• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How would you play this shot?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
#15 a long uphill par 4.

the second shot is usually a blind shot to the green but you can see the flag from the tee box. I have been trying to focus on a tree behind the pin from the tee box. I have ended up in the right bunker a lot.

I am usually walking so I don't have the luxury of walking to the top of the hill to see the pin and then back to my drive due to time.

anyone have a suggestion for aim on a shot like this?
Based on what's in bold, I'd say the first step is picking a spot left of the tree. Also, when walking to your ball, try to find a point where you can still see the pin that's in line with your ball and the pin. Then pick something to aim at based on that line.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
#15 a long uphill par 4.

the second shot is usually a blind shot to the green but you can see the flag from the tee box. I have been trying to focus on a tree behind the pin from the tee box. I have ended up in the right bunker a lot.

I am usually walking so I don't have the luxury of walking to the top of the hill to see the pin and then back to my drive due to time.

Ask the course to use a taller flagstick on that hole. I play several courses here in Colorado where you would face the same situation on certain holes if they didn't use an extra tall flagstick for that hole. I've seen a 10 foot pole before on one hole. That is about the only real solution... having to play to an invisible flag is a sign of a very poor course design or setup.

That or you are not playing the hole as designed... is it possible to see the flag from anywhere else on the fairway? Meaning if you play a shorter tee shot, will the flag be visible? If not, then I stand by my first assessment, just a poorly designed hole.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Ask the course to use a taller flagstick on that hole.
Like this one?

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t135_eracer1111_Scotland_202006_Cruden_20Bay_IMG_2317.jpg

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Is that about a par 13? I hope that photo isn't taken from the angle that the hole is played from.
It is. Vicious par 4 hole on a course full of blind shots. They always had marker flags that showed you the aim point. Didn't help. I think I made a 12 on this one.
icon12.gif

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
There has to be a word worse than vicious...cuz vicious doesnt even begin to describet that particular hole....dang...
Add to that the wind - which was blowing a steady 40mph ALL DAY LONG. My ball actually blew off of a green, and it wasn't downhill...

I carded a 126 that day, and that was with some serious cheating (lost balls taken as lateral drops.)

It really wasn't golf - it was a test of will.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
Ask the course to use a taller flagstick on that hole. I play several courses here in Colorado where you would face the same situation on certain holes if they didn't use an extra tall flagstick for that hole. I've seen a 10 foot pole before on one hole. That is about the only real solution... having to play to an invisible flag is a sign of a very poor course design or setup.

<!-- google_ad_section_end --> That or you are not playing the hole as designed... is it possible to see the flag from anywhere else on the fairway? Meaning if you play a shorter tee shot, will the flag be visible? If not, then I stand by my first assessment, just a poorly designed hole.

There isn't anywhere to drive the ball to be in better position besides longer :) The pin is invisible from all angles. There is a flag they put at the crest of the hill for aim but it seems this would only be useful if you were in the dead center of the FW.

Irish

May 9, 2007
Like this one?

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t135_eracer1111_Scotland_202006_Cruden_20Bay_IMG_2317.jpg

was this in scotland...we have loads of completely blind tee and shots to the green on any of the local links courses....in interclub matches that's what a home advantage is for :)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
was this in scotland...we have loads of completely blind tee and shots to the green on any of the local links courses....in interclub matches that's what a home advantage is for :)
Cruden Bay

jackerman

Apr 30, 2008
#15 a long uphill par 4.

trumb1mj

Well this might not be the shot you are looking for but let me put my Ken Venturi hat on and say hit it to the middle of the green. I know this is not an aggressive move but usally a safe one. Two put and get out.

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
They are just longer/higher than the average golf so it seems like they are playing full shots. I think the knock down shot is a must for a GREAT golfer.

JasonMacIsaac, you are a 1.7 handicap and don't play this shot? You could be a -5!
I can play a knockdown shot but playing a 6 iron from 90 yards is simply stupid no matter what the wind is. I can see using more club because of the wind but to an extent like that simply has little purpose. Yes I play on a links style course and I am an excellent wind player. I would really like to see someone in a large money match try a 6 iron from 100 yards when its obvious a normal knockdown shot with a PW would give much more control.

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
A tour player like vijay singh hits a pw say 130 or 135....he is playing at saint Andrews and has 135 on the second hole with a long run off, there is no way with no wind that the guy is going to hit a 6 iron from 135....no way in hell. Even if there is 30 MPH of wind I still think he only hits an 8 iron or 7 at worst. Thats basicly the same as what the previous poster is saying.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
80 yards uphill.....pw played slightly forward in my stance,....and hope it will sit.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
definitely

JasonMacIsaac - I can play a knockdown shot but playing a 6 iron from 90 yards is simply stupid no matter what the wind is. I can see using more club because of the wind but to an extent like that simply has little purpose. Yes I play on a links style course and I am an excellent wind player. I would really like to see someone in a large money match try a 6 iron from 100 yards when its obvious a normal knockdown shot with a PW would give much more control.

I 100% agree. I thought you meant to float it up every time. It has been extremely windy every round I have played in the chicago area and I have been playing a PW from 90 all the time.

This shot is money. Squeeze it, keep your hands down, and watch it sit and spin.

🔥 Latest posts