• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How would you play this shot?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I can hit a 6 iron from 100 yards to 10/12 feet practically all day long if there is an opening in front of the green. Imagination is the key. Of course, you have to have time to practice these types of shots so you know how.

Learning this this year has made the game so much more fun. Last round I played, the course had an island par 3. I usually dread this hole, and it was in a 20-25 mph wind. It is only 120 yards, but I hit an 8 iron (my 150 club). I hit it exactly where I aimed it, with a swing that never seemed to get higher than my knees. Good stuff. My friend hit an almost full shot, and guess what? Yep, splashy splashy.

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
That's the shot as far as I'm concerned. Some sort of long chip shot. Too many people assume that you have to fly the ball all the way back there. You don't. I can hit a 6 iron from 100 yards to 10/12 feet practically all day long if there is an opening in front of the green. Imagination is the key. Of course, you have to have time to practice these types of shots so you know how.
Thats a key way to be a worse golfer, there is a reason tour players don't hit 7 or 6 irons when they should be hitting a pw or 9 iron.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Ok, here is what happened to me the other day. I hit a 4 iron that landed on dry land, but just barely, right by the green. maybe 15 feet from the front edge of the green, 25 feet from the pin. I had 3 choices, one was take off my right shoe and stand in muddy snake infested water and make a normal shot, 2 keep both feet on dry land and attempt a awkward shot with my 60º, or 3 take a drop and a penalty stroke. I opted for number 2 but with terrible results. Is there a way to make that shot? The ball was good 4-6 inches behind my right foot.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Ok, here is what happened to me the other day. I hit a 4 iron that landed on dry land, but just barely, right by the green. maybe 15 feet from the front edge of the green, 25 feet from the pin. I had 3 choices, one was take off my right shoe and stand in muddy snake infested water and make a normal shot, 2 keep both feet on dry land and attempt a awkward shot with my 60º, or 3 take a drop and a penalty stroke. I opted for number 2 but with terrible results. Is there a way to make that shot? The ball was good 4-6 inches behind my right foot.

Narrow your stance in such a way that your feet are basically touching. Your rotation usually ends up anchored with the left leg in the downswing, get the ball as close to the left foot as possible.

................o
........|L||R|

As opposed to

................o
|L|........|R|

It's an ugly shot to have to take, either way. In that situation, weigh your options carefully and know what you have to do. I'd say you should expect a steep, mostly arms swing on this to keep the clubface anywhere near square to your target line. Also expect it to stay low. You're basically guaranteed to deloft the clubface about 4 clubs worth if it's 4 inches behind your right foot. Maybe more.

See the shot. I have hit the green with a 3 iron from 110 yards out from under trees. Just gotta feel the shot.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Thats a key way to be a worse golfer, there is a reason tour players don't hit 7 or 6 irons when they should be hitting a pw or 9 iron.
Ever seen true seaside links golf on a windy day? Our European brothers can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking there's a lot more low running shots played than high flyers.

I agree with gwlee, especially the part about practicing the shots.

One of my favorite clubs around the green is my 7 iron...chip and a putt!

Irish

May 9, 2007

i can't agree with that statement....pros play to the conditions..if its a point and shoot course they'll hit the pw but if there's a swirling breeze they can hit a huge variety of shots, knockkdowns..low runners etc...esp in the scenario listed where you've got free run up to the green...

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Its a knock down shot, played forward to reduce spin, and a club more to also further reduce spin, I want the ball to release, so you play it forward to encourage you not to hit down and the club more to also help you swing slower, to also reduce spin

from 90 yards I would consider the 9 iron. Keeping the spin off and keeping the ball is crucial

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
Pros play knock downs all the time

Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac

They are just longer/higher than the average golf so it seems like they are playing full shots. I think the knock down shot is a must for a GREAT golfer.

JasonMacIsaac, you are a 1.7 handicap and don't play this shot? You could be a -5!

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Ever seen true seaside links golf on a windy day? Our European brothers can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking there's a lot more low running shots played than high flyers.
Correct. Wind cant get at the ball if its skipping along the ground.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Why wouldn't a cantaloupe of pine needles be a loose impediment ( and removeable )?

He said the ball rested against them... it probably would move if he tried to do anything with the pine needles. IMO, if the ball is unplayable, then it's unplayable. You take your drop and get on with it.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
He said the ball rested against them... it probably would move if he tried to do anything with the pine needles. IMO, if the ball is unplayable, then it's unplayable. You take your drop and get on with it.
That was indeed the situation. Trying to remove the needles would have caused the ball to move. Thus, I had two options:

Plan A. Proceed under the unplayable lie rule.
Plan B. Play it like an explosion shot - smash my wedge into the back of the pile of needles, propelling it and the ball onto the green.

Plan B worked like a charm.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Rule of thumb:

Hitting to an uphill green where the PIN cannot be seen...aim for the middle and ten feet above the gree horizon.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
I have a similar shot

#15 a long uphill par 4.

the second shot is usually a blind shot to the green but you can see the flag from the tee box. I have been trying to focus on a tree behind the pin from the tee box. I have ended up in the right bunker a lot.

I am usually walking so I don't have the luxury of walking to the top of the hill to see the pin and then back to my drive due to time.

anyone have a suggestion for aim on a shot like this?

🔥 Latest posts