• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How much were your first set of golf clubs?

Lee14

Jan 29, 2006
My first set cost me just a tenner. They were dunlops and they were hardly useable. The putter was about as much use as a chocolate teapot and the driver had a steel shaft and a head the size of a golf ball.
Just curious to see how much you paid for yours.

Rynamite

100 handicap and rising
Jan 17, 2006
I got my first set for $40 on ebay. 2-pw, putter, and driver. They were macgregor clubs and really weren't that horrible... but the driver was a joke. They also came with a black and white leather cart bag that was full of misc. balls.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
My first set cost me £200 (about $250 - $275). They're Wilson Gear Effect 1200's : 3-SW, Driver, 3W, 5W, Putter, Bag etc... but I've changed everything in the set except the irons. They're decent clubs, but i'm looking to change soon.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I bought my first starter set of Wilson Sam Sneads for $89 (this was back in 1980) which included a Driver and 3-Wood (persimmon of course) along with a 3, 5, 7, 9 irons and a putter. I also had 2 old Wilson Staff wedges (leather grips) that I had bought second hand at a flea market with a bag of balls for about $10. I later filled in the gaps with some Northwestern mixed clubs that I found at Building 19 1/2 (kind of like a Big Lots or odd lots type store) and had a 2, 4, 6, and 8-iron in the bag (none of which matched with the expection of the 6 and 8.) I got those for about $6 each. Total investment in clubs when it was all set and done was about $123.00 USD.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Scotty01292 said:
My first set cost me £200 (about $250 - $275). They're Wilson Gear Effect 1200's : 3-SW, Driver, 3W, 5W, Putter, Bag etc... but I've changed everything in the set except the irons. They're decent clubs, but i'm looking to change soon.

Man oh man, when I was growing up I wanted the Wilson Gear Effect 1200's in the worst way. They were the first cavity back clubs that I ever saw, and I guess I kind of fell for the marketing aspect of the Gear Effect as well.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
I am on my first set

And while its slowly changing, so far I have $110 invested.
Chinese Driver $30
Adams Tight Lies 4 Wood $5
Adams Tight Lies 7 Wood $5
Wilson Turfrider Hybrids $20
Spaulding PW $3
Hogan Sure Out $3
Knight 60* LW $10
Top-Flite Putter $14
Callaway Big Bertha Bag $20

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
My first complete set was $250. It was a set of Cobra knock-offs. 3-W and 1,3,5 woods. Them buggers lasted me 6 years.

tdaniels

Pro Club Tosser
Nov 6, 2005
Scotty01292 said:

My first set was also Wilson Gear Effects, only difference is that I got mine for $60. Brand new in box, full set. Found them at a Pamida store, similar to Walmart, just smaller. They were on a closeout sale. They lasted me 3 or 4 years. I actually really liked them.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I bought a full set of Wilsons (seems to be a popular first set) from a friend. Don't remember the type, just know they were $300 new in the store and I got them for $100 with a dozen balls and a bag of tees, sold them 6 months later for $100 to another friend when I got my second set after I knew I would continue playing.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Northwesterns from K-Mart, (I'm from North Dakota, we weren't cool enough for a Wal-Mart yet) but best of all I played a Patty Berg driver, I know a ladies driver, but it was a true "wood" and I loved it. I still have my original putter from that set, 16 years ago.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Mizuno MRX Cavity Backs 3-PW: Free, my dad scored them for $10 at a yard sale and I regripped them and cleaned out the grooves.
TaylorMade 360XD: $150 new-Gave it to my dad after a year
Mizuno MP 54* and 60* Black Nickel: $160 still use them
Spaulding Putter- Free, belonged to my great grandfather, when I was putting real bad I turned it around and used it lefty.

Chas

Dec 10, 2005
Sunny Southern California
Country
Free. They were my grandfather's wood shaft clubs, slightly rusting, with leather grips that were coming off. All in the original decaying white canvas bag. Ridiculous. I just played the golf balls I found in the golf bag. They were like rocks with smile marks.

🔥 Latest posts