• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to break 90

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'd love to say I'd rather be working but... nahhh!! One of these days I'll have to find a real job but in the meantime I live poorly, play lots of golf. I might actually have to quit smoking soon to afford greens fees.
icon10.gif
Which is a shame since lung cancer was my retirement plan.

I've been trying to quit smoking in order to afford golf whatever. Only one problem... I love smoking while walking from the tee box to my ball. Lately though i've been alternating smoking and chewing. I like chewing cause I don't have to put down my cig. to hit.

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
Well a block is simply when a ball goes right that I try to hit straight and a pull is a ball that goes left. This is a "two-way miss". It happens when the club gets inside and stuck. If you just swing, it blocks right, if you try to save it, you usually pull it. If you don't know why you missed shot, how will you ever get better?

Bingo. Here I thought I had to fix a slice and after learning more about the game I realized I'm hitting blocked shots. Dead nuts straight only 30 yds right. Narrowed up my stance helped out tremendously, now I'm working on starting the downswing from the ground up instead of top down.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Yeah, I'm not crazy about playing those greens but it's a good course. I get on as a resident for $22.50 and it's one of the better public courses around. I actually think it's better than the private club my boss belongs to. I'll be there again tomorrow.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
The last two courses Ive played had aerated greens... Nothing bothers me more than a severe downhill putt being left short because of aeration, or to have a straight putt be bumped off line. Next time Ill just give myself a two putt max.

muzz

Apr 8, 2009
Aerated greens blow, I get pissed when I go to a course, and they don't tell you in advance (SOME warning) that they just made the greens about as lousy as having a bunch of midgets doing a river dance right before you putt...
Unforgivable.....

Olde Scotland Links is Aerating on the 20th or 21st, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that I won't golf there for a month...it's like flushing your $ down the toilet.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've been practicing with my 60* on them. Try to one hop it in the hole on every chip. Got one so far.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I ended up playing at Fenner Hill today with 2fast2's. It was a beautiful day but pretty windy. Probably around 20mph. as it was bending flagsticks and I reached 590 in 2 downwind, lol. I was actually pin high on the cart path for the next teebox. Had a 20yd. pitch, 20ft. elevated green and sloping away. In other words, I got to chip again from the other side of the green.

Pretty good day and I didn't try to work the ball much. I hit a few cuts but mostly straight. Driver was going pretty well, hitting 7 fairways and misses not too bad. I only hit 5 GIR but the misses were not bad. 28 putts tells that story I guess.

I'm getting pretty good with the 60* and it was very useful at this course. The greens are elevated, fast and undulating. I had some good chips that I flew a bit more than usual to take ridges/spines out of play. On the back I had 5/6 up and downs. Unfortunately my 83 knocked off an 82 from the blues last year at Triggs and my cap didn't get under 9... yet. Plus the stupid Golfchannel handicap tracker has the wrong slope ratings. I've been playing Triggs off the whites and they have it at 124, supposed to be 126. Also Fenner is 134 and they have it at 131.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
Ezra, you have to stop the extra shots in your rounds, so you can break 80. You hit 5 greens and had 28 putts. That looks like you should be 5 over or a 77 on a par 72. But you took an extra 6 shots somewhere in your round. That is just killing you. You have to get that down to 1 or 2, 3 at the most. Then you will get that cap down.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Ezra, you have to stop the extra shots in your rounds, so you can break 80. You hit 5 greens and had 28 putts. That looks like you should be 5 over or a 77 on a par 72. But you took an extra 6 shots somewhere in your round. That is just killing you. You have to get that down to 1 or 2, 3 at the most. Then you will get that cap down.

Yeah, I had a few miscues for sure. Bookend doubles and 2 bunkers I didn't get up and down from. Also took bogies on the 2 shortest par 4's. Chunked a SW from a sidehill lie and the other I had to just punch it sideway 6inches off a stone wall and under a briar bush. In retrospect I should have hit my hybrid off the tee on both. Had a 3putt bogey on a 5 as well.

It was good to get on some nice greens though. They were slower than they will be in a few months but true.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
What fun are hitting hybrids off the tee. You will get there. Just get yourself on the green so you have a putt for a par.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Lol. Well the 1st one is 325 downhill and the wind was very strong into us. There is a pond in front of the green so I play it left of the green to avoid ever having to hit a ball over the pond. I just yanked it left. No excuse on that hole really, just a chunky wedge. The other one is 315 downhill dogleg left. I usually hit a 5W and a SW but the wind was strong with us and I hit it too long into the stone wall. I'm going to play that one different next time as I could hit 5 or 6i right on the 100 marker and have the flattest lie. Don't ask me why I hit 5W and leave myself a 45yd. shot off a sideslope at best.

I hit my worst drive of the day on the par 4 18th (they make you pay for the short ones here). 455 uphill into the wind. I usually hit 3W but felt I needed driver. I pulled it bad up into a terrible spot. I actually got it over a waste area with my 3W but barely. I had briar bushes impeding my backswing and had to just chip it out for a fuller shot.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
I have one shorty par 4 on my home course. It plays 340. I has two traps on the left side of the fairway. The hole also bends to the left. On a good day I cut some distance off the hole by hitting over the traps. Here is the kicker if you do that or even if you hit a solid driver down the middle or right side you end up with a downhill lie in the fairway or rough as the fairway ends. It leaves you with a shot that is about 45-65 yards to an elevated green. You will never drive the green because of the elevation and rough and sand trap by the green. The real kicker is when they put the pin in the front of the green you have no chance to land the ball on the green and stop it at the pin from the downhill lie in the rough or fairway.

I don't know why but I hit a driver on that hole most of the time. It just makes no sense to hit a driver there. I end up being better off when I don't catch all of my driver and am left with a 80-100 flat lie shot.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online