• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hybrid demos coming up

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I've got 13 in the bag at the moment.

1) The TM R540 driver
2) The Sonartec SS-03 14
3) The Sonartec SS-03 19.
4) Titleist DCI irons 4-PW.

I have a substantial gap between the Sonartec 19 and the Titleist 4 iron. I can hit the Sonartec 19 about 210-220. I hit the 4 iron about 185 - 190.

I need a 200 yard club that will hit the green and sit and stop.

I am demoing this week:

1) TaylorMade Rescue Mid
2) Hogan
3) Sonartec Md.

All are lofted at 21 or 22. The Hogan has a steel shaft (which I think I will like bc I want something to approximate an iron feel).

The Sonartec has the UST iRod shaft which is built specifically for hybrids.

The TaylorMade has an Aldila Hybrid 85S shaft.

Hope to make a decision in the next week or so and get the club.....

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
I know it's not on your list, but I just got a Nickent Genex 3DX 4H (23*) for Christmas this year and that club has been an EXCELLENT club for me so far.

I took it for our round today and was hitting it about 200, although the launch monitor tells me something more like 220 when it's 72*, as opposed to about 8*C, but I digress

I hit my 5 iron in the range that you hit your 4 iron, so this might be an excellent 200'ish yard club for you (or you might try the 3H from them as well).

It was recommended to me by the guy at my golf shop that hits every club under the sun and claimed it just felt better than the other hybrids. I haven't hit the others, but I do know that this one feels good and has a good "irony" feel to the swing, which I like.

Just a thought, maybe give it a try if it's an option.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Interesting that you bring that up.

I got the demo clubs from Edwin Watts which is a chain of golf stores.

At checkout - I remembered the Genex and asked about it. They told me they did not carry the line.

I will find one locally and demo it.

They are highly rated by Golf Digest also.

thanks for the tip

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I am seriously considering a 3 iron replacement as well. My 4 iron distance is similar to yours so I will be very interested in your results.

I think I mentioned that I have demoed the mid in another thread but have only tried the hogan and md at the range. I remember liking the feel and sound of the hogan. Maybe it's the titanium face. I liked the look and feel of the md but never felt I got the same distance as the other two.

I look forward to your report.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Bravo,

You like your sonartec 3 wood correct.

I would recommend you try out the sonartec md tanscaction series I love mine and it is god out of multiple of lies also the stock shaft is great and the club feels great give it a try and let me know what you think.

The master

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
The master said:
Bravo,

You like your sonartec 3 wood correct.

I would recommend you try out the sonartec md tanscaction series I love mine and it is god out of multiple of lies also the stock shaft is great and the club feels great give it a try and let me know what you think.

The master

I will hit it this afternoon and let you know. I am looking at the club more for an iron replacement rather than a "trouble club"....

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Yeah that is the problem get a 24* that will proabaly replace your 3 iron though it is the lof of a 4 iron, it will be stronger, if you have problems hooking maybe this club isn't for you it is a bit of a hook machine at times but so is the TM to me, you will be able to hit this better than your 3 iron and it will go higher.

I'm always willing to lend a friemdly hand to Teh Bravo. ;)

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
The master said:
Yeah that is the problem get a 24* that will proabaly replace your 3 iron though it is the lof of a 4 iron, it will be stronger, if you have problems hooking maybe this club isn't for you it is a bit of a hook machine at times but so is the TM to me, you will be able to hit this better than your 3 iron and it will go higher.

I'm always willing to lend a friemdly hand to Teh Bravo. ;)

This is the kind of input I am seeking.

I am a right to left player and do not need anything that will encourge more right to left ballflights.

I had heard that the Taylor Made (in particular) tended to have a "draw bias" to help out the average player who fades or slices the ball.

Ideally, I'd like a neutral club. Maybe the Hogan??

The master

Oct 24, 2004
The only club I have hit that is pretty neutral even though my natural shot is a 5 yard draw is the TM tp I have nearly every rescue, utiliity around, I hook the piss out of the t/made hogen, mizuno driving iron, nickent and the rest, the sonartec is the best that I benift from becuase I prefer the squarer head and a "slightly lower ball flight than the t/made.

Alough it is hard to say never seing you swign, I personally think you will benifit from the tp it is possibly the best for a natural right to left ball hitter like yourself.

You just need to demo, and make sure you get fitted correct.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Bravo said:
This is the kind of input I am seeking.

