• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

"How sweet it is"? (extra credit for knowing the source of the quote)

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Yesterday while playing Hickory Knob, I absolutely pured 1 tee shot with my driver. I measured it with my laser rangefinder: 278 yards, all carry, no roll. It was a little bit of a pull, so it landed in the left rough on the side of a hill for a hanging lie 2nd shot..... :(

Anyway, it got me to thinking: if I'm lucky, I hit an absolutely pure tee shot maybe once a round. Is that what hitting in the sweet spot does? Make it go effortlessly, high, straight, and above all long? Is that one of the big differences between a good player and a hacker like me, the ability to hit the sweet spot most of the time, and for the pros, 99% of the time?

Must get boring playing from the short grass all the time. :)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I wrote a post about playing with a woman last summer who is the mother of one of my daughter's friends. She is a housewife who plays 2-3 times a week.

The woman hit EVERY fairway. It got utterly boring to watch. (Glad we weren't betting as I would have had my wallet completely emptied).

And her shots weren't little dribblers. She would solidly launch it about 190-205 time after time. Good trajectory - the whole nine yards.

It was the only round I ever saw a player hit all of the fairways. She couldn't miss!!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I saw a close up of Vijay Singh's driver once. The sweet spot was absolutely worn right out on his Launcher. It was pretty amazing.

But I guess if you get paid to play golf, practice wouldn't be something you'd do when you had time, it would be WHAT you do.

Give me 40 hours of practice time a week, I'd get dialed in too. So would anyone. Practice makes better.

My favorite thing to see is a tee mark on the toe of a driver, expecially a 460cc. That just makes me laugh. When you look at that thing, you'd have to be at least 4" off center to make that mark.

Can you imagine seeing a stripe on Vijay, Tiger or Freddy Funk's driver? :biglol:

"I was outta my shoes on that one, Stevie."

R35

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
you'd have to be at least 4" off center to make that mark.

I coulda swore that with one of my tee shots yesterday that I hit the ball with the sole of the driver. :)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Nothing like catching the sweet spot. I've noticed it big time in my new irons. I flew the green from 153 with my 8i the other day on a par 3. That is also the reason I hit my 3W and 5W off the tee a lot more. My 3W on the spot goes further than my driver off center. It is also a lot easier to hit that spot and far more accurate. Once I go back to the 6500+ yd. course I'm going to need the driver though.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
SiberianDVM said:
I coulda swore that with one of my tee shots yesterday that I hit the ball with the sole of the driver. :)

That's sweet.

Best shot I ever saw was a guy that did just that to only have the ball come up and hit him in the nuts.

That was the greatest day of all time. Even better than the day I found $10in my spring jacket.

R35

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
SiberianDVM said:
Yesterday while playing Hickory Knob, I absolutely pured 1 tee shot with my driver. I measured it with my laser rangefinder: 278 yards, all carry, no roll. It was a little bit of a pull, so it landed in the left rough on the side of a hill for a hanging lie 2nd shot..... :(

Anyway, it got me to thinking: if I'm lucky, I hit an absolutely pure tee shot maybe once a round. Is that what hitting in the sweet spot does? Make it go effortlessly, high, straight, and above all long? Is that one of the big differences between a good player and a hacker like me, the ability to hit the sweet spot most of the time, and for the pros, 99% of the time?

Must get boring playing from the short grass all the time. :)

Did anybody get the quote yet? Jackie Gleason...The honeymooners...

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Good job. :) I was beginning to think nobody cared. Wasn't Jackie a golfer? Or maybe I just remember him in that golfing outfit on The Honeymooners.
Gleason.jpg

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I couldn't believe I was the first to answer I actually felt smart. :) And yes I do believe he was an avid golfer and partier..

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
SiberianDVM said:
Good job. :) I was beginning to think nobody cared. Wasn't Jackie a golfer? Or maybe I just remember him in that golfing outfit on The Honeymooners.
See, I would have guessed Marvin Gaye or James Taylor. Written by the Holland, Dozier of Motown

Matthew_22

Mar 31, 2006
Definitely being able to hit the sweet spot consistently will help your game A LOT.

I most comonnly hit the sweetspot when I slow my swing down, and the ball actually travels further than if I tried to smash it. Plus there's few better feelings than getting the ball to ricochet off the club like that.

🔥 Latest posts