• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How I gained 10 yards through my bag

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
Thats right. I have gained 10 yards on every club. I can sum it up in one word. Exercise. Yep, I know this is blasphymous, but it happened with the same irons that I have been playing for 4 years now. So it wasn't even new clubs.

I got into an argument with a co-worker who played college football and to make a long story short it is going to be settled on the field. So I joined a gym, because I can't lose to my buddy right. I have a simple routine that only takes about 30-40 min that I do before work 3 time a week.

My first rounds of this year I started to notice that I was flying greens or at least landing on the back of them. At first I blew it off to wind or something. I really noticed it during my last round after 3 shots flew the green. I finally got myself to believe it was true and dropped a club for my last few holes and started to find the middle of the green again. I tested my theory on the final hole and dropped a ball at the 150 yd marker. I have hit my 7 iron 150 yards as long as I can remember. I hit my 8 iron on a frozen rope and flew the stick to the back of the green. Confirmed.

I hope this might inspire a few people to get back into some exercise routines, if nothing else for the betterment of your golf game. And what better reason is there than that?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Great to hear :D Keep it up and you'll be joining the ranks of the 208 yard 7-iron hitters on the PGA Tour.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Great post bames. I hope it goes someway to dispel the myth that working out hampers having a smooth, rhythmic swing.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
I don't think by any means I have the swing capable of those 208 yd 7 irons haha. Those guys are amazing. But I can say I started working out to beat my friend in an NFL Combine contest and it has had very positive effects on my golf game. I've been tempted to tailor my workouts toward golfing. I really do hope it can just help inspire others to add or improve exercising in their lives.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I started doing golf specific strength training last year, so I would be stronger out of the rough. It only took about a month and a half before I started seeing results. I'm flying a smooth 6i just over 180 now opposed to 165, so yeah, exercise definitely makes a difference.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
Exercise is great and we all should do more to stay healthy. In the scheme of things does 10 yards more per club make a difference in scoring. What if you took the same amount of time you spent exercising and you worked on your game, especially the short game. That would seem to make a bigger difference. That is if your only goal is to score lower. Now losing weight may be more important than scoring lower.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Yep I've lost about 40 pounds over the last year and a half, it's definitely helped my game and distance! :)

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
No idea if I have gained any distance since I started working out a month ago, haven't played since then. I know I gained 10+ yds with all my irons just from recovering from the heart surgery over the last year.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Stretching for me. I've always exercised, but it's not any large amount of strength training. Mainly just to keep in decent shape, not trying to be a monster or anything. About 30-40 minutes on the multi-machine with elliptical trainer time between sets a few times a week, just keeping the body as a whole fresh and in good shape. But my back and neck problems (from banging around on motorcycles and moving things heavier than my 145lb ass has business moving) started annoying me a couple of months ago and I talked to the wife (yoga chick) and some internet searches and found some good stretches for my lower back, glutes, calves, hamstrings, and shoulders. That had an INSTANT effect on the golf. It may not have been instant if I weren't someone who already worked out, I dunno. But I feel like I swing so much easier and smoother, and I can play pretty much as long as I like with no soreness. It's awesome. I do these stretches all the time now, it just makes me feel good in normal everyday life. I'll do them in the morning and evening while talking to the wife, sometimes in my office after lunch if I feel like it. I'm limbered up enough in the golfing motions that I don't really even have to stretch or warm up when I go play. I've probably done the stretches once or twice the same day by the time I get to the course, I can grab a club and rip off a full swing no problem. Not long ago I had to stretch and work my way up to that.

It feels good enough that I would take it so far as to start doing yoga, but there's no way I could be in a room full of chicks making those moves and be able to focus on what I was really trying to do...

295yards

May 5, 2009
Thats right. I have gained 10 yards on every club. I can sum it up in one word. Exercise. Yep, I know this is blasphymous, but it happened with the same irons that I have been playing for 4 years now. So it wasn't even new clubs.

I got into an argument with a co-worker who played college football and to make a long story short it is going to be settled on the field. So I joined a gym, because I can't lose to my buddy right. I have a simple routine that only takes about 30-40 min that I do before work 3 time a week.

My first rounds of this year I started to notice that I was flying greens or at least landing on the back of them. At first I blew it off to wind or something. I really noticed it during my last round after 3 shots flew the green. I finally got myself to believe it was true and dropped a club for my last few holes and started to find the middle of the green again. I tested my theory on the final hole and dropped a ball at the 150 yd marker. I have hit my 7 iron 150 yards as long as I can remember. I hit my 8 iron on a frozen rope and flew the stick to the back of the green. Confirmed.

I hope this might inspire a few people to get back into some exercise routines, if nothing else for the betterment of your golf game. And what better reason is there than that?

I've lost somewhere around 10+ mph clubhead speed since last year.
I have always believed in the speed training principle to never train slow ( weightlifting )
Right now I am two weeks into a 3month program of P90X.
It is intense! Muscle building, plyometrics, yoga...OUCH.
I am way too sore to swing a club right now but it almost feels like I realize how ineffecient my body is when I workout.
I can feel myself struggling to keep my balance, and my lack of force I am able to generate even just years ago.
Assuming I get stronger, more balanced and flexible I can only assume I should gain some ( hopefully ALL or MORE ) of clubhead speed back.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I've lost somewhere around 10+ mph clubhead speed since last year.
I have always believed in the speed training principle to never train slow ( weightlifting )
Right now I am two weeks into a 3month program of P90X.
It is intense! Muscle building, plyometrics, yoga...OUCH.
I am way too sore to swing a club right now but it almost feels like I realize how ineffecient my body is when I workout.
I can feel myself struggling to keep my balance, and my lack of force I am able to generate even just years ago.
Assuming I get stronger, more balanced and flexible I can only assume I should gain some ( hopefully ALL or MORE ) of clubhead speed back.

Do NOT give up on P90X - it's an awesome program. You will get MUCH stronger especially in your legs and back - both very important muscle groups in everyday life.

295yards

May 5, 2009
Do NOT give up on P90X - it's an awesome program. You will get MUCH stronger especially in your legs and back - both very important muscle groups in everyday life.
Thanks.
I have no intentions of giving up on the program.
It is intense and I am always sore right now, but I already am feeling much better and expect to feel GREAT when I reach the end.
This type of training goes against my previous beliefs of training for speed but thats all out the window at this point!!!
I expect to be swinging 120+ mph after the full 90 days and have ambition to get in the 130's ( maybe a little lofty but 125 would be NUTS )

🔥 Latest posts