• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How many golf swings do you have?

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
I have 5 different swings. One for woods/hybrids, one for irons, one for chipping, one for pitching and one for putting.
Those different types of shots require a slightly different swing.
Granted, it isnt a major difference, but there is a difference. I could never swing my woods/hybrids the way that I do my irons and get good results.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
As one person here alluded to I think your pal may have 'lost in translation' some meaning.

The mere change of ball position can create the 'illusion' in your mind's eye that you have a different swing. If you put the ball at your left big toe with a driver then indeed you will have a much more sweeping to upper cut club head at impact, but if you take that driver and put it back in the middle of your stance like a 56* then you are going to hit down on it now matter how hard you try and hit it on the upswing. Follow? I guess you can call it a 'different swing', but in reality nothing has changed except for where you position the ball in your setup.

I don't think any reputable PGA teaching professional would advocate having a bag full of different swings. Sure, the short game has a ton of little nuances, but full swings by and large are the same, just adjustments in setup and ball position.

Perhaps everyone looks at it a bit differently, but I 'feel' that all my full shots are identical in swing path, but different in ball position as it progresses down through the short irons from the driver.

awww.steeleraddicts.com_forum_images_smilies_th_thgoodpost.gif

Cray

Jul 21, 2007
I played two weeks ago and had 86 different swings.:laugh:

Seriously, I have two different swings. It depends on if the ball is on a tee or not.

I am a sweeper. So if it is on a tee I tend to sweep the ball. When it is on the ground I tend to hit down on it.

OP
R

rtbrps3383

Jan 19, 2009
Thanks guys for your responses. It has been an interesting discussion. Just goes to show what a great game golf is. Damn drunken scotsmen - grrr. There is more than one way to hit that stupid little ball. My buddy and I think we're almost on the same page, just different terminology. I'll confirm this when he visits in March.
Meanwhile, practice, practice, practice, etc.......

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Well, if you get your irons MOI matched, and then have the lies adjusted appropriately, you can actually have ONE swing for all of them :)

SolderJockey

Oct 31, 2007
Basically two. A full swing for woods and irons, (the sweeping/hitting down
part happens automatically because of shaft length and ball position)and
a half swing knockdown/punch shot for most shots inside 100 yards or
hitting out of the rough.

🔥 Latest posts