• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How many strokes.....

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
do you think a good caddie would save you on a round? I think at least 9.

For instance yesterday: On #8, a 355 yard 45* dogleg left par 4, I dribbled my teeshot about 150 yards on the left side of the fairway. I had 200 yards left if I cut the corner. Naturally, I couldn't resist pulling out my 3 wood and hitting a big, beautiful shot that was 1 tree away from being perfect. The ball kicked the wrong way, was lost in Copperhead infested brush, and now I'm lying 4. A good caddie would have checked my line up and I would be on the green in 2, or at most 3.

So naturally, I dropped another ball because I've got this shot and proceeded to hit the same 3 wood into the same tree. This ball dropped straight down and I found it in a bush. Hacked it out with a 7 iron, directly into a fairway bunker. Now lying 6. A good caddie would have hit me up side the head, taken away my 3 wood, and broken it over his knee. Or at the very least, lined me up to the right of that friggin tree.

Hit out of the fairway bunker to near the green, chip & a putt, in for 9 on a par 4. I figure a good caddie would have saved me at least 4 on that hole alone. Add in club selection, accurate distances, and reading the greens, and you've got at least 9!

No wonder the pros shoot so low!!

longiron

May 2, 2005
The pro's are the ones that pull the trigger on shots and so are you. Course management is #1 on the list of thing that are most important to do. Ego should always be checked at the door. A caddie would tell you not to but if you "cant" help yourself the its on you. I do agree with you on distance and greens reading but the rest is up to you. Didn't you see Tin Cup. LOL.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Didn't you see Tin Cup. LOL

One of my favorite movies. :D That's part of my problem.

But I am hoping for a better caddie than Cheech.

Jay McNasty

High Altitude Hacker
Aug 22, 2005
Speaking of Cheech, the only time I've ever had a caddie was when I played with my dad and grandfather at Campestri which is smack dab in the middle of Juarez, Mexico. I don't even remember if they gave us yardages, but they did a damn fine job of walking behind us and swatting at the mosquitoes on our legs with branches they broke off the trees. :D

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Doc I love your honesty about your golf game. I find myself in the same boat at times....alot of times..

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Thanks, mont86. I just can't keep myself from trying the miracle shot sometimes; I have the spirit of Ben Hogan trapped in a hacker's body.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.