. My back was ruined by too many years working heavy construction... and being too stubborn or too dumb to not know the limits of a human body. I'm too fat... too old... to grumpy... to really be playing this game! But, as long as I can kick the butt of a couple of young, flat-bellies a week.... I'll keep on swinging.

The muscles of your back and legs can be "stretched" before a round and, possibly, save you some significant pain... or early deterioration. Joint pain, such as your shoulder, may not be quite as easy. Something in your swing sequence may be agitating a rotator cuff. A good teacher may be able to see what you are doing, change some minor swing flaw, and allegivae your pain. Some folks just have chronic joint pain and find they need to move to all graphite shafts... or insert style shock absorbers in the shafts of their clubs.

You might even want to visit the family doctor and get a professional analysis of the cause of the pain. Pain, often, is a warning!!! At your young age, don't continue to disregard pain and cause life-long damage to your body. If you do, you'll end up like some of us old codgers who hope something hurts each morning... cause then we know we actually woke up!!!!

Good luck in finding the cause of your pain and a solution that will allow you to continue playing this great game of golf!!!

astayton

Jul 22, 2008
Have you tried this.

What about grabbing a few beers first. That always helps me to loosen up before a round.:biglol:

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
I have to stretch my back out before I play...if not, I'll be hurting by the turn.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I take an Aleve and crack open a beer. I dont hit a single ball or do a single stretch anymore and I dont notice any difference at all in my game. In fact it may be better as a result as stupid as that sounds.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.