• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hunters that hunt from stands

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Not a ton of hunters in this forum but there are a few...hopefully you all wear harnesses while in tree stands. If not, I ask that you at least look into it for your family's sake.

Since I now have a lease and several stands that are permanent, I wanted a way to be connected from ground to being in the stand and back down again without a lot of hassle...

Started some research, and finally decided to make my own lifelines. This is a larger diameter climbing rope that's attached to the tree above the stand, and runs all the way down to hte bottom of the tree and is tied off to either the steps or to the tree itself. On that there's a smaller diameter rope tied in a prusik knot. A prusik knot slides up and down the main line easily with your hand, but binds on the main line when pulled in a specific manner such as when you fall.

You can buy these pre-made for about $40 each. I made mine for about $17 each.

Materials:

7/16" main line: I got 150 feet(4 stands). You need enough to reach from waist height, to head height above the stand, plus enough for a loop, plus enough to go around the tree. So for a 25' base stand height, 30+ feet depending on the size of the tree.
5/16" prusik line: You need about 4 feet for each prusik knot. I got 30 feet.
Climbing rated carabiner: Your choice, I prefer a locking style.
Your choice of either hunting style or climbing style harness. I have an HSS and like it...lots to choose from

Cut the rope to length:
First of all you will need to cut the climbing rope, the best way to do this I found was taping where you want to cut with climbers tape, cutting with a razor blade, burning the ends while still taped, and then removing the tape and burning some more to get those outside pieces.

Like this

Tie a figure eight loop knot in one end of the main line. Example:
fig4-19.gif

I also tie a square knot or overhand knot in the tag end(leave a long tag end) for a safety even though the figure eight should not slip, it's just peice of mind. Make sure you take the time to dress the knot well so that the loop isn't huge. It's just a waste of rope.

You then need to tie the ends of the prusik rope together using a double fishermans knot: Make sure you really tighten this knot up hard. You absolutely don't want this coming apart in a fall.

Here's how to tie a prusik: leave the knot on the end that you connect to, not next to the rope. Leaving the knot next to the main line has been said to cause problems with the knot binding, although it always binded when I tested it that way.

So, wrap the main line around the tree, pull the rope through the loop so it binds on the tree. Tie off the long line of the rope down at the bottom of the tree. Tie on the prusik knot. Done.

Attach your harness to the prusik via your locking carabiner and push the prusik up the line with you as you ascend the tree. Push the prusik all the way up the line while in the tree and tug on it to make sure it bites, and when you're ready to get down just grab above the prusik and pull it down with you as you descend.

It literally could not be easier once it's on the stand and it's not that hard to build either. Just hook up, and go. You're never unattached from the tree, even if you fall getting into/out of your treestand or climbing, it will catch you.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I don't go for all that hassle. All of my stands are climbers, with the exception of my Lone Wolf lock-on but it is just as mobile as the climbers. As much as I jump around, that would be a lot of extra work. I'm safe. I wear a safety vest and tether myself to the tree.

Ever had to hug a tree and slide down? It's not fun. I lost the bottom out of an old climber one time when I was about 20' off the ground. The only way down was to hug the tree and slide down. I was really wishing I had cover-alls on. The top half of my cloths were up around my neck when I got to the ground. Not cool.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I love my lone wolf climber...however having stands that you just simply climb into is so nice.

Do you tie the bottom and top of your climbers together? If not, check out third hand archery for their stabilizer straps. I won't use a climber without them.

This is more for hang on's that don't move much. Actually, it's so quick once you have them built, I would put them on all my hang on's and ladder stands.

For climbers though, it's not a good system.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I love my lone wolf climber...however having stands that you just simply climb into is so nice.

Do you tie the bottom and top of your climbers together? If not, check out third hand archery for their stabilizer straps. I won't use a climber without them.
I do now, lol. I buy paracord in bulk and I braid my own. I use it for all kinds of stuff. I actually wrap the arm rests of my stand in cord to make them quiet.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I like that idea, however, you're missing a key feature of the stabilizer straps. When at height, the straps can be tightened, which locks the tree stand to the tree...so no more standing up and having the upper part of the climber either come loose or slide down the tree since your weight isn't keeping it cammed against the trunk.

Third hand archery's bow holder is amazing also, you can climb with the bow in the holder.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I like that idea, however, you're missing a key feature of the stabilizer straps. When at height, the straps can be tightened, which locks the tree stand to the tree...so no more standing up and having the upper part of the climber either come loose or slide down the tree since your weight isn't keeping it cammed against the trunk.

Third hand archery's bow holder is amazing also, you can climb with the bow in the holder.
I don't have any problems with my climbers slipping but it would be a nice preventative.

btw, how much for a braided paracord gun sling?

The cord is cheap at Rural King, it's around $50 for 1k ft. Would need the clips. What are they, $10?

I recommend this braid:

howtomaketwocolorsurvivalbracelet8.png

It would be super easy to do. Plus, if you would would have a lot of leftover cord for a wide variety of apps.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I don't have any problems with my climbers slipping but it would be a nice preventative.

The cord is cheap at Rural King, it's around $50 for 1k ft. Would need the clips. What are they, $10?

I recommend this braid:

howtomaketwocolorsurvivalbracelet8.png

It would be super easy to do. Plus, if you would would have a lot of leftover cord for a wide variety of apps.

I think I'll try it out!

I can't find any 550 on rural king's site though...can you link me to it?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online