• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Huge personal clubmaking hurdle passed..

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
As I'm sure many of you know, I'm a big Cally fan. I love their drivers, hate the clubmaking that is associated with them. PITA.

Anyways, it's winter, cold, and you know what happens.

My backup FT-5 shows up today with a sparkling new Graphite Designs Pershing stiff shaft in it. I loathe GD product, so this has to go.

I have attempted a Fusion head shaft extraction in the past and erred on the side of caution to not ruin the head. This process eats alot of heads and has snagged even the best of club builders.

Tonight was not such a night. I got down and dirty and cranked that sumbitch off and laughed my ass off in the process! :thumbs up:

I now have a perfectly extracted head and a minty Pershing awaiting a new home.

This was a huge monkey off my back when it comes to the average joe at home club making event. I was worried I'd never try it again, but I had to give it a shot. My guess is that i bag this thing because of it's history with me, and I've had it one day. LOL. :D

Anyways, might not be big news to many of you, but to those that have tried this, it's a pretty decent feat to come out of this process unscathed.

Special thanks to Frank at Ace of Clubs for the tips, Ken at Victory for the answers to many, many e-mails about the subject (thanks again Kenny!) and to Lyle to got me to man up and give this thing a go again. Not an ego thing, just something you gotta do before you die. :thumbs up:

Anyways, Rockford's clubmaking shop is open for business. I honour no warranties and some stuff you might not get back. So, who's first up? :biglol:

R35

PS...if someone wants that Pershing 65, let me know. 44", perfect tip, .350, stiff flex.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Great job Rock. If you fall off the horse, get straight back on.

I haven't even tried woods yet but looking forward to it when I get around to it.

I'm not a huge GD fan either, but the Pershing has always intrigued me. Any idea on how it plays?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
What do you want for it Rock? I need a stiff shaft for my son's driver.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Very nice! I can't wait to get into this clubmaking "hobby". I've still got a few more things to buy here and there... maybe in the next month... we'll see! :)

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Whatcha want for the shaft? I'm drooling over getting another shaft to try out while it's not "go" time on the course.

I'm |__| close to getting Ken to put a fuji ATL in one my tour burner heads.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Great job Rock. If you fall off the horse, get straight back on.

I haven't even tried woods yet but looking forward to it when I get around to it.

I'm not a huge GD fan either, but the Pershing has always intrigued me. Any idea on how it plays?

Pershing 65 - 69g .350" tip .600" butt
4.0" PTS 3.4* torque
MID bend/MID launch
MSRP $120.00

Dunno how it plays, but GD and i have never been friends. In it's defense, it supposedly is the more firm than previous GD models. It's not the YS series.

What do you want for it Rock? I need a stiff shaft for my son's driver.

Send me a PM with an offer. Shaft is MINTY.

Very nice! I can't wait to get into this clubmaking "hobby". I've still got a few more things to buy here and there... maybe in the next month... we'll see! :)

Don't get caught up in thinking that Fusions are a good starting point, because I would recommend leading your penis to make it into a pencil as an easier endeavour.

But making your own wedges, irons and woods is something else. It's a disease, i'll warn you. You keep challenging yourself, fall down, but get back up. I really enjoy it.

I'm no pro, but I feel like I could do just about anything if given the opportunity and the tools.

Whatcha want for the shaft? I'm drooling over getting another shaft to try out while it's not "go" time on the course.

I'm |__| close to getting Ken to put a fuji ATL in one my tour burner heads.

Again, I have no clue. Send me a PM with an offer of what you think it's worth. Specs are above.

R35

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'll let dubya have the dibs since he asked. If he doesn't bite, LMK what you might want for it, I don't want to lowball, since I don't have a ton of cash lately.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Good work Rock. At least you didn't stop halfway through this time and end up 'tipping' the shaft 1.5" for no reason. ;)

03trdblack

Oct 11, 2006
Congratulations on the pull. I remember when I pulled the E360 from my FT-5. I was so nervous that I was going to screw it up. Once that moment hit when the shaft popped out I was soooo relieved.

BTW, what do you want for the Pershing?

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'll let dubya have the dibs since he asked. If he doesn't bite, LMK what you might want for it, I don't want to lowball, since I don't have a ton of cash lately.

No one does. LOL.

I'm taking offers via PM. Whoever wants it most gets it.

Good work Rock. At least you didn't stop halfway through this time and end up 'tipping' the shaft 1.5" for no reason. ;)

No reason? That FT-i pull was a sumbitch. That thing would just not release and I was more apt to keep the head intact over a shaft that wouldn't work for my swing anyways. :D

Rock!

Way ta go!

Thanks Rory. Might be a simple feat for you guys, but for a guy with a $50 puller and a little patience, it's bigtime. ;)

I coulda got it on my stove. :D

You mean the back of the head to come away from the Ti face?

I hope your stove is sturdier than your futon! :p

The futon provides the pulling power.

Congratulations on the pull. I remember when I pulled the E360 from my FT-5. I was so nervous that I was going to screw it up. Once that moment hit when the shaft popped out I was soooo relieved.

BTW, what do you want for the Pershing?

I wouldn't risk a pull for a E360. Just not worth screwing up the head for a $20 shaft. But great work, nonetheless! That's no small feat as I'm sure you know! :thumbs up:

R35

Members online

No members online now.