• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How much money do you spend on golf?

h3king

Junior Pro
Jun 14, 2007
OK well, this should be fun :laugh:. How much do you spend on golf per year. I would also like to know how much you spent on you clubs, clothes and other golf items.

I myself have a cheap full set of rams, which cost 250 dollars. But in a few weeks i'm going to be ho'ing some new clubs. And I spend around 500 or so a season on balls, green fees and stuff.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Oh gawd.

Green fees, maybe $1000. That includes my Men's Nite fees. This doesn't include the "guys trip" tho. LOL. Or beer on the course. :D

Equipment? Hard to say. Between hoing and selling, I usually come close to breaking even. I don't buy many balls as I don't lose many, so that's minimal too.

I think my biggest expense is when I buy golf bags. We get so hosed up here in Canada, it's not even funny.

Great thread, BTW.

R35

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
If I was to calculate this, I'd throw up.

I'd estimate $600+ on greens fees (great prices in my area. Will take more pictures this year!)

I'm an idiot on equipment. Works isn't enough. Works great isn't enough. I considered getting a 5W I don't need with a diamana BB in it just to see what it was like. Stuuupid. Id say $300+ a year on equipment is an understatement.

Apparel... I'm a woman. If I took a picture of my closet I'd probably get banned for having ovaries. I never seem to have enough shirts, pants, shorts, or anything when I'm out shopping. I'll have to take some pictures of this :)

It really is hard to say... Maybe this year I'll actually keep a ledger. THAT is a good idea. :) Let's make a pact now: keep an accurate ledger or all golf related expenses, including +'s and -'s, starting Jan 01 of this this year. We'll see where we are in December.

Who's with me?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I haven't added it up (which is intentional because if my wife asks, I can plead ignorance and respond with "not sure" or "not that much" but it's easy to get carried away
Even when you find good prices and shop around it adds up - last year I added new irons and wedges, only bought 1 putter, and experimented with only 3 hybrids. that's the big stuff.
I also added a bag, tried some new balls, reshafted a few clubs and started thinking about buying clubmaking tools. this is where it really gets nuts.
You spring for a swingweight scale, hydraulic shaft puller, a swing speed radar and some basic supplies and poof you've spent another $500 and that's before all the shafts, heads, and grips you "need" to try.
I spent $55 on a freaking book about golf clubs. Next thing you know you find yourself trying to rationalize buying a bending machine for $800+ and you take a look at the prices on some of the launch monitors because if you're going to do it, you might as well do it right. Oops - forgot about a frequency analyzer and spine tool - you can put a spine tool together yourself, but the frequency machine will probably cost you -anyway, you get the idea.
Then, you look at greens fees - just playing weekly around here is going to cost me at least $40 x 26? weeks- probably higher and once a week isn't enough to improve so factor in a couple $14 buckets at the range and before I know it I'm looking for a teaching pro
The game can be ridiculously expensive - and you can go out and get beaten by a guy who's playing old clubs and some top flites he found in the woods while helping you find your ball :)
it's a great game - frustrating, expensive, time consuming, etc - but great

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I'm starting a new thread about the ledger. Will have a picture of it there. Here's my closet though, minus the 21 dress shirts I have in a rack on the other side of the room, and the 9 days worth of clothes that I've not yet laundered.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Even though I get an allowance for apparel, I will still spend way too much money on shirts/pants each year. I have been averaging between 20 to 30 shirts (at a discount) over my 12 per year. I will also buy a shirt or something from each course I play when they don't charge me greens fees which is about 80 percent of the time. The county courses around here are run by the county parks commission so there is no break for PGA Pros.

Silver, take your closet and quadruple it and you have a start on mine. My girl doesn't even get a closet in the bedroom, I catch crap for that every day.

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
$828 right now. This doesn't count my membership I technically bought it last year.

Burner Tp, Mizzy mx-560, some balls, Baffler DWS hybrid, TM rac black 52, vs proto shaft, nvs 65 shaft, launch monitor session.

Just over 2 months and I'm almost at a grand. No clothes yet either. Will be updated soon.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Well I'm en route to living up to you in many ways, Tmag. The closet is one I think I might be able to best you on, in time.

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
Yearly membership is 900, probably another 500 on new shoes, hats, shirts, balls, tees, gloves, and new grips each year. Club costs can vary from spending nothing to a complete bag overhaul:wow:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I don't really spend very much on equipment since I sell something to buy the next club. Major expense is in greens fees and range balls. I spend a good $1000 at the range and another $2K on greens fees.

RJTee

Dec 5, 2007
I hadn't added it up until now but since last fall with three sets of irons, 4 drivers, 3 fairway woods, shoes, range balls, and misc accessories; I'm up over $1000 and the season hasn't started yet. Still to come are membership fees, golf vacation in Tennessee this April, and green fees for the rest of the courses I play. I figure it will top $2500.

I am paying for all of this by selling items from my other hobby, collecting vintage stereos, and vinyl records. Also, will be selling off some of the golf equipment that will not be in the bag and other golf items that have been laying around. After all is taken into account, I'll break even on equipment and green fees but will still have membership and misc. costs to cover.

Doesn't matter what hobby it is, if one gets seriously involved It takes serious money.

tn-golfnut-from-nj

Birdie Machine.
Jul 13, 2007
I don't really spend very much on equipment since I sell something to buy the next club. Major expense is in greens fees and range balls. I spend a good $1000 at the range and another $2K on greens fees.

Doesn't the range where you go, has a yearly membership deal?

I pay $350 a year at the range, and hit all the balls that I want.

I know that some ranges limit the amount of balls, with a membership.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Doesn't the range where you go, has a yearly membership deal?

I pay $350 a year at the range, and hit all the balls that I want.

I know that some ranges limit the amount of balls, with a membership.

Unfortunately no. Coins for the large buckets are 4 for $20 but I usually hit all 4 in one session. I found some "deal" at a nearby course but I don't like the range. It's very short and downhill. I like the one I normally use because it's got a huge grass area and they are very liberal. I'll go hit 20-40yd. pitch shots then rehit the balls out into the range with my irons. Plus I can dial in a target with say a PW then just go back for a 9 then back for an 8. I get a good feel for my yardages visually as well as the distance differance for changing trajectory ie: my high cut 8 is actually a few yards shorter than my trap drawn 9.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Memebership - $2500
food and drink allowance at the club - $1000
balls - $400
ho-ing and building clubs - $1200
never getting any better despite spending $5100 a year - priceless

Leek

Jan 23, 2008
Oh man, I don't even want to think about this...

My club bill with charges runs about $12,000 /year
My club ho habit costs about 3-4,000 /year
Lessons- well I travel to see my instructor once per month in season (May-Sept): each trip flight $400, lesson $300 incidentals $50

Assorted stuff- balls, gloves etc, I don't know, maybe $500?

Then there is what I spend on my wife's game.

🔥 Latest posts