• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to break 90

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Back under today. I finished just in time as it started pouring while I hit my final bunker shot and then a quick 2 putt bogey. Putting still stank with 36 and only 6 greens. Again, off the tee not too bad. Played pretty agressively with driver on 12 of 14 holes and hit 8 fairways (all with the driver too). Hopefully I'll be able to capitalize on it sometime. My irons are kind of pully/blocky/chunky and I've been leaving myself some tough putts. Oh, 43 + 43.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Back to myself again today. Windy and very wet out there. I managed 8GIR, 33 putts for a 9par/9bog 81. I had to to bogey the last hole as I'd have shot 80 with par. I missed a literally 2ft. putt earlier in the round and that would have really pissed me off to have that be the dealbreaker. I hit a perfect 5i hold cut to 2ft. from 165 on that hole. Probably one of the most perfectly struck and ballflight shots I've ever hit.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I almost broke 90 from the wrong direction the other day! :(

I did the other day and it was a good thing. Without a poor round now and then, how would I know where to focus my practice and get the motivation to do so. I look at a +90 round like a pro puking up a 76-77. They do it all the time.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I did the other day and it was a good thing. Without a poor round now and then, how would I know where to focus my practice and get the motivation to do so. I look at a +90 round like a pro puking up a 76-77. They do it all the time.

Or even more to the point, without a bad round now and then how would you know what a good round is? :biglol:

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Or even more to the point, without a bad round now and then how would you know what a good round is? :biglol:

Par is Par. I'm not stopping till I break it.
icon12.gif

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
I think you guys have some pretty well established ideas on how to break 90.Now answer me this. My handicapp is 9 my lowest score 80 and I have shot that at least 10 times..how do u get under that? 79 IS A WHITE WHALE imo.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I think you guys have some pretty well established ideas on how to break 90.Now answer me this. My handicapp is 9 my lowest score 80 and I have shot that at least 10 times..how do u get under that? 79 IS A WHITE WHALE imo.

That's definitely a harder milestone than 90. When I broke 80 the first time I shot what is still my lifetime low score of 73. I haven't matched it since, and that was almost 20 years ago. I've broken 80 many times, but never matched that first one. Still looking for my first sub-80 round this year.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006

Same here and I'm also going to be at 9 as of next revision. Do you track stats? I use the Golf Channel stat tracking (pay for it) and that tells me what I need to improve on to get to the next down #, even gives instructional videos on the areas. My GIR just got to avg. for my cap and my putting has been for a while. It's my up and down % that has to get better. I'm basically at the point where 1 less GIR putt and 1 more missed green par save will have me under 80.

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
Well I don't use anything scientific for stats.I keep em logged in my head round to round though.My handicapp is actually 8.6 but that matters none when it somes to tourneys and such.Its hard to really pin point where I lose strokes though.Might be mostly mental.For instance in 18 holes i have never gone 40-40 its been things like 36-44, 46-34,37-43, all sorts of variations of that and have been under par in 9 holes several times ,lowest being 32.ALWAYS shit on myself though..mental? I actually was on 18 once with a putt for 77...hahaha made an 80 that day.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Well I don't use anything scientific for stats.I keep em logged in my head round to round though.My handicapp is actually 8.6 but that matters none when it somes to tourneys and such.Its hard to really pin point where I lose strokes though.Might be mostly mental.For instance in 18 holes i have never gone 40-40 its been things like 36-44, 46-34,37-43, all sorts of variations of that and have been under par in 9 holes several times ,lowest being 32.ALWAYS shit on myself though..mental? I actually was on 18 once with a putt for 77...hahaha made an 80 that day.

That sounds mental. Do you make a big deal out of it? I've broken 80 before on an easy course, a few times actually. I'd like to do it at the harder courses I play but try not to make such a big deal out of it. 79 is not really my goal, 71 (on 72) is. So when I break 80, it's not going to be much of a milestone, I've done it before. It'll just be one less bogey towards even to me.

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
Well no I don't care A whoke lot either way.I more just enjoy hitting the ball.Just a lil frustrating when it doesnt happen.I have broken 80 on low slope rated courses,so i dont count em.No breaking putts and such,shot par 5's.Things like that.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.