• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How does Australia produce so many playas?

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I need to do a little research on population before I post this but....how does Australia produce so many playas? Great ones in the past...

I read in the paper last week that quite a few Aussies qualified for the USPGA Tour recently. I think somewhere between 4-7 new ones for next season alone..

Grazo - is it in the water or what?

Between the Aussies and South Africans - these two countries are producing far far more than their fair share of playas...

grazo

slacker hacker
Aug 31, 2004
Australia has a very rich sporting history. As a nation (and I'm making a sweeping generalisation here) we don't give much thought to anything else. Favourite Aussie passtimes:

1. sport
2. sport
3. drinking
4. sport

You know how a country has a reputation for doing at least one thing well? Guess what ours is??

Did you know we have finished top 5 at the last 2 olympics? And we have a population of 20 million - when you work this out I think we have the highest medal per capita tally by a long way...

To answer your question seriously, maybe climate has a lot to do with it. I still freak out when I hear that some of you guys can't play golf for months on end because of the snow - you can play right through winter here if you're keen enough, and that goes for all sports. Climate may well be a factor when you consider that ours is very similar to South Africa's and they too are a rich sporting nation.

I also think most people in Australia have access to above-standard sporting facilities, and are encouraged to get involved from a young age. I know golf is an exclusive (elitist?) sport in many countries, but it remains accessible for many here.

Other than that all I can suggest is that success breeds success. I think the reason why there are heaps of Aussies on the PGA tour is because of Greg Norman - his influence on golf in Australia was and is huge, and you always hear about guys like Adam Scott and Aaron Baddeley saying how they idolised the Shark when they were growing up.

We also have great courses like the famed sandbelt courses in Melbourne, which provide a gruelling test of golfing skill. Courses like Royal Melbourne are rated top 20 in the world, and to be successful on them you have to have an all-round game, which augers well for golfers heading overseas. Ernie said last year that the reason he likes to come and play the Heineken Classic in February at Royal Melbourne is because the greens provide a good warm-up for Augusta in April.

:australia

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Okay I'm sold.
Rock, you coming? I'll pay you a Foster when we get there.

:p

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
grazo said:
Australia has a very rich sporting history. As a nation (and I'm making a sweeping generalisation here) we don't give much thought to anything else. Favourite Aussie passtimes:

1. sport
2. sport
3. drinking
4. sport

I've always thought a trip to Austraia would be fun but now I'm convinced. Just one thing so I don't embarrass myself. Is drinking considered a sport or a game. :D

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
rockford35 said:
I'm in.

I'm gonna get banned from GR first tho. ;)

R35

The "Banned from GR club" is not very exclusive these days...an easy club to get into and the initiation fees are low.

It will be interesting to see how many new screen names they come up with and how long it takes Dork to figure them out and ban them...

This will be entertainment itself.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Pretty much.

I wonder if any of them are Aussie's? (Only to keep this on topic!) :)

I'm still waiting on those pics of all the Aussie lady athletes that I was promised.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Our lottery is up over 30m. If I win we're all going to Australia. You can see those ladies in person Rock. That's sort of on topic right? :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Dude, you just made my day.

Funny story, althought not about Australia.

A guy that lives in a city close to here one just over 4.5 million bucks in '96. He then spent 1000 bucks a week buying lottery tickets. Then he won 500 grand more after about 18 months. Nice turnaround.

Last Friday there was a story about him in the newspaper about how he's dead broke. Bought and smashed 4 Dodge Vipers and blew 5 million bucks in less than 8 years. Addicted to gambling and stupid spending.

Hilarious!

I'm so in for the holiday Dave. Thanks for thinking of me. When we go, i'll buy you something nice. :canadafla

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
The guy actually made it longer than the average from what I've read. I can't remember the exact number but I'm pretty sure the average lotto winner goes through the money in less than 5 years.

My neighbors sister in law is a good example though not a lotto winner. Several years ago she got breast implants and then decided to sue the doctor who put them in. She received a 7 figure settlement. She and her husband immediately quit their jobs and bought an oceanfront condo. From what my neighbor passed on they lived very well for about 3 years and then were completely broke and went back to work.

The part I like the best is that her settlement was based on her severe health problems caused by the implants but the money somehow cured everything that was wrong with her. There are way too many lawyers in this country. :usflag:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Crazy. And I agree on the lawyer point.

Your neighbour's sis in law there, she single? Any pics? :D

R35

DaveE