• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How long before you broke 100/90/80/70

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
I realise its relative to how much you really put into it.. but how long did you take before you broke the major milestones (breaking 100/90/80/70) since starting up (if any)?

How much course time and practice have you put in to get there?

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
I've been playing for seven or eight months and I have an 83 (Cinnabar Hills Mountain/Canyon from the Cinnabar tees) to my credit. Most of the time I am in the high 80's and low 90's.

I played a little bit in High School but only to get in the same class as a girl I liked. Never played the game seriously until now.

S-

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I think it took me 1 season to break 100, then I played in the 90's all of yr. 2. Year 3 (last year) I broke 90 and then broke 80 several times. Also made my 1st eagle. This year I've been playing much more demanding courses. To break 80 on my "home" course would be an accomplishment. To get to a sub 5 would put me in the top 10% in my state. Scratch would put me in the running to compete in the RI Amatuer. I hope to get there by age 40.
icon12.gif

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
2 years to break 100. I'm still at the 100 mark give and take.

Last year and this year alot of practice at the range, backyard and on the course...Alot of short game made a huge difference.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
broke 100/90 my first year, this is my second year and ive broke 80 a couple times. Never broke 70. I play or practice almost everyday. Sometimes its just chipping in the back yard because its too late to do anything else or its days like today where i spent an hour chipping, 1/2 at the range, and then played 27 holes.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
My good friend who taught me to play golf wouldn't let me out to the course until he felt that I would be able to play without embarassing myself, so we spent six months going to the range and hitting balls in his back yard hitting net before I went to the course. My first round was a 92, I have never shot over 100. I was shooting in the 80's by the end of my first year of playing. I made it into the 70's in my second season and bounced around between the mid 70's to low 80's for all of year 2.

I had my first even par round in my third season, my Senior year of high school and broke 70 the summer after I graduated.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
Tmag-Did you play college golf? If you did do you have any advice on what to do to get on a college team? Sorry for the threadjack fastback.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Tmag-Did you play college golf? If you did do you have any advice on what to do to get on a college team? Sorry for the threadjack fastback.

Yes, I played for a small school in North Carolina, was only on the team for 2 years before I passed my PAT for the PGA and entered into that program.

I just went a tried out for the team, we didn't give out scholarships for the golf team, just basketball, so it was relatively easy to make the team.

artfulgolfer

Jan 8, 2007
Started playing regularly 2 years ago. Played weekly my first year. Broke 90 the first month. Broke 80 in 4 months, but didn't do so regularly for over a year. Started playing twice a week my 2nd year and have now shot several 71-73 rounds, but never broken 70. My goal is to break 70 before 3 years is up.

JamesR

Interlocking Now
Sep 25, 2005
started golf in 05.

Broke 100 in fall 05
Broke 90 in spring 06
Broke 80 in summer 06

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I've been playing for seven or eight months and I have an 83 (Cinnabar Hills Mountain/Canyon from the Cinnabar tees) to my credit. Most of the time I am in the high 80's and low 90's.

I played a little bit in High School but only to get in the same class as a girl I liked. Never played the game seriously until now.

S-

83 at Cinnabar is a pretty solid score. I've yet to play there post lessons so I'm still looking to crack 90 there. Getting off the tee is so damn important there though and the greens are faster than just about everywhere in the area.

To get back on track to thread:
I broke 100 and 90 within a couple of months of starting and then left the game for many years. This is my fourth season back into the game after that long hiatus. Last year, 3rd season back, was the first year I've ever been serious about my scores and I actually started practicing but I could never play consistently. I FINALLY took a lesson late in the year and scored an 83 my second round after my first lesson.

So far this season I've consistently shot in the 80s and, for the first time, flirted with the 80 barrier. I fully expect to break 80 this year and, trust me, y'all will know when I do. :D

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
1 month in never went over 100 again
4 months for 90
year for 80
2 years 70

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
WOW!!! You Guys Are Good!!!!

Played my first ever round late in '05,
the only one for that year.
Played all last season,
took lessons and practiced as much as I could.
Played 6 rounds so far this year.
And am hitting the range about once a week.
(As a truckdriver my schedule is extremely tight.)
And still haven't broken 100 yet.
Getting a little closer,
but still have a long way to go.

I don't know too many players that waited until they were 53 to take up this game,
sure do wish I tried this many years ago!!!

O'well, I'll just keep plugging along and see what happens!:laugh:

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Greydawg to break 100 take the driver out the bag.Simple.

Nah - in this instance it isn't that simple. Having now played 2 rounds (well, 1 and 2/3rds!) with him his driver is one of his most reliable clubs in his bag and rarely gets him into trouble. His 'miss' with it is actually to come in steep on the ball and pop it up higher, but he rarely hits it too badly off line so it just goes high but still straight.

In this case, all Greydawg's extra shots that are costing him sub-100 scores are from 150yds and in, with lots of pulled mid-irons, skulled chips and misreading distances. Yesterday at least 3 or 4 really well hit wedge shots cost him an extra shot on his card as they fell 10 to 20 yards short of the green.

Lots of short game practice, really working out his iron distances accurately and a nice dose of course management and he'd be breaking 100 within a couple of rounds.

For me I first took to a golf course in November 2005 after a few weeks with just a driver and 3w down at the range and a couple of sessions with some borrowed irons. I played 2 or 3 rounds that year before taking it more seriously, and then played a dozen or so more where I started to bring my scores down between 100 and 110. Then, the next round after reading the 'Breaking 100' book, I shot a 97 - this was in early September 2006. Since then I've only shot 3 more rounds over 100, and one of those was on a course with a 139 slope!

🔥 Latest posts