• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to tell someone you don't to play with them?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Got off work today & my wife met me. We hit The Meadows Of Sixmile Creek in Waunakee for 18. I was playing she just wanted to ride along. Played the back 9 1st as a single since the course wan't very busy at all. At the turn we went in & had lunch, came back out about 45 minutes later. Finished up with the 3rd hole & was waiting on a foursome in front of me, I wasn't in a hurry since I had nothing but time. Anyways there was a 4some behind me but only 3 were playing. They must have been driving their carts full throttle & in a race to finish the rd in 45 minutes or something.

As I am just about ready to tee off on the 4th, one of the guys who also had his non playing wife along starts yelling over at me, asking me if I was playing as a single. I tell him yes but I like it that way. He says he will be right over so we can play together. I say sure thing, so I wait. He comes over finally & asks if my wife is playing, I tell him no. So then he starts yelling back at the other couple who is still on the 3rd green to hurry up & come play with us so we can all play as a 4some. They tell him, "no thanks" but he keeps insisting & now they are just ignoring him.

I tee off & he follows suit, meantime the other couple is just hitting balls back & forth on the green avoiding this guy so I know somethings up. We finish up the hole & move on to a 518 yd par 5, this guy puts his tee shot so far right it's in another zip code. I muff my tee shot but it's playable. he tees up another & puts it in the water then goes to find his 1st ball. Finds it them puts that one in the water as well as a 3rd ball. By now I am so damn worked up from just watching this asshat, that I can't concentrate & my game started deterioting quickly.

Finally after what felt like forever we finish the hole & move on, same fricking tee box experience were he has balls going 2 holes to the right & I am so pissed I can't see straight & top my tee shot. I walk down to get my ball & his wife tells my wife "wow, they are both playing pretty crappy". My wife tells her "he was doing pretty good until you guys came along". This woman got so pissed off she screamed at her husband "they are blaming us for him playing like shit!". They both got in their cart without another word & quite literally left the course. Funny thing is, I finsihed up the hole, calmed down & my game came right back, was able to put drives down the middle, hit GIR, etc.

I decided to ask the couple behind me what was up with them, so waited on the 7th tee box. The husbad told me the guy insisted on the 1st hole they play as a 3some even though he just wanted to play as a twosome with his wife. The clown wouldn't take no for an answer & pretty much forced himself upon them.

I have never had to deal with something like this on the course before & next time I will simply say "no thank you, I am playing alone". How would you have dealt with it?

Sorry for the long drawn out post but this couple really got me quite pissed off.

loftgolf

noob no more!
Jun 13, 2008
I am certaily NOT suggesting this but personally I'd of shot him!
:killersmiley:Stupid joiner guy!

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
just tell them that you're dealing with a family bereavement - and needed to spend some time outside with your wife to help get over it.... :)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Or tell him that you and your wife are discussing your upcoming divorce... or that you and your girlfriend are discussing your wife. :)

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'd flat out say I wanted to play alone.

If the course isn't crowded and it's on a weekday, I'd say go right ahead.

There are plenty of times I tell people I don't want to play. I tell them I'm playing two balls, or just practicing and not playing a real round. Many decline after that..

Hell, sometimes the dickheads in the clubhouse want to pair me with some asshats.. I decline that offer sometimes too. Or I just shut up and go out with them and when I get to the 1st tee box, I tell the guys they can go ahead of me, I'll be slow and around the back I might skip a hole and pass them. I don't mind meeting new people, but getting paired with some wierdo just ruins my round, and I wont have that. I got stuck with some guy that looked like he just got outta prison. He said he was a 14 HC, and had played for 3 years.. I told him I had played 4 months, and was a 18.. He sucked really bad, and took 1 hour longer than normal for me to play, because he had 2 drives every hole, and 3 putts every hole, everything in the middle was a blur to me.

If I was with someone pushy like that, I'd lose it. I'd honestly, just let him tee off first, and then take off in my cart, and tell him I'm gonna go ahead to the next hole, since I need to get home quick.

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
Why BS the guy. . ."I'd rather play alone, you're more than welcome to play thru if you like." I've not run into a similar situation to this one yet. I have had people say exactly that though, "no thanks, I'd rather play alone, get some practice in."

I will say this Wi-, I also get a little frustrated and play worse when grouped when someone of similar playing ability to this guy. Or maybe they just lack respect for other golfers or the course. I played along with a couple people early in the summer. Once the son (who was a college grad I'll add) figured out that the pines had a golf ball or two in them, he had to stop and check E V E R Y damn pine tree for a ball. These people were far from poor, he was going to grad school. Finally I said to the dad, "Does your son need some golf balls? I have plenty." Dad finally figured out what was going on and told the son to stay out of the frickin pines!

Some people only think of themselves. I see it all the time, not necessarily on the golf course, but I see it. I can't believe the woman that was with him had a hissyfit like that--crazy.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
I like anybody that uses the word "asshat". Looking forward to the WI outing at Silver Spring.

"asshat". Classic. LOL.

Kevin

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I tried to be polite but I see what that got me. From now on I will simply say "no". Really was hilarious hearing that guys wife get all pissed off & start screaming though. She was treated like the guys real crummy caddy. She would stand right behind him on the tee box so she could tell him his ball went way way way right. Then if he was near the green with a wedge he would tell her...not ask her...to bring his putter to him.

If this had been my 1st time on a course, I think I would have probably sold the clubs & quit since I wouldn't want to be associated with golfing psychotics.

Victory

Nov 18, 2007
thank you for the offer but i am working on a few swing changes and want to hit a few balls on each shot. maybe..

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
I dont bullshit or anything with people....I would of basically said..."Dude you are terrible to golf with and I am going off alone"...Especially if I got to the point that you did with the whole being pissed and such...I could not of been pleasant or full of etiquate

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I dont bullshit or anything with people....I would of basically said..."Dude you are terrible to golf with and I am going off alone"...Especially if I got to the point that you did with the whole being pissed and such...I could not of been pleasant or full of etiquate

We had only played 2 full holes together & I was going to tell him to take a hike, but his ole lady got pissed & they stormed off the course before I got my chance........sweet deal.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I usually play alone since I got out of prison. I just dont feel confident in my abilty to control my temper yet. You're welcome to join me, but I would advise against it, especially if you dont have a vest on, or at least good helmet.

🔥 Latest posts