• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How Many Long Clubs From the Fairway?

NiftyNiblick

Nov 12, 2008
While most modern sets have only two out of fourteen clubs that aren't in the fairway shot progression--the driver and the putter--my lineup usually includes four non-fairway clubs.

They would be the driver, driving iron, dedicated sand iron, and putter. That leaves only ten approach clubs in the bag, but that's all I need.

The thing is, I've only got two fairway shots left in the bag up above the five iron. It would serve me no purpose to carry more LONG fairway clubs than that, so that opens the door for the shot-specific utilites that I like.

Distance estimates that work well for me with the ten fairway clubs are as follows:

fairway metal.....210 yds
hybrid...............195 yds
5-iron...............180 yds
6-iron...............168 yds
7-iron...............156 yds
8-iron...............144 yds
9-iron...............132 yds
PW...................120 yds
GW...................108 yds
57º W.................96 yds

My drives carry between 225-235 yds, and for many years, those yardages were sufficient to keep me at an 8 or 9. Even at 62, I'm a solid eleven, and with modern equipment, I hit the ball just about as far as I did when I was younger with old fashioned equipment.

I remember (1960s/70s) playing with the old traditional 4-9-and putter set which included a 5-wood/2-iron overlap and only the one wedge--just as most of my friends did. I have no idea what I did with all those long clubs.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.