• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How Much of It Is Mental?

Fairway_CY

Mar 25, 2008
So... every round I play, I chart what club I use for each shot. Considering that my rounds typically end in the 100-105 range... that can become rather tedious. In any event... I went looking back at my spreadsheet and I noticed that... in the 3 rounds I've played so far this season, I've played 11 par 5 holes. Of those 11 holes, I've managed to score par only once. In fact, it breaks down as follows:

Birdies = 0
Pars = 1
Bogeys = 1
Double Bogeys = 5
Triple Bogeys = 2
Quad Bogeys = 1
+5 or Higher = 1

I've always figured par 5 holes would be easier, giving me a better shot at par because 1 bad shot doesn't really take me out of the hole. Anyway... I've also noticed that on those 11 holes, I've managed to hit only 1 fairway from the tee. That obviously plays a part in my final score on the holes, but I don't understand.

On the courses that I play... the par 5's are all wide open. Big target areas with a lot of room. I tend to miss the fairway... putting it in a bad spot in the rough. Then my 2nd shot (or 4th, depending on if the 1st went OB or in a hazard) will be horrible.

Is it really THAT mental of a game? I hit tight par 4 fairways with ease from the tee much of the time. Is it possible that when I get to a par 5, I tend to overswing, even though my mindset is tempo and ball placement?

On Sunday, the first par 5 I played was just a bad shot w/ a 3 wood. I pulled it left into a trouble area and had to take 2 shots to get it out of the trees. The next... I also pulled it left and had to reload. On the back, though... my tee shot on the 11th, I hit it solidly... but just a bit left of the fairway... about 10 feet into the rough. It was in a bad position, and my 3 iron hybrid went maybe 50 yards. Then I got my 4 iron hybrid just in front of the green. A sand wedge onto the green followed by 3 putts (another problem) gave me a 7. On the 16th, again... I struck the ball well, but it ended up just in the rough on the right. Not a bad, bad position... but my 5 iron only went about 150, leaving me another 150 to the green. My 7 iron found the green and I 2 putted for my only par on a par 5 all year.

Any ideas on what my swing thoughts should be on a par 5? I'm really pretty close to playing a hybrid club off the tee and putting it in the fairway 200 yards out rather than 250-275 yards out. I rarely have a shot at reaching the green, and I typically try to leave myself about 120 in anyway... but for those shorter par 5's... what can I do to relax myself a bit?

Thanks!

CY

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
So... every round I play, I chart what club I use for each shot. Considering that my rounds typically end in the 100-105 range... that can become rather tedious. In any event... I went looking back at my spreadsheet and I noticed that... in the 3 rounds I've played so far this season, I've played 11 par 5 holes. Of those 11 holes, I've managed to score par only once. In fact, it breaks down as follows:

Birdies = 0
Pars = 1
Bogeys = 1
Double Bogeys = 5
Triple Bogeys = 2
Quad Bogeys = 1
+5 or Higher = 1

I've always figured par 5 holes would be easier, giving me a better shot at par because 1 bad shot doesn't really take me out of the hole. Anyway... I've also noticed that on those 11 holes, I've managed to hit only 1 fairway from the tee. That obviously plays a part in my final score on the holes, but I don't understand.

On the courses that I play... the par 5's are all wide open. Big target areas with a lot of room. I tend to miss the fairway... putting it in a bad spot in the rough. Then my 2nd shot (or 4th, depending on if the 1st went OB or in a hazard) will be horrible.

Is it really THAT mental of a game? I hit tight par 4 fairways with ease from the tee much of the time. Is it possible that when I get to a par 5, I tend to overswing, even though my mindset is tempo and ball placement?

