• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How much further ??

rhubodach

Feb 13, 2013
Okanagan
Country
Canada Canada
I have a new driver ( and three wood ) in the bag for the upcoming season, I was fitted for them at my local GolfTown.
Winter of course is still upon us but at least one of the driving ranges have opened on weekends.
I was practicing with my buddy and I was hitting the new driver quite well landing the ball around the 200 yard marker.
The balls were last years Top Flight range balls, the balls sit in an outdoor dispenser overnight and temperatures are below freezing.
My buddy said that under different conditions the results in distance would be significant, for example in Summer conditions using my own ball ( Srixon Z-Star ) when the temperatures are around the high 70's to mid 80's I would see an extra 20 yards on my driver.
I'm kind of curious on that, seems like a bit of a stretch anyone ever see any kind of a test ? like cold ball versus warm ball ?

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
United States United States
Most definitely. Your buddy is right. All sorts of conditions will help your carry numbers. Temperature of the ball, density and temperature of the air, the actual ball, etc.

This time of year, especially with newly fitted equipment, I would not worry about carry at all and focus on where you're making contact with the ball (high/low on the face? toe? heel?). Hitting the sweet spot more is the key to distance imo. Try some baby powder or impact tape.

OP
rhubodach

rhubodach

Feb 13, 2013
Okanagan
Country
Canada Canada
Most definitely. Your buddy is right. All sorts of conditions will help your carry numbers. Temperature of the ball, density and temperature of the air, the actual ball, etc.

This time of year, especially with newly fitted equipment, I would not worry about carry at all and focus on where you're making contact with the ball (high/low on the face? toe? heel?). Hitting the sweet spot more is the key to distance imo. Try some baby powder or impact tape.
Yes I agree the contact is the focus point and I'm right on the sweet spot ,,, sure like this new driver and shaft combo I have.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
United States United States
Yes I agree the contact is the focus point and I'm right on the sweet spot ,,, sure like this new driver and shaft combo I have.

Awesome man! Nothing better than a custom fit driver shaft. I just go dumped on with 4" of snow last night... How much longer until your season starts?

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I really feel bad for you guys always posting that you can't get out on the golf course for so long because of winter lol.
Take a holiday to NZ during this time and enjoy the year round playing courses. :p

As for OP. What he said above. Best thing for the extra carry is a humming tailwind haha. Drove consecutive 300m par 4's yesterday. It's a great feeling nailing it.

Spackler33

Oct 1, 2010
The balls were last years Top Flight range balls, the balls sit in an outdoor dispenser overnight and temperatures are below freezing.
My buddy said that under different conditions the results in distance would be significant, for example in Summer conditions using my own ball ( Srixon Z-Star ) when the temperatures are around the high 70's to mid 80's I would see an extra 20 yards on my driver.
I'm kind of curious on that, seems like a bit of a stretch anyone ever see any kind of a test ? like cold ball versus warm ball ?

Sports Science, a show that used to be on FoxSports, went to ESPN and has since disappeared (I can't find it anywhere) did such a study. You should be able to find the video online with a Google or Y! search pretty easy, but the nuts and bolts of it is yes, a cold ball doesn't fly as far as a warm ball.

OP
rhubodach

rhubodach

Feb 13, 2013
Okanagan
Country
Canada Canada
What did you get? What were your before / after numbers?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by before / after numbers ,, I have Cobra AMP ( driver and 3 wood ) new in the bag for this season.
Even with cold Top-Flight range balls these woods felt great, pretty high launch with the driver but I actually like that, it works great on my home course.
The shaft is stock ,, Aldila " Rip " regular flex, I'm gradually becoming very comfortable with this driver.
What did you get? What were your before / after numbers?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I mean did they get you on a monitor to try your old clubs and then try you again with the Cobra gear? Assuming your club head speed, launch angles, spins all improved?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.