• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How Not to Be a Parent ( Golf Course Edition )

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
This was the worst behavior I've ever seen... from parents.

My wife, and in-laws, played a twilight round this afternoon. It was packed, but not slow. On 8, I saw a girl behind us in cart... well, to be more precise, she hit over our heads twice with nary an apology. I thought she was by herself, at the time. I also saw her chase a bunch of Canada geese with her cart.

On the 10th and 11th fairways, she was doing doughnuts and figure eights in order to chase and nearly hit a couple dozen geese. This went on for a couple minutes short of the 11th green. We watched from the 12th tee, gobsmacked. Then we couldn't take it anymore, and we went over and yelled at her. At this time, we realized that the 2 walkers behind her in the fairway weren't the next group, they were her parents (!!). The girl, who couldn't have been more than 17 ( not supposed to be driving a cart in the first place ), yelled back right in front of her parents, that "You people are crazy!"

We explained to the parents and the girl that you just can't chase and hit geese with your cart. And even if you could, you aren't supposed to be doing doughnuts in the fairway. The parents just shrugged. We called the pro-shop and they didn't really seem to believe us, but said they'd send someone out. Unfortunately, being twilight on a Sunday, the ranger had long-since gone home. They sent out a couple kids from the groundscrew. The parents lied to them, and said she wasn't chasing them. They did nothing.

On the subsequent holes, she continued literally driving 50 yards out of her way across the fairway to find and chase geese and ducks. On the 14th green, she parked the cart close to our tee, and I should've gone over and taken the key myself. I regret not doing so.

15 goes right back by the clubhouse, so I went in and talked to the guy behind the counter ( 16 tee was backed-up ). I told him the whole story again, and was horrified. He had only heard the report from the kids he sent out, who had been lied to. He agreed she had no business on a golf course, then came out and watched the group on 15. When they saw him, the father jumped in the cart and made his fat little brat walk half a hole.

More of the same as soon as they got away from the clubhouse, now including the lazy girl driving up to 3' off the green. On 17 tee, the groundscrew kids came by, and we talked to them. They told us the lies the parents had told them, but they couldn't really do much.

They slowed down a little on the last couple holes, so I didn't see them again until the cart return area. They had to walk right past me, and I looked the guy in the eye and asked, "Aren't you humiliated to have a daughter behave like that in public?" He didn't have much of a response ( "Just keep going" ), so I asked him to do us all a favor and just keep her off any golf courses.

I have never seen anything like this family. I hope I never do again.

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Oh, I shouldn't have read that tonight.

I'm already wound up enough about inconsiderate people today.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Wow, that's crazy!

My parents would have killed me for that!

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Wow, that's crazy!

My parents would have killed me for that!

No doubt.

My ass would have had dad-belt sized welts the size of a vacuum cleaner hose if I had pulled that.

And mom wore those thin belts, so it would have just sliced my ass right off.

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
Should have teed up a low ball and hit a driver into her forehead. And then you should have shoved a sand wedge up daddies arse.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Should have teed up a low ball and hit a driver into her forehead. And then you should have shoved a sand wedge up daddies arse.

You've obviously never seen David play!

:D

Sorry, cheap shot.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
You've obviously never seen David play!

:D

Sorry, cheap shot.

The last time I aimed a golf ball at an animal, about 20 years ago, I hit a cow right between the eyes on my friend's farm. The cow and I both lived, but I learned my lesson.

It's very tempting to do that, but I was trying not to make a bad situation dangerous. Any sort of phyiscal altercation with my wife around is not going to end well; she has a temper, and is dangerous ( used to run a martial arts school, trains w/ MMA guys now, and boxes with a 2-time Golden Gloves winner for fun ). I box enough to make someone regret starting something but she might put someone in the hospital and/or courtroom. Not good.

I just really wish the course had done something; specifically, tell them to go home and never come back. The frustrating part was really how powerless we were to stop it. Immediately after the groundscrew kids came out to speak with them, she made a big show of driving all over the next hole chasing birds everywhere, because she knew we could see, and it bothered us, and we couldn't do jack. I really should've taken the cart key at that point, and made her walk from the furthest point all the way back to the clubhouse. Maybe that'd have taught her something.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
The frustrating part was really how powerless we were to stop it.

I'm real good about leaving the Blackberry in the car, but this thread makes it very tempting to carry it--or at least a digital camera--in the golf bag.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
One good reason to keep my cell phone with me at all times is the fact that I can shoot video with it.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
One good reason to keep my cell phone with me at all times is the fact that I can shoot video with it.

So can mine... but it doesn't have much of a lens. I would've had to be really close to get anything worthwhile. Although, they probably aren't smart enough to know that, so I could've given it to my mother-in-law, who had just about stopped playing by that point, and let her obviously point it at them for the last few holes. Hadn't thought of that.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Works out great on date nights, doesn't it? ;)

Kid should be banned from the course, period.

🔥 Latest posts