• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How fast??? How far??? Really????

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States

DeChambeau thinks he will be exceeding 200 mph ball speed in 2022. World record is 231 and DeChambeau has already been clocked at 220. He doesn't think he's hitting far enough!!!

And... had to drop out of the last tournament with a wrist injury. Always said Wood's body could not hold up forever with his swing speed. Took a long time, but finally caught up with him. Can DeChambeau's... can anyone's body... hold up with his continuing desire to swing faster... and faster... and faster....???? Is there a need on Tour to hit it as far as he seems to want to?

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I will say it anyway. I really think these two things deserve to be and need to be separate. To me they are just too different. IMO anyway!

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Golf is a scoring contest. Distance only helps if you have control off the tee and a complete game.
This 100% and why I think anyway, that although both are super cool. Long Drive Championships and Tour Golf are two entirely different expertises.

On that note; I’m a little curious if any of you know or track your swing/ball speeds. To be perfectly honest it’s something I’d never even considered

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
This 100% and why I think anyway, that although both are super cool. Long Drive Championships and Tour Golf are two entirely different expertises.

On that note; I’m a little curious if any of you know or track your swing/ball speeds. To be perfectly honest it’s something I’d never even considered
Once I found out my driver swing speed was under 90mph, I stopped wondering/measuring/caring. I now play the lightest, highest torque shaft I can afford.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Once I found out my driver swing speed was under 90mph, I stopped wondering/measuring/caring. I now play the lightest, highest torque shaft I can afford.
Back in the 90's, wasn't there a move towards some really whippy graphite shafts? I can't remember the name of them. Timing was the key. I think Bomb Squad Golf or WRX has a contingent who thought that was the future of golf.

I'm still pretty much sticking with shafts that should never be in the bag of a 75 year old!!! Any time I go to something lighter, the game goes in the toilet. My swing is such a mess... always has been... light flex shafts wander all over the place. All I care about is winning about as many quarters as I lose from the geezers.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I'm still pretty much sticking with shafts that should never be in the bag of a 75 year old!!! Any time I go to something lighter, the game goes in the toilet.
I am very much a part of this camp, age be damned!! It’s very likely I’m gaming sticks that have no business even being in my possession as well. But it works and there’s really no other explanation. Experimenting with anything else always finds your game in the trash. Never fails!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I have never been a fan of lighter shafts. Technically, you can swing a light shaft a bit faster, but on what swing plane? Weight provides stability. If you can swing a heavier shaft at nearly the same speed as a lighter shaft, you will get more energy transfer into the golf ball and find it easier to stay in plane. The only reason I have finally gone almost completely graphite shafts is due to the increase in heavier graphite shafts becoming easier to find.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
What was the item that totally revolutionized golf irons? Karsten's Ping Eye 2. What shaft... singular... was available in over 99% of the Eye 2's produced. ZZ Lite. What flex rating did the ZZ Lite have? Stiff. Who played the ZZ Lite in Ping Eye 2's with success? Women... Hackers... Low 'cappers... Professional PGA players.

Karsten was a proponent of consistency over distance. If you hit an 8 iron 165 yards, consistently, why use a lighter flex to hit it 180... left... right... long... short? If you hit an 8 iron 100 yards, consistently, why use a light flex to hit it 120 yards... left... right... long... short.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
What was the item that totally revolutionized golf irons? Karsten's Ping Eye 2. What shaft... singular... was available in over 99% of the Eye 2's produced. ZZ Lite. What flex rating did the ZZ Lite have? Stiff. Who played the ZZ Lite in Ping Eye 2's with success? Women... Hackers... Low 'cappers... Professional PGA players.

Karsten was a proponent of consistency over distance. If you hit an 8 iron 165 yards, consistently, why use a lighter flex to hit it 180... left... right... long... short? If you hit an 8 iron 100 yards, consistently, why use a light flex to hit it 120 yards... left... right... long... short.
I tend to gravitate towards a heavier shaft as well, I kind of think that’s my baseball and hockey background coming through. This point about the ZZ Lite shafts also makes a great deal of sense. I agree totally with Karsten’s consistency over distance.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Perhaps going against my better judgment and likely risking some harassment from others. I’m fine with sharing this info. I played a round of virtual golf last weekend and I made a point of paying a little extra attention to my swing speeds with my driver. I was averaging 88.9mph with my highest speed being 94. That resulted in a beautiful 271.5 yard driver (longest of the day.) It really made me even more in awe of Mr. Dechambeau.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Perhaps going against my better judgment and likely risking some harassment from others. I’m fine with sharing this info. I played a round of virtual golf last weekend and I made a point of paying a little extra attention to my swing speeds with my driver. I was averaging 88.9mph with my highest speed being 94. That resulted in a beautiful 271.5 yard driver (longest of the day.) It really made me even more in awe of Mr. Dechambeau.
Enjoy it while a young flat-belly!!!! Some day, you'll reach geezer age and only dream about the days when you could hit a drive over 200 yards!!! :>)

🔥 Latest posts