• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How long before you’re gaming a new buy??

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Are you the type to walk outta the pro shop, onto the first tee and swing away with a new club? Or do you take a little more time, make modifications or practice with the club first??

I’m definitely the latter, perhaps I’m just too picky?? But I can’t play with something before I’ve put my spin on it. I hope its not just me?!?! LOL

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I might have to put a midsize grip on, but other than that I lit the club right in play. No better way to see if it’s gonna work than on the course. From there I might make some adjustments but always tested on the course.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
If you take a club to the range before you play it, the club will think you don't trust it. It will get an attitude and never perform to its fullest ability. Go straight from the store to the first tee and a club will define itself on the very first hole.
Back when I was going through clubs faster than grass through a goose, I never worked with a club before playing it. (For that matter, I haven't hit a bucket of range balls in over 2 years.) I remember one time I had a tournament scheduled for an afternoon. That morning, I went by a golf shop and traded my driver for another one. IIRC, the new one was a Callaway FT driver of some sort. I think I hit two houses some distance off the course with that club the first round!!!!
I'm a 'tinkerer'. Even though I'm not buying many clubs, I never know what will be in the bag tomorrow. With three sets of irons, if one isn't working it goes in time out. If the driver or one of the Mini's gives me grief, I will change shafts after the round. I have a bucket load of Callaway shafts and it's unbolt one and bolt in another. Switched shafts in one club and changed settings on two more after Friday's round.
So... I'm not a good one to give advice about working with a club before putting it in play.........

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I open the box and put the club in the bag. If it behaves badly the first round, I sell it. If it works well, I sell it a few weeks later so I can get some next ex-club.

I’ve had plenty of clubs make this rotation too, actually the driver I played today. Bought it a few weeks ago, an M6, and it’s not bad. Not any longer than my M2 and I still have the 2 way miss going. Might keep it, might sell it but the M2 is going back in the bag next weekend. I only have a few more shots, hopefully, to break 80 this year and need all the good juju I can get!

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I used to always try to demo a club on the range before I buy, but my last three purchases hit the ground running. I bought my Ping G400 driver and my Callaway Mavrik Max three and five woods off the rack. I wasn't fitted and didn't demo them on the range. I did hit several shots with a friend's clubs on the course during casual rounds. I also read through reviews on this site and other golf sites. It was risky, but thankfully it has worked. I certainly do not recommend this method. I've been playing for 55+ years and know my swing pretty well through trial and error. I still think most people should have a proper fitting or at least demo on the range or on the course before they buy.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Hahaha YUP! I’m just way too picky!! So, I bought a 917 3w few months ago now, because I wanted to try the shaft... I played my one round this year with the head, attached to the shaft from my 915, because I just couldn’t be bothered to put a grip on the shaft I wanted to try!!

I also have a SM5 60* I researched the crap out of and searched for. That hasn’t gotten into the bag yet because I can’t find the grip I’d like. Bought this wedge almost a year ago now... these are both jobs for when the snow flies!!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Hahaha YUP! I’m just way too picky!! So, I bought a 917 3w few months ago now, because I wanted to try the shaft... I played my one round this year with the head, attached to the shaft from my 915, because I just couldn’t be bothered to put a grip on the shaft I wanted to try!!

I also have a SM5 60* I researched the crap out of and searched for. That hasn’t gotten into the bag yet because I can’t find the grip I’d like. Bought this wedge almost a year ago now... these are both jobs for when the snow flies!!

What grip are you looking for that you can’t find? I assume something no longer in production?

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
What grip are you looking for that you can’t find? I assume something no longer in production?

I played for three years with Feel Golf reverse tapered grips... They were super weird looking and got a ton of comments, but damn man, some of my best wedge play ever!! I’d love to find them again and do up a set of three wedges that I will never get rid of ever!!

Plan B is a Golf Pride CP2 jumbo. That I do have, the FIL is trying to snake it for himself tho! As for the 3w, guilty as charged Jim, I just got lazy!!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I played for three years with Feel Golf reverse tapered grips... They were super weird looking and got a ton of comments, but damn man, some of my best wedge play ever!! I’d love to find them again and do up a set of three wedges that I will never get rid of ever!!

Plan B is a Golf Pride CP2 jumbo. That I do have, the FIL is trying to snake it for himself tho! As for the 3w, guilty as charged Jim, I just got lazy!!

eBay has some feel Golf grips

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
eBay has some feel Golf grips

At the risk of possibly making myself sound ancient, believe it or not. This flattish belly, dad bod has never bought anything from eBay!! I don’t have a PayPal account or any of that. My biggest online ventures are Kijiji or piggybacking off my wife’s Amazon account. Strange maybe? But I just like it that way!!

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
So, i just got my new M6 driver. I got the call Wednesday it was in. Thursday after playing I went and picked it up. Got home, pulled the shaft from the TS2, and installed it into the M6. Played a few holes with it Friday, then into competition on Saturday and Sunday.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
At the risk of possibly making myself sound ancient, believe it or not. This flattish belly, dad bod has never bought anything from eBay!! I don’t have a PayPal account or any of that. My biggest online ventures are Kijiji or piggybacking off my wife’s Amazon account. Strange maybe? But I just like it that way!!

You don’t need PayPal, you can use a CC

🔥 Latest posts