On Sunday, the first par 5 I played was just a bad shot w/ a 3 wood. I pulled it left into a trouble area and had to take 2 shots to get it out of the trees. The next... I also pulled it left and had to reload. On the back, though... my tee shot on the 11th, I hit it solidly... but just a bit left of the fairway... about 10 feet into the rough. It was in a bad position, and my 3 iron hybrid went maybe 50 yards. Then I got my 4 iron hybrid just in front of the green. A sand wedge onto the green followed by 3 putts (another problem) gave me a 7. On the 16th, again... I struck the ball well, but it ended up just in the rough on the right. Not a bad, bad position... but my 5 iron only went about 150, leaving me another 150 to the green. My 7 iron found the green and I 2 putted for my only par on a par 5 all year.

Any ideas on what my swing thoughts should be on a par 5? I'm really pretty close to playing a hybrid club off the tee and putting it in the fairway 200 yards out rather than 250-275 yards out. I rarely have a shot at reaching the green, and I typically try to leave myself about 120 in anyway... but for those shorter par 5's... what can I do to relax myself a bit?

Thanks!

CY
One of the most illuminating things I've ever done was play a few consecutive rounds of golf with the following clubs:

4-hybrid
6-iron
8-iron
PW
SW
Putter

I played every par 4 hole like it was a par 5, which meant (and here's the key) that I would play par 4's to get on in 3. That means, 4-hybrid, followed by whichever club gave me the best chance to be hitting my third shot from 100 yards.

You should play par 5's exactly the same way. Your first two shots should serve one, and only one, purpose: To give you the best chance of hitting your third shot from your "comfort yardage." Forget the driver if you're not confident you can hit the fairway 50% of the time with it.

Tee off with the hybrid, hit an iron to the 100-yard marker, wedge on in three, putt for birdie. That's the plan.

Playing with those clubs taught me a lot about course management and the value of playing to your percentages.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
if you can swing relatively well, then it's mostly mental. doesn't matter par 3/4/5.

i have this thing w/ par 3's. i just can't score well because majority of times when i tee off w/ irons in my hand, i consistantly hit the ball w/ hosels. anywhere else, i'm a decent ball striker (at least i think i am :D). all mental..

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I always liked Berra's approach, and would say golf may be the same.

"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."

Actually I may slightly adjust that to 80% mental, and 2/3's physical.
:)

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
One of the most illuminating things I've ever done was play a few consecutive rounds of golf with the following clubs:

4-hybrid
6-iron
8-iron
PW
SW
Putter

I do something very similar as a way to prepare for tournaments that are at courses longer than my home course. I'll leave the Driver and 4wood in the car and have my #3 hybrid as my longest club. Interestingly enough, I'll still shoot about the same score. I have broken 80 a couple of times using 4 iron as my longest club as well. There is something to be said for keeping the ball in play.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Is it really THAT mental of a game?

Is the Pope Catholic? Does a bear $hit in the woods?

"I have broken 80 a couple of times using 4 iron as my longest club as well. There is something to be said for keeping the ball in play."

I've done this a couple of times, not broken 80, but took all the woods out of my bag and played a round 3-LW and putter. I've even beaten my oldest son this way, which infuriated him to no end, :thumbs up:

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
I agree with Eracer. Since you typically shoot 100-105 then bogey is a good score on any hole (same for me). Try playing it as a par 6. Four shots into the green and two putts.

I am not sure how long the par 5's you play are or how far you hit the ball but I would assume you could probably even get there in 3 seven irons and a wedge.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Yogi Berra says this....

"Baseball (golf?) is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."

and my favorite (for all us 'ho's)....

"I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat (club?), and if it keeps up, I change bats (clubs?). After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?"

Lemonhead

Nov 1, 2006
It's a lot mental

Okay, my example. Yesterday I went to walk 9 at the muni. Got a phone call from a client that didn't go well. My head wasn't in the game at all and I played horribly even though lately I've been playing really solid.

The best advice I can give is what I try to remember (and didn't yesterday): Forget about the outcome, only focus on making the current swing the best swing possible. Once the ball leaves the club, there is nothing you can do about it. Then, if the ball goes off line, don't worry about it, go up to it, and commit to making the best swing possible.