I am a right to left player and do not need anything that will encourge more right to left ballflights.

I had heard that the Taylor Made (in particular) tended to have a "draw bias" to help out the average player who fades or slices the ball.

Ideally, I'd like a neutral club. Maybe the Hogan??
Stay away from the Nickent the, Bravo. I have the 15.5*, and the feel and trajectory is immaculate. But the closed face turns it into a hook monster. I used it twice and relegated it to the ho pile.
The good news is that now I have a great hybrid headcover for my Knight 22*.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo, now that you've chosen the TM, I'm curious what you thought about the md. I demoed it twice and while I was somewhat determined to like it, I just didn't get the same distance as the TM or Hogan.

Not sure if the shaft is just not right for me or what. Anyway, what did you think of it?

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
DaveE said:
Bravo, now that you've chosen the TM, I'm curious what you thought about the md. I demoed it twice and while I was somewhat determined to like it, I just didn't get the same distance as the TM or Hogan.

Not sure if the shaft is just not right for me or what. Anyway, what did you think of it?

I liked it. The reason I did not choose it was bc it hit the ball somewhat lower and hotter than the TM. My criteria was a club that would fly the ball 200 yards and then hit the green and stop pretty well. We have two long par 3's where I need this shot in my bag - as well as long approaches from the fairway.

I was not interested in the "rescue" aspects. I am fairly sure that these will come along with the "package" and I am pleased about that, but this - FWIW - was my buying criteria...

I hope this helps you. The club is ready and I am going to pick it up Friday afternoon and hit it on the range for a few minutes. I am playing on Saturday morning but doubt that I will use it more than once or twice.

I hope I like it and am still concerned about hitting it right to left. My pro hit about 20 with it and did not feel it was biased too hard that way. I hit about 120 balls with it and I got shots that went both directions. I liked its workability....

Time will tell. It really takes me several months to know if I truly like a club or not and how to work it.

If I don't like it - to ebay it goes bc I have $175 in it. A ton of $ for one club that may or may not be brought out of the bag in a given round...

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Bravo said:
If I don't like it - to ebay it goes bc I have $175 in it. A ton of $ for one club that may or may not be brought out of the bag in a given round...

It's funny that we think that way. We'll spend so much money on putters, wedges, LOADS on drivers, etc...but if it's something we're a little unsure of, it's an immediate reaction to think "wow, that's a lot of money for that club."

I know what you're saying Bravo, because it can be distinguished from, for example, putters because you'll use a putter every round for sure. But I know dudes that have $150 - $200 wedges that they might only use once or twice a round (such as a lob wedge). I only use my lob wedge if I go into the sand (we have a more compact sand here and a lob is an ideal wedge for this...I've found) or if I'm in a real trouble spot that requires a flop or really high pitch. Mind you, my LW was only $39 CDN.

Maybe you'll take a liking to it a la Todd Hamilton and use it all over the place. I've taken to using mine off the tee if I'm having an off driver day or if I'm 200 out (mine's a 23* 4H). I've chipped with it (very nicely, might I add) and it's really developed into a favourite in my bag in just two rounds.

My 7 wood on the other hand is about ready to be thrown to the dogs...oy...now there's a club that worked great for a few rounds but has totally left me. I have no confidence with it anymore at all. I feel like it's too long to replace an iron comfortably - I'm hitting it fat constantly, either that or sky-slicing it. I realize that it's not the club's fault, but I'll blame the club regardless. I'm thinking of trading it in (it's an Adams Ovation that I paid $145 or so for last year) for a Genex 3DX 2H. We'll see though.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Silver:

You have some good points - especially for a higher handicapper.

My game is pretty stable now. I play about once a week and have not made an equipment change in about a year.

I have had my irons for 11 years.
I have three wedges and my most recent change in that department was five years ago.
I acquired a new driver and new fairway metals 12 months ago.
My putter is 16 years old.

When I am having a hard time with my driver - I drop down to my 14* fairway metal and go from there. I get 230 - 250 with this club from the tee and use it frequently.

I have played with 13 clubs for almost a year and have viewed the hybrid acquisition as something that would help - but was not urgent.

I like the fact that you use your club around the green so much and look forward to trying mine for this same purpose. I still think I'll pull it out of the bag 1-2 per round or not at all depending upon tee/pin locations and wind conditions.

If I am wrong though and use it more often - it will be a good thing....I'll keep you posted on my usage..

bravo

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.