• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How Not to Be a Parent ( Golf Course Edition )

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I was out walking on the course earlier in the summer about the time carts were to be in...so it was late. The tee box for 18 is way up a hill above the fairway and there is a pond in front of the green. I am coming down the hill and see a cart flying around the fairway chasing geese. They fly over onto the green on the other side and this dick goes across the dam and chases them across the green with the cart. I had started jogging by this point and get down to see that this is no kid it is a freakin 40 year old with his pre-teen son. He parked the cart on the green and proceeds to get out and putt out. I had words with the guy and called the clubhouse the next morning...I am sure they did nothing. The best thing that could have happened would have been this idiot drive into the pond and drown. I hate stupid people.

Jason

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I disagree with that in the strongest terms possible. Some people should be banned, but kids are not usually a problem.
If that kid was 17, she knew better. And, based on the story, she WAS a problem.

Frankly, the parents should be banned, as well.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
I disagree with that in the strongest terms possible. Some people should be banned, but kids are not usually a problem.

Thank you! I've got one who's already announced her intention to turn pro. I know better than to advise her on her swing, but I can (and do) drill course etiquette into her.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Kid should be banned from the course, period.

I was hoping you meant that kid not all kids.:)
I did, hence "Kid" being singular.

I have 2 kids very active in golf with a 3rd showing interest, plus I grew up at the local course. Kids in general are not a problem, this specific 17 year old girl is a problem IMHO.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Wow... I'd kill my daughter if she acted like that... and myself for allowing it!

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
I did, hence "Kid" being singular.

I have 2 kids very active in golf with a 3rd showing interest, plus I grew up at the local course. Kids in general are not a problem, this specific 17 year old girl is a problem IMHO.

That was my polite way of telling you some people misunderstood you and those that did that they misunderstood.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
good for you (and all of us) for saying something dave. give yourself a pat on the back

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
Thats horrible. I was playing late one night, a weekday, and it was pretty clear... until I got to the 18th. I saw for 5 minutes and watched as a couple and their two little (4 or 5) kids tried to play 3 holes: one, two (but using the green on 17) and then 18. Two problems: 1) not only could the kids only get the ball 50 yards down the fairway, their parents probably couldn't get it that far 2) we have a course specifically for people like that. Its 3 par 4s and 6 par 3's

I ended up sitting there for 15 minutes until I was able to drive.... then another 10 waiting for them to clear the green. I was at least thankful they had carts and knew the proper way to drive them.... too bad they can't follow the signs for the hole numbers.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Thats horrible. I was playing late one night, a weekday, and it was pretty clear... until I got to the 18th. I saw for 5 minutes and watched as a couple and their two little (4 or 5) kids tried to play 3 holes: one, two (but using the green on 17) and then 18. Two problems: 1) not only could the kids only get the ball 50 yards down the fairway, their parents probably couldn't get it that far 2) we have a course specifically for people like that. Its 3 par 4s and 6 par 3's

I ended up sitting there for 15 minutes until I was able to drive.... then another 10 waiting for them to clear the green. I was at least thankful they had carts and knew the proper way to drive them.... too bad they can't follow the signs for the hole numbers.

When I play with my kid on a "real" course, the rules are easy: she tees up at the 150 yard marker (except for par 3s) and gets 3 putts per green. If that's too slow, we scramble.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Firstly the family mentioned in this thread are not really golfers, that is obvious. But the question of allowing kids on a course is a good one.

I would say that as long as they are shown what to do and observe the correct etiquette then I am all in favor of them playing.

I have recently enjoyed several evenings with my kids playing golf. My eldest is 8 and his brother is 6. We play 4 holes at our 2nd course. Holes 1,2,16 and 18. It usually takes an hour and we go out later in the evening when it is quiet. Playing any more than 4 holes and they lose interest and it takes too long.

I have to hustle them when playing so that they move quickly between shots.
If anyone is behind, we step aside and let them play. We also have to cut in across a few holes. Again if people are playing behind we let them through.

We always play a competition on the last hole. Prizes range from ice cream to pets!!! I always set them a target or a challenge. Generally I try and engineer a draw but on occasion I have been cleaned out.

I have to say I get such joy when I spend this time with them. Trying to show them how to play, ie set-up and then watching them hit a good shot and watching their faces when they get a decent score. But also having to deal with them hitting bad shots and losing their temper. Ah, it's great stuff.

I also try and show them some etiquette. Interestingly the both play off the men's markers. Even though I suggested that they play off the ladies (we have no junior tees) they insist on playing the same tees as me.

I can see them both becoming great golfers. My 8 year old can easily reach 350 yard holes now in 3, providing he makes decent contact. The 6 year old only its it about 75 yards, but he NEVER misses. He also has developed a decent short game. Both of them have now scored a few pars over the Summer.

Sad now that Winter approaches and we lose the light to do this in the evening after work / school. I hope that they remember these times at some point in their future when I am dead and gone.

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
We always play a competition on the last hole. Prizes range from ice cream to pets!!! I always set them a target or a challenge. Generally I try and engineer a draw but on occasion I have been cleaned out.

Cheapo. I hope they see this. Go get a fatter wallet.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.