• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hurricane Dennis -- Bring It!!!!!!

Massimo

Captain Obvious
May 31, 2005
Well, about 18 hours from now, Hurricane Dennis will unleash it's fury on us here in the Florida Panhandle. My Bro-in-Law, (ShotTalk ID: ROY), and I visit this site a lot and live about 90 miles East of Pensacola. This is getting to be about Stupid. Four hurricanes hit Florida last year and two of them impacted the Panhandle -- The worst being Ivan, which devasted Pensacola and sent us crap load of tornadoes.

We got in a last round early this morning before the rain started and plan to hit the course again after the storm. Maybe it won't impact us as much. Maybe just a lot of Wind and rain -- Well, wind will be about 100 miles an hour and about 3 feet of rain..... Crap......

Pray for us.......

** Do u think that I can hit that Precept ball I found at the course today into a 100-mile per hour gust??

Playdead

Jun 30, 2005
Good luck and be safe. I love Pensacola Beach and that area of the panhandle. It's one of me and my wife's favorite vacation spots. Sadly it looks like we'll have to stay away another year.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Hey Massimo:

I don't know if you are online now or not...but it looks like you are going to get pounded pretty good...

Good luck with it today. Hope you have a generator if you need one.

Here is a generator Tip for you from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

If you buy a generator during a 'Hurricane event' and live in a Federally Declared Disaster Area - FEMA will Pay you for your new generator and more.

I bought a generator one day before Ivan hit. A week later, I filed a claim with FEMA. They paid me $913 for a generator that cost $529 plus tax...

Don't know if this will help you or not but it was great for me and my parents.

caddyshackgolf

Be The Ball
Feb 22, 2005
Well I hope you get through the hurricane all right, talking about the precept I think you should hit it I figure with 100 mile an hour wind you can gain 100's of yards off your drive lol jk. Really though hope you get through it alright.

Roy

Grip it and Rip it
May 29, 2005
Well Right now we just got power back but the wind is crazy, It didnt hit right next to us like they though so we got suckered into buying a crapload of stuff for nothing " again " hehe but i guess its a good thing right? Anyhow just a update.

Oh by the way he hit the ball into the wind it went up about 80 yards and started curving back to us we had to duck hahah

PS just kidding :wow:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Bravo said:
I bought a generator one day before Ivan hit. A week later, I filed a claim with FEMA. They paid me $913 for a generator that cost $529 plus tax...

So, natural disasters are basically about screwing the government, hey? :p

(Nice work!)

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Rockford35 said:
So, natural disasters are basically about screwing the government, hey? :p

(Nice work!)

R35

I loved it...after all these years of paying taxes...

I buy a generator and read on the internet that FEMA will reimburse you...so I register on their website - skeptical.

Suddenly - a few days later- a man appears at my home and takes my claim. He asks for my receipts, etc.

Then - a month later...here comes the check.

Government in Action...and for once - I came out on the good end....

OP
Massimo

Massimo

Captain Obvious
May 31, 2005
Well, We didnt get pounded as we thought. A little wind here and there. Almost like a bad thunderstorm. The problem with Ivan was all the Tornados, but we got thru the most of it great. Now, Monday morning its sunny and warming up and drying out.......

Didnt get a chance to hit a ball. I fell asleep thru the excitement of the hurricane..LOL

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Yeah we dodged a bullet here too. We lost power for a few hours overnight and it was on when I woke up.

It is off again now and I am on battery power and dial up...

But I'll take it...

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Sounds like everyone is safe so good deal.

Please feel free to send some of the rain this way. It's been over 40 days without rain and everything is very brown. Of course it's suppose to be 100F or over every day this week so we got that going for us. :p

Triple-R

Worm Burner
Jul 11, 2005
Dennis left us with some really nice weather yesterday. Infact I didnt see any rain at all. (South Louisiana)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Word up guys, I'm glad everything went smoother than expected.

If it helps, it's +30 here all week. I haven't seen a cloud for 4 days.

(Now, how many times in my lifetime will I ever get to say that? :biglol: )

Cheers,

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
DaveE said:
Sounds like everyone is safe so good deal.

Please feel free to send some of the rain this way. It's been over 40 days without rain and everything is very brown. Of course it's suppose to be 100F or over every day this week so we got that going for us. :p

Dave:

My brother-in-law lives in Houston. We saw them over the 4th of July...

He said that June was the driest on record there. They got .06 of an inch. In Houston, that is hard to believe...

And they have had temps in the very high 90's with all of that humidity. At least you have lower humidity in the Hill Country - not to mention being a much prettier area...

Hope you get some rain soon...this was a weird storm though. We got only 1.6 inches. It came through very fast and left. Never rained really hard at all...

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo said:
Dave:

My brother-in-law lives in Houston. We saw them over the 4th of July...

He said that June was the driest on record there. They got .06 of an inch. In Houston, that is hard to believe...

And they have had temps in the very high 90's with all of that humidity. At least you have lower humidity in the Hill Country - not to mention being a much prettier area...

Hope you get some rain soon...this was a weird storm though. We got only 1.6 inches. It came through very fast and left. Never rained really hard at all...

Our normal June is over 2.5 in. and this year was 0" and so far July is zip as well. But you're right about the humidity, Houston is so much worse.

I've just never seen it this dry this early. We're extremely lucky because our house came with a deeded easement to the lake so we can water as much as we need for free. I can't imagine what our water bill would be without it.

The worst part is that I'm having tough time getting motivated to go play. I usually have more free time in the afternoons but it's not that much fun to go tee off when it's 102.

But hey, it could be worse. I could have a new puppy poop'in on my floors. :p

🔥 Latest posts