• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hurt so good/Tn. trip report

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Well, guess I'm the first one home so I'll start the thread. 1st off, I'm pretty sure a great time was had by all involved. I know I had a blast. The only sad thing was not more could make the trip. It was just me, eracer, Doc, and eclark. However, I do want to say, 3 nicer golfers you couldn't meet. eclark is 22 years old but fit right in with us old farts. Doc and eracer and eclark are all super nice and all 3 are a hoot to be around. If any of you ever get a chance to play a round of golf with any of them, jump at the chance. But don't give Doc any strokes, he has game.

The weather was perfect Friday and Saturday, and Sunday started out ok. The cabin was hardly rustic, and actually very nice. Central heat and air, a gas fireplace, fully stocked kitchen, cable tv and nice beds. A gorgeous view looking out on the lake. Sorry for the lack of drunken posts, but there was no internet available, :p

The course is gorgeous, but I do believe Jack was in a bad mood when he designed this one. I've played a couple of his courses before this one, and they were a breeze compared to Tim's Ford. The fairways were fairly tight, and lined with this native grass. The course is in a State Park and is a refuge for wildlife, so I guess they aren't allowed to cut this native grass. Right now it is ONLY mid calf deep, but if your ball went in there, a wedge out into the fairway was the BEST you could hope for. This is a Links style course, or was designed to be anyway. Lots of DEEP bunkers, and postage stamp sized greens. The only problem there was that they redid the greens last fall with Bermuda, and the were HARD and FAST. However, for a Links style course there are a lot of trees that have probably grown in since the course was designed. So driving was at a premium, and sadly, nobody but Doc was exactly splitting the fairways. The deep bunkers also has this powdery fine sand in the majority of them, something I am not used to. I will admit that other than a couple of fairway bunker shots I was successful getting out of, I never once got out of a greenside bunker in one try. And I wasn't the only one having trouble with them, :D

Friday me and Doc and eracer arrived early and played 18 holes in perfect weather. eclark arrived later so he didn't make Friday's round.Doc and myself had just completed a 6+ hour drive and weren't exactly swinging that smoothly. eracer was the smart one and had done most of his drive Thursday. After the round we went to the cabin and meet eclark, had some delicious Pork Loin and yellow rice and sat around getting to know each other. Everyone was pretty tired from our drives and we had a 8:03 tee time so Friday night was rather sedate.

Saturday morning was perfect for a early morning round of golf, although perfect golf was not played. The course had a TON of wildlife on it, and the deer are practically tame because firearms are not allowed in the Park. The deer pictures are not zoomed in, we were that close to them and they were everywhere. The course wasn't busy for the morning round a we breezed around in a little less than 4 1/2 hours, not bad for a 4some. Ate some lunch and then played 18 more. The 2nd 18 was a little slower as the crowd had picked up but it still wasn't unbearable.

Once back at the cabin the drinking commenced, except for eclark who had just had some dental work done and couldn't drink, poor guy. But he had brought some Brats and Wisconsin cheese down and we had another great meal. The rest of night was spent playing poker and drinking and lying, :D

Sunday we got up early, not an easy feat for me anyway, thanks for the great Scotch eracer, :faintthud It was sprinkling with a forecast of severe thunderstorms so we got to the course early and were told to go on out and play as many as we could, and settle up afterwards. Southern hospitality at its best at Tim's Ford. The 1st 3 holes it was actually nice, then it started raining a bit harder, and by the last 3 holes it was pretty miserable so we called it quits after just 9.

pics to follow in next post

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
pics, sorry, but I'm not Lyle or Rockford, cheap camera and I take crappy pictures anyway.

1st pic, eclark and eracer
2nd, eclarks swing, very nice and fluid
3rd, Doc with eclark and eracer in the cart
4th, Doc and one of the million bass boats we saw.
5th, Doc with eracer trying to get out of the nasty bunkers
Tn trip pictures 002.jpg
Tn trip pictures 003.jpg
Tn trip pictures 004.jpg
Tn trip pictures 006.jpg
Tn trip pictures 008.jpg

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Can't believe only four guys showed! You've been planning this for months. Anyway, sounds like a great time was had by all, except clark. It sucks being the only one sober when everybody else is drinking.

Let's hear some scores!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Got back late last night. What a miserable rainy drive home....yuck.

Guys, it was an absolute pleasure to spend the weekend with all of you. I enjoyed the hell out of myself; you old farts are great fun! I really hope we can get back together next year with more members of the board!

We got some tips from some locals about other nice places to do the stay and play thing but i have a feeling it will be tough to beat the price on this place although playing somewhere else would be fun.

My first round was probably my best. By the last 9 on saturday(played 36) i was getting tired and not swinging well at all. Made 3 birdies on the weekend though so i guess it wasnt all bad. Bunkers were definatly nasty, on particular one i think is about 3 feet deeper now after Doc and Dub got done with it ;)

I have pics but i am going back to bed for a while...got quite few of the cabin and some leisure time pics of the guys.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Only 3 feet deeper is probably a conservative estimate. Picture that commercial with the guy hacking away at the bunker numerous times. All these bunkers needed was the wooden sides and you'd think you were in Scotland. I've played a bunch of courses and I've never seen bunkers like these.

eclark has a gorgeous swing, very smooth and fluid. I have a video of him teeing off, but I won't post it without his ok. He can pound the ball too. He was playing a 12º Renegade and skying that thing, but still putting it way down the fairway.

Doc has game like I said. He may not be the longest hitter, but he tends to keep it in the fairway, which is more than I can say I was doing. I'm pretty sure Doc won all the rounds though.

eracer had a good weekend to score wise I think. I didn't keep the scores, and don't want to know what mine were anyway, they were that ugly. But I'm pretty sure eracer and eclark put up some decent numbers considering the course.

The only thing I was hitting half way decent was my irons other than very few decent drives. I didn't start putting decent until the last 3 holes Sunday after eracer insulted my putting, :D If we do this again eracer I want you to insult it on the 1st tee box. Maybe then I can at least sink a few putts. :laugh:

eclark, I had a great time too. If there is anyway I can pull it off financially I'll make the trip up there in June. I'd love to hang with you some more and meet the rest of the cheese heads. Speaking of cheese, that was some great cheese you brought down to go with the Brats.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Great pics and wish I could have been there! So all Doc's whining in here is a front for making money on bets? I figured as much. :D

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Great report, mddubya.

Looking at those pictures, the first thing I notice is that I really need to go on a diet. :)

I had a great time with you guys and I know we will have to have another get together sometime.

I'm sure my bunker play is much improved now, after all of the practice I had on that course. I should have counted all of the bunkers; I think I may have missed one.........
Picture 017.jpg
Picture 010.jpg
Picture 009.jpg
Picture 019.jpg
Picture 021.jpg

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
So--the yellow and plaid is mddubya? MCDavis may have to move over!
Hey, if you want me to move over for a lady friend, that's one thing, but for a guy??? Not happening!

Well, maybe for eracer....or Jeff-Jeff in a moment of druken desperation...

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online