• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to deal with "welchers"?

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
Nope. A lost ball and unplayable lie are treated differently.

A lost ball penalty is a stroke and distance (just like OB). Therefore, if I hit a stray tee shot and can't find it, I must go back to the tee laying two (One in, one out). As Rock stated, hit the provisional before you go to search for your errant tee shot in case you can't find it. That way you don't have to go all the way back to the tee to rehit.

An unplayable lie is a stroke penalty, but no loss in distance. If you consider a ball unplayable (your discretion), you have one of three options:

- Play a ball as close as possible to the spot where the original was played
- Drop a ball within two club lengths of the spot where the unplayable ball lay but no nearer the hole
- Drop a ball on a line running from the hole through the spot where the unplayable ball lay as far back as you like

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Anytime you find your ball, you can declare it unplayable, unless it's in a hazard or OB. If it's OB, you need to go back and retee, OR if you played a provisional ball thinking your 1st ball would be OB, then you go play your provisional ball, hitting your 4th shot.

If the ball is found in a hazard, then the rules governing the hazard supercede the "unplayable lie" rule.

So, if your ball is NOT OB and NOT in a hazard, thus somewhere on the course, you can declare an unplayable lie.

Options:
Take a penalty and walk back to the tee-box and re-tee hitting 3 from the tee. If you have already hit a PROVISIONAL ball, and find your first ball in play, not OB, then take the unplayable lie(i.e. too many trees to shoot through) you CANNOT take that provisional ball, you have to RE-TEE hitting 3. (or go back to the spot of the previous shot if it wasn't a tee shot)

Move the ball, under penalty of one stroke, and drop it within 2 club lengths (either side of it) not closer to the hole. This is just like a lateral water hazard.

Lastly, mark the spot the ball is unplayable and pick up the ball under penalty of one stroke. Then line up that spot with the flagstick and you can go BACKWARDS (away from the hole) "infinitely" and take your drop anywhere on that line keeping your drop in line with the unplayable spot and the flagstick. This is just like a normal water hazard.

I hope that clears the unplayable lie up for you. The unplayable lie is your friend as it gives you the option of going to the previous spot, moving it over just a bit without losing any distance, AND going backwards like on a water hazard.

damn it. buddha beat me to it.:)

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
Augster said:
The unplayable lie is your friend as it gives you the option of going to the previous spot, moving it over just a bit without losing any distance, AND going backwards like on a water hazard.

Yeah, keep this in mind when you have that horrid lie underneath a bush or tree. If you're gonna have trouble getting the ball back in play or leaving yourself a decent next shot, you might as well declare it unplayable and save yourself the stress.

I don't know how many times I've tried to hit out of crap only to duff it 3 feet and still be in the same sh--, but laying one more. I've learned to just take my lumps (one stroke) and position the ball so I can get a decent swing on it.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
buddha33 said:
Hey, at least I'm not like The master and beating off guys.

Hey Guys
Notice that The Master has not pitched in on this thread, eh?? Eh???

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
Hey Guys
Notice that The Master has not pitched in on this thread, eh?? Eh???
The Master actually won that one, didn't you know? If you calculate your scores by a divisor of the difference of your ages, and then subtract the amount of $ his dad spent on gas from HIS score, he is clearly the winner. So, where is his turkey IG? Huh? Effin welcher....

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
bdcrowe said:
The Master actually won that one, didn't you know? If you calculate your scores by a divisor of the difference of your ages, and then subtract the amount of $ his dad spent on gas from HIS score, he is clearly the winner. So, where is his turkey IG? Huh? Effin welcher....

BD,

You didn't carry the one. IG still has the upper hand. 6-5. At least that's what I get with your "new math".

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.