• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How long do you play a ball?

Fuzzifus

Jun 12, 2005
Well, with all this talk of which ball is best, blah,blah,blah, I pose a question that I have thought about for a while and approached differently myself a few times. How long will you play the same ball, provided you don't "misplace" it. And also under what conditions? I.E. Tournament play versus league play versus leisurely games with your pals? How long will you play a ball in all these situations?

I find that I will play the same ball for say, 3 consecutive rounds before demoting it to the ball pouch, this being under league/tournament conditions (when I am trying to play my best.) If I am out for a friendly round or practice, I pull one out of the pouch rather then a new ball. This is partially because Pro V's are a bit pricey to go through as many as I would if I always te'd up a new one, and that the ones that have been demoted are still good, just with some mileage on them.....

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
well, i just play it until it fails to go in the hole in a reasonable number of strokes, then i hit it into the woods. If a ball stays alive for long enough to be unfit for play in that the cover is getting beat up, i just leave it at home to hit into the woods

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I think the longest I've gone without losing a ball is about 3 rounds, so I usually just play them till they go away.

Other than that, I would switch if I really damaged one on a cart path or car hood. :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I play a ball as long as I can. If it's banged up, but still going straight and dropping in the hole on putts, it stays out there.

No sense wasting a good thing. Or, smoking the next clean ball into the trees.

I don't lose balls all that often, so I can go quite a long time with the same ball. I have a ball that has a nice reddish purple mark on it from a budding poplar tree this spring. Stupid 3 wood.... ;)

R35

BentGrass

In the Lumbar Yard
Jul 3, 2005
It's the old beat up ones that I can't seem to lose. The sure way to lose a ball is to get out a nice new shinny one. My theory is after a few rounds I've beaten the water magnet out of them.

longiron

May 2, 2005
I try to use the same ball for 2-3 rounds unless it get realy marked up. I saw in GD where they tested ball with grass, mud, Scuffs, ect. to see what affect it had on them and it was preaty interesting. Sorry i looked and cant find it in my stash or online.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
I play balls that don`t look too scratchy. I don`t even count how long I`ve played them, as I`m sure some of them are more than 2 years old, but looks okay.
I`m just waiting for my elder brother to come here, as we`ve got a golf bet going... The prize: either a golf bag, or a box of balls of your choice (Nike One platinum? ;) )

Lamma

May 23, 2005
Like everyone else, I ride the horse until it drops or runs off. The only time I'll get rid of a ball on purpose is if I've put a smiley face on it. Then it's no good.

A friend of mine who's a scratch player plays with the expensive ones and even he keeps a ball until it's completely worn out.

MyGolfDomain.com

Apr 2, 2005
I usually play a couple of balls on average per round. If I cut it with a wedge or hit a cart path I often toss it. I buy new balls with pro shop credit to keep goin' hehe.

LazySumo

Apr 11, 2005
I play mine until they get about a three foot layer of pond water over the top of them. So that's usually two to three holes. Depends on how many water hazards are out there.

A few weeks back I picked up a brick of Titleist at Costco, may as well have been a flock of ducks for how much those balls loved water. Would have been cuter at least, and better eating.

mgoblue

Who me?
Jun 9, 2005
I usually dig in my bag until I find a ball that doesn't look to bad. Then I play that until I lose it. Repeat. When I'm feeling lucky, I'll pull out a new ball, but they don't usually last a whole round.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
weekend rounds i try to use older balls as long as they arent beat to death although after about the first month ive managed to lose the bad ones.league i either use a new one or or one in very good shape.unless i have a ball that ive played with for more then 3 matches and am scoring well with that ball barring any major scuffs.same for tourneys.

ChrisR

Jun 22, 2005
Well I tend to lose at least one or 2 a round. So Not very long.:biglol:

caddyshackgolf

Be The Ball
Feb 22, 2005
I just play a ball until I lose it or the cover gets messed up. But I figure if I am hitting well then keep going with it.

🔥 Latest posts