I agree with some of the other posters. It sounds like on Par 5's you may be overswinging. I try and just hit a good drive with my normal swing. I know the distance it will go and plan my strategy from there. If I can get on the green in 2, I'll try, if not then I'll lay up to my favorite distance and end up with a chance for birdie.

Something else I do - and others may disagree, but that's okay - is I don't focus on the drive. My experience is that the drive (unless you are O.B. or in some horrible lie) doesn't make or break the hole. It's the 2nd shot that makes or breaks a hole. My drive is to try and put me to a yardage that I like for the 2nd shot.

Now comes the part that people may really disagree. My mental focus is that I'm going to try and make Eagle on every hole where possible (not a sucker pin or trying a hero shot). If I'm in a good position for my 2nd (or 3rd on a Par 5), then I'm going to think about where to land the ball so it will run into the hole. The reason I do this is that I noticed when I thought about just making Par, I made bogey. When I thought Birdie, I made pars and bogeys. When I thought Eagle, I made birdies, pars and just a couple bogeys. The key to this is to know when you have to take your medicine and not try to Mickelson the ball from a horrid lie. If you can't resist trying the hero route, then forget this part. This thinking is agressive, but for me, it works.

Lemonhead

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
its a lot mental....If I hit a few bad shots in a row, I'll get mad,...and then its all down hill from there. If I think about the score, I'll mess up.....

OP
F

Fairway_CY

Mar 25, 2008
Yeah... I did the same thing yesterday. Played 18 at a different course and I had another horrible round. Thing is, I hit the fairway on the 3 par 5 holes. My putting just killed me today.

I had 44 putts. The greens here are tiered, and I was never on the right tier. I had a total of 9 three-putts and I had 1 four-putt. My speed was way off. It was disgusting.

I hit 7 of 14 fairways... but of the 7 fairways that I didn't hit... 1 was a par 4 that I drove the green... 4 either went OB or into a hazard... 1 ended up barely in-bounds and I had to punch a 7-iron back to the fairway... and 1 ended up in the rough to the left of a fairway bunker.

Whether yesterday was mental or not... I don't know. I DO know it was a very, very poor round. For all the time I worry about my swing... I really need to spend a few hours a week on a putting green. I either end up 15 feet short or 25 feet by... every hole.

CY

swingsmooth

Apr 24, 2008
It's mosty mental and the other part is all in your head.....

Eracer's right again... Sounds like almost every tee shot is in the rough. Every shot you're making from there is just to correct the last mistake. Hit a club you're confident with, even if it takes 3 seven irons to get on the green. As your confidence develops so will your game. You're gonna have better results and more fun if you're hitting more fairways and more greens.

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007

4-hybrid
6-iron
8-iron
PW
SW
Putter

I played every par 4 hole like it was a par 5, which meant (and here's the key) that I would play par 4's to get on in 3. That means, 4-hybrid, followed by whichever club gave me the best chance to be hitting my third shot from 100 yards.

You should play par 5's exactly the same way. Your first two shots should serve one, and only one, purpose: To give you the best chance of hitting your third shot from your "comfort yardage." Forget the driver if you're not confident you can hit the fairway 50% of the time with it.

Tee off with the hybrid, hit an iron to the 100-yard marker, wedge on in three, putt for birdie. That's the plan.

Playing with those clubs taught me a lot about course management and the value of playing to your percentages.

that is good advise. If I know that I'll be 20 yards short with my 3 wood, I'll actually choose to hit my 5 wood or 4 iron, depending on how I'm playing. no sense in getting 20 yards short, 20 yards to the right when you can be 50 yards short, with good lie to pitch onto the green, and have a really good setup to put.

mattyboy

May 11, 2008
game management

I don't know about mental but game management is what matters. 1st thing, get a driver that you can find the fairway with. Use only clubs that you hit well. 5's are tough. If I don't get a clean/long 2nd shot w/ my 5 wood I never get there. Practice @ the range to get comfortable & take it to the course.

🔥 Latest posts