• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How I dropped Hcp from 11 to 7 this summer

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
My Hcp has been around 10-14 for the last few years. I just did not seem to improve in spite of many range sessions. This spring I broke apart my game in strengths and weaknesses. I then tried to focus on weaknesses with action plans. The following list is the changes I made in order of importance.

1. Improved Chipping Stance
2. Purchased Dynamics Swing Glove
3. Put 4 hybrids in my bag
4. Purchased wide soled Game improvement irons
5. Shafted irons with Project X shafts
6. Spined aligned all shafts NBP downrange

1. Chipping Stance- I was standing too far away from the ball. This led to skulled chips, fat chips and more frustrating pulled chips. By moving closer to ball my balance got better and I am able to hold my spine angle more constant throughout shot. I really didn't think this should matter in such a simple shot but it worked wonders. Once I got rid of the errors I was able to work on feel. Chipping is now the strongest part of my game:)

2. Dynamics Swing Glove-Training aid designed to maintain the flat wrist angle at the top of swing. My accuracy with my irons sucked. Left -Right -Fade sometimes etc. The glove put my wrist in a neutral flat position at the top. Now it is easy to replicate the same swing plane as my wrist angle therefore the shaft angle starts from the same place each time. Easy to feel the proper wrist cock and swing lag now. It feels like I'm slinging the irons and the accuracy has improved dramatically.

3.Hybrids were so easy to hit with high trajectory. The 4 hybrids cover 190 yards out to 240 yards. It takes the pressure off to get a massive drive on each hole.

4.Since the hybrids were so successful I reasoned that my irons should have the same qualities that the hybrids have. A wide sole and low center of gravity. I am a picker so this seemed logical. At first I looked at all hybrid sets such as the Cleveland HiBores. Way too high trajectory. After more research and range trials I went with Hogan Edge CFT irons. Adjusted their lie 2' up. Other brands of GI clubs worked equally well for me but the Hogans were $167 ebay shipped.:laugh: These clubs are very easy to hit and extremely forgiving yet I can work them if needed.

5. High end shafts but their ball flight is great for me. High but penetrating. My previous shafts were Dynamic Gold S-300. They were a bit harsh for me and tended to balloon on short irons. I'm guessing Black Golds would also be fine. Distance control is great with the PX. Dispersion is also good.

6. I shaft my own clubs so I purchased a JB spiner $35. So easy to use. The shafts feels the same from club to club now. Helps my distance feel.

Don't know where I'll go from here. To get rid of more strokes the 50 yard and in game needs to improve and I'm not sure if I want to give up playing time to practice time. We will see.:laugh:

Jun 24, 2006
Congrats on the handicap drop Zaph.

The ONLY BAD thing about lowering your handicap is that it gets even harder to improve the lower handicap you are.

Keep it going.

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Thanks Canada,

So true about dropping Hcp further! At 54 years old I may have peaked. I may have gotten my swing under control now but those age issues are creeping in. My flexibility is something akin to a 2x4. Have been also battling Planter Fascitis lately. The foot pain in the morning is a bummer.

But golf is still fun and a good obsession.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I didn't know steel shafts had spines.

Great improvement, Zaphod. I notice you didn't have any putting plan listed. You certainly made some great logical choices, but what about putting? Lots of strokes to be had there.

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
Good for you dropping your cap. This is how I raised my cap from a 7 last fall to an 11.4 currently. CRAPPY DRIVING!!!!!!:laugh: Maybe the 10 or so different drivers I have purchased and tried has led to my problems.:ugly25:

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
My putting has been "not bad" for the last few years. In the last two weeks I have improved my putting by first establishing my dominate eye then compensating my stance for that eye. I'm right handed and right eye dominate. Now I make sure when I'm squatting behind the ball I read the green with my right eye on the line. My putting stance is very similar to Jack Nicklaus except my feet and shoulders are open to allow my right eye to directly see the line. Also have put the grip more into the palm of right hand to reduce a wristy stroke. Am much more confident now and will see if this change will help Hcp. With these changes I'm averaging 2-4 birdies per round. Have had 3 eagles this year. 2 with the 52* wedge chipping and 1 putting. Previous to this year I've just had 1 eagle my golfing career (25 years).

Yes steel and graphite shafts have spines. I've spined 40+ shafts and each shaft has a definite spine. I thought when I got into premium shafts the spine would be gone or at least not as evident. Not so. Some of those PX shafts had a VERY strong spine. Same with Aldila NV and NVS.

🔥 Latest posts