• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How important is your golf bag?

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
United States United States
Right now I have a Ben Hogan cart bag. I paid $50 for it. To me, it is worth a whole lot more. It has all of the features I need. However, over the summer when the golf courses around me weren't allowing carts, this wasn't such a great bag to have. It's on the heavy side and yo lug it around for 18 holes wasn't ideal. I bought a cheap stand bag to hold me over. Now the stand bag was definitely better for walking the course, but it lacked a lot of the pockets that I needed. And it was kinda flimsy. How important is your golf bag to you? What features do you need? Or does it not matter?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

9f70830598e7c3a9aa2e0422da0e9a95.jpg
42c7a71aaaebd8bd17a95bc8272ff872.jpg
7ed2f034fd054e9f0919a233d029423e.jpg

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Love my bag. It has to be at least 10 years old. The photo below is stamped 2010. Every zipper still works. It is a Titlest bag. made for them by Sun Mountain. It was the last year Sun Mountain made their bags. Now, I believe Datrek makes them. Have to have full length dividers. Need spacious pockets for balls, tees, winter gear, etc. Poor old thing is getting awfully faded, now. Was pretty back then.
2011-01-12 002.JPG

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
Love my bag. It has to be at least 10 years old. The photo below is stamped 2010. Every zipper still works. It is a Titlest bag. made for them by Sun Mountain. It was the last year Sun Mountain made their bags. Now, I believe Datrek makes them. Have to have full length dividers. Need spacious pockets for balls, tees, winter gear, etc. Poor old thing is getting awfully faded, now. Was pretty back then.
View attachment 32208
I love Titleist bag. That looks really nice.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I lugged/carted a Titleist stand-up bag around for about 10 years. Then the bolt holding the leg broke so I got a shoulder bolt from the hardware store and fixed it. Lugged it around for another 10 years. It has four pockets.

Then I got a push cart. Carry bags do not like push carts.

So I got my new cart bag and it has eleven pockets.

I use 4 of them.
lol.gif

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I lugged/carted a Titleist stand-up bag around for about 10 years. Then the bolt holding the leg broke so I got a shoulder bolt from the hardware store and fixed it. Lugged it around for another 10 years. It has four pockets.

Then I got a push cart. Carry bags do not like push carts.

So I got my new cart bag and it has eleven pockets.

I use 4 of them.
lol.gif
Don't know if I could go back to only 4 pockets. Did that for years when I carried Ping Hoofer bags. Today... 1 pocket has mosquito spray and vanilla spray for gnats and Tylenol in summer months. This time of year the bug sprays are replaced with handwarmers. 2nd pocket has rain hood. 3rd pocket has balls. 4th pocket... tees and ball divot tools. 5th... Truck keys, extra scorecards. 6th... Extras golf gloves, winter gloves, stocking hat, etc. Could I consolidate? Old habits are difficult for old people to change!!!

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Don't know if I could go back to only 4 pockets. Did that for years when I carried Ping Hoofer bags. Today... 1 pocket has mosquito spray and vanilla spray for gnats and Tylenol in summer months. This time of year the bug sprays are replaced with handwarmers. 2nd pocket has rain hood. 3rd pocket has balls. 4th pocket... tees and ball divot tools. 5th... Truck keys, extra scorecards. 6th... Extras golf gloves, winter gloves, stocking hat, etc. Could I consolidate? Old habits are difficult for old people to change!!!
caddyshack-1024x587.jpg

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I picked up an original MacKenzie bag years ago, one of my sets is in it. It's basically the current Walker version with 1 pocket. I enjoyed using this bag in part because it forced me to carry very little with me...a few balls, tees, ball marks. Just what you really need to play 18 holes.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
I carry a fraction of these things. No sharpies or pencils in my bag. I use plastic reese that never break. So I only have about three of them. I carry only one glove and just 6 balls. A divot tool and a couple of quarters to mark my ball. Towel and club cleaner hang on the outside. An umbrella, rain hood, and rain clothes. And that's about it.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I carry a fraction of these things. No sharpies or pencils in my bag. I use plastic reese that never break. So I only have about three of them. I carry only one glove and just 6 balls. A divot tool and a couple of quarters to mark my ball. Towel and club cleaner hang on the outside. An umbrella, rain hood, and rain clothes. And that's about it.

It was sarcasm. I lol'd :D

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I use a small stand bag. I only use 8 or 9 clubs, depending on the course. Bag has minimal pockets. I carry some balls, tees, ball markers. I occasionally walk in VA, so a lightweight rig is important.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I picked up an original MacKenzie bag years ago, one of my sets is in it. It's basically the current Walker version with 1 pocket. I enjoyed using this bag in part because it forced me to carry very little with me...a few balls, tees, ball marks. Just what you really need to play 18 holes.
This little handmade leather MacKenzie is only $995!!!!
GDJ_Buck_0005_72dpi_Retouched.png

🔥 Latest